Clare_Bear's smiley happy thread

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    Apart from my news about my son's school which has its own thread, I also had a good day at work, I submitted my expenses for driving about to meetings and got back over 3 times more than I claimed.  When I spoke to them it turns out the company who recently bought us pay 45p per mile rather than the 11p per mile I was getting.  Will be worth 5 grand plus a year
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    @munckee is that for using your own vehicle?  If it is, your old lot were taking the piss!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nitefly said:
    @munckee is that for using your own vehicle?  If it is, your old lot were taking the piss!

Yes but I get car allowance the old lot said it was for car and maintenance new lot say it's just for car. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    I played the biggest gig of my life last night and am still smiling about it
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Mate of mine has a small building firm and a few years ago like most firms in the trade a major company failed to pay a large invoice leaving him totally washed up.  The generally followed path in that situation is to default on all your debts close the company then restart under another name leaving all the contractors below you to carry the losses.  This chap didn’t want to leave people unable to provide for their families and paid every one of them losing his savings, pension, house and marriage in the process. 

Shortly afterwards I asked him to install decking for us and build an outdoor wooden sink for  my autistic son to play in.  When he did the job he refused to take any money for all the wood as he said he ‘had it anyway’ and I had to force some money in his pocket for the labour.

Saw him in the pub last night and he has just won £500,000 on the lottery.  Could not be happier for him!

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    munckee said:

Mate of mine has a small building firm and a few years ago like most firms in the trade a major company failed to pay a large invoice leaving him totally washed up.  The generally followed path in that situation is to default on all your debts close the company then restart under another name leaving all the contractors below you to carry the losses.  This chap didn’t want to leave people unable to provide for their families and paid every one of them losing his savings, pension, house and marriage in the process. 

Shortly afterwards I asked him to install decking for us and build an outdoor wooden sink for  my autistic son to play in.  When he did the job he refused to take any money for all the wood as he said he ‘had it anyway’ and I had to force some money in his pocket for the labour.

Saw him in the pub last night and he has just won £500,000 on the lottery.  Could not be happier for him!

Nice, sometimes life does payback the worthy.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @munckee I guess you'd call that good karma :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    On Saturday, I finally got news that I'm being given the promotion I've been working for for the last 3 years :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    On Saturday, I finally got news that I'm being given the promotion I've been working for for the last 3 years :) 
    Well done chief. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    munckee said:
    Well done chief. 
    Cheers matey :)

It's accompanied by the new that my #1 manager is leaving, so the next few months are going to be a bit nuts, but it's a well-timed opportunity to make myself look good. I already did 80% of her job while she was on maternity leave so should be all good in the long run.

Now just waiting to find out how much they want to pay for the the new role... Have bought a new watch to celebrate :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I have just caught up with the designer of my Trilogy VTi, and arranged with him to overhaul it. 'Tis a much loved piece of kit and I'd be very happy to have it back in operation again. No disrespect to the Quads and Radford I've been using while it's not in service, it is just nice to have the choice!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24263
    edited August 2018
    I was driving down a residential street today when I clocked a large Chihuahua sniffing a parked car wheel on the road side.  Very dangerous place for a little dog, so I stopped until he'd lost interest and had trotted onto the pavement.  Immediately, several kids came running out of a nearby house followed by several adults, shouting a dog's name.  They spotted him in seconds and whilst one kid hauled the wayward mutt inside, one little girl was still running around, obviously distraught, calling "Daphne!, Daphne!" and looking under cars etc.

I figured there was another mutt who had made a run for if so decided to do a quick recce of the area seeing as I was in the car and they were on foot and the little bugger couldn't have got that far in a short time.  Very shortly after, I turned up a road a few streets away and spotted a little Chihuahua puppy looking rather lost.  I stopped the car, opened the door and called "Daphne, come and see me".  She trotted over the road and climbed onto my outstretched hand.

She was cold and shaking a bit and I headed back to where the family were searching.  The father spotted her in my arms and came running over.  He was very grateful and shook my hand a lot.  The little girl came running over in floods of tears and was ecstatic to have her little doggy back safely.

blush 
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Emp_Fab said:
    I was driving down a residential street today when I clocked a large Chihuahua sniffing a parked car wheel on the road side.  Very dangerous place for a little dog, so I stopped until he'd lost interest and had trotted onto the pavement.  Immediately, several kids came running out of a nearby house followed by several adults, shouting a dog's name.  They spotted him in seconds and whilst one kid hauled the wayward mutt inside, one little girl was still running around, obviously distraught, calling "Daphne!, Daphne!" and looking under cars etc.

I figured there was another mutt who had made a run for if so decided to do a quick recce of the area seeing as I was in the car and they were on foot and the little bugger couldn't have got that far in a short time.  Very shortly after, I turned up a road a few streets away and spotted a little Chihuahua puppy looking rather lost.  I stopped the car, opened the door and called "Daphne, come and see me".  She trotted over the road and climbed onto my outstretched hand.

She was cold and shaking a bit and I headed back to where the family were searching.  The father spotted her in my arms and came running over.  He was very grateful and shook my hand a lot.  The little girl came running over in floods of tears and was ecstatic to have her little doggy back safely.

blush 
    Brilliant job! Hats off to you for that
  • i lost our little chihuahua puppy today, my daughter was heartbroken....then a greasy fat man puled up in an old capri and opened the door .......and to our amazement there she was, shivering and cold, terrified of the big man but safe..thankyou
    4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24263
    edited August 2018
    I was so tempted to stick a comedy false ending to that, like “I said goodbye and pulled away - straight over the dog” or “I picked up the puppy, and now I’m quids in, I’ll get at least £500 for it.”

lol 
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • After a summer of very few students, including some classes where there were more teachers than students, there were quite a lot of kids at judo class tonight. 

Good news for the coffers, but I'm knackered.

Here's hoping that they come back and become regulars.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28034
    Put my mum's old house on the market last Wednesday.

Accepted an offer yesterday for £20k more than we thought we'd get. Cash buyer, no chain. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    Sporky said:
    Put my mum's old house on the market last Wednesday.

Accepted an offer yesterday for £20k more than we thought we'd get. Cash buyer, no chain. 
    Nice one, especially as there’s lots of talk at the moment about the housing market being flat. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28034
    We were sensible about the asking price and what we'd accept. It's also a lovely house in a really quiet road, but you can be in London in under an hour.

We're going to be house hunting in a couple of months - deliberately targeting ones that have been on the market for a while and being downright brutal with offers... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    Sporky said:
    We were sensible about the asking price and what we'd accept. It's also a lovely house in a really quiet road, but you can be in London in under an hour.

We're going to be house hunting in a couple of months - deliberately targeting ones that have been on the market for a while and being downright brutal with offers... 
    Moving? Haven’t you not long spent shedloads (groan)  of money on your workshop? Or is that going with you? @Sporky ;