The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Im not a particularly sporty person, F1 being the only sport I enjoy and follow.   We had Sky HD before they picked up the coverage and F1 was included in their HD bundle so its not cost me anything extra.  If they lose it and I have to start paying to watch I will have to think carefully as it will depend on the cost and the quality of the coverage.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    Andre Lotterer: you utter twat. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Have the French barrier repairers gone on strike of something?
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4526
    This guy is flying

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    That safety car restart - Fernando on the dirt trying to stop #7 getting away..!! :o 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    5 hours in and this is proving to be very interesting.  Nice to see cars that can drive fast but also very close together.  Also having the different classes in the same race means lots of overtaking action.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Gutted for SMP racing. Heartbreaking for them. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 6988
    Andre Lotterer: you utter twat. 

Somebody told him right before the start that the race was only one lap.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Interesting ..... not going electric ...

The Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO) has announced that there will be a hydrogen fuel cell class at Le Mans in 2024, stating that the technology is “the next objective” in decarbonising motorsport.

Seven multinational car and parts manufacturers, a panel of experts and the French CEA energy research institute are participating in the project, which will see fuel cell cars competing at the 24hr de Le Mans race in six years’ time.

“Hydrogen is the future of decarbonised mobility,” said Pierre Fillon, ACO president. “We are no longer simply making promises of intention, but have already put our groups of experts and manufacturers to work.”

“We will be ready for 2024, and we will see a hydrogen-powered class competing at Le Mans.”

Endurance racing is well known for technological contributions, especially in the field of efficiency, that filter down to everyday road cars. The most prominent teams taking part in the World Endurance Championship (of which Le Mans 24h is a part) are better-known for their production models, and many already have experience with fuel cell cars.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    @DesVegas ;  Cool video. Can you explain the context for us non-gearheads? I've heard of Nürburgring as a test-car circuit, but what we are seeing there looks like regular folk who have paid to have a chance to drive their own car around it - is that the case?  Got to say that the mix of (obviously very capable) drivers in extremely fast cars with what just looked like everyday commuter cars seemed very risky - but I guess people are briefed about passing rules and so on when they buy the tickets?
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4526
    @Moominpapa
    I don't know too much about it but it would appear you can just buy a ticket and go round with any car. They all seem to know what to do when a faster car is coming up from behind so there must be a briefing too
    DesVegas said:
    @Moominpapa
    I don't know too much about it but it would appear you can just buy a ticket and go round with any car. They all seem to know what to do when a faster car is coming up from behind so there must be a briefing too
    The Nordschleife is technically a German public toll road, so you can arrive at it, pay the toll and have a spin (as it were).  Speed limits are like the autobahns; effectively unrestricted, but the police can stop you if they believe you’re driving dangerously fast.  Overtaking is only permitted on the right.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    Cols said:
    DesVegas said:
    @Moominpapa
    The Nordschleife is technically a German public toll road, so you can arrive at it, pay the toll and have a spin (as it were).  Speed limits are like the autobahns; effectively unrestricted, but the police can stop you if they believe you’re driving dangerously fast.  Overtaking is only permitted on the right.
    Left. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sinbaadi said:
    Cols said:
    DesVegas said:
    @Moominpapa
    Left. ;)
    D’oh!  Meant to say overtaking is NOT permitted on the right.
    Latest on the rumour mill is that Michael Andretti is in talks to buy Force India, which makes a lot more sense than some unknown UK energy drink maker
    Cols said:
    Latest on the rumour mill is that Michael Andretti is in talks to buy Force India, which makes a lot more sense than some unknown UK energy drink maker
    That could be great. I really don't want FI to fall apart as they always achieve so much with so little (if only Williams could do the same..) so an Andretti buy-out is surely a better long term bet than a 2-bit fake-red-bull bunch of "whatever".

It'd be awesome to see what the same guys could do with just a little more cash...
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Signed and sealed! Red Bull to be Honda powered....!!!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    PC_Dave said:
    Excellent. So Honda must be within 20bhp of Renault, and RB will probably push them hard via TR to get both that and reliability up through the rest of this year. They can afford to take loads of penalties since they'll be starting near the back anyway. I wonder if RB to what extent RB can use their semi-secret engine research facility thing everyone was talking about a couple of years back. 

And RB will still beat Mclaren...
    PC_Dave said:
    Excellent. So Honda must be within 20bhp of Renault, and RB will probably push them hard via TR to get both that and reliability up through the rest of this year. They can afford to take loads of penalties since they'll be starting near the back anyway. I wonder if RB to what extent RB can use their semi-secret engine research facility thing everyone was talking about a couple of years back. 

And RB will still beat Mclaren...
    Did RB have another option? Renault had dumped them. RB could have forced Renault to supply them but I doubt RB would have been given much support or addition tech/engine modes.

This could be good for Honda. RB are a better organised team than McLaren.

There are rumours circulating that McLaren employees have staged a protest at how badly the team is run and want a change in management at the top. Can find anything in the papers though.