• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    They were published 20 years apart. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    mart said:
    "Re: New Book: The History of Marshall - The First Fifty Years

I am disappointed in it to be honest. Why show pics of modified gear in it? is it to confuse people?

If you already know about this stuff and can spot the obvious modifications then great, but for those who are competely new I think it sends out the wrong message and just confuses people.

Although I havent read the whole book, I was hoping for a nicely revised section on the old speaker cabinets and celestion speakers, so I skipped to those first.

Instead the appendix section on celestion speakers is exactly the same as in the old book, but omits the T-number reference list.

The speaker cabinet section, although has some nice photos of early rare coffin logo cabs. It then features a pinstripe cab with an obviously non-original big modern white logo slapped on it. How hard would it be to show one with the correct logo, or at the very least remove the incorrect logo for the sake of the photograph? 

All the custom colour cabs shown look like recovers and are super clean. The orange coloured cab has zinc plated t-nuts in the handles! old gear - looks old!!! it is a simple concept.

a quad of T1281's in a bass cab? definitely unusual if original. blackback T1217's shown in basketweave cabs. aaargh. 

and such nuggets of information such as "they swapped to metal handles in 1974". and "the first greenbacks are the ones with pre-rola labels" 

reproduction silver uxbridge road alnico label (music ground) shown as original.

just seems sloppily put together without much thought given to showing honest and untouched gear, or getting the facts right.

I hope the other sections are better researched..."

Ouch.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    Both books are worth owning.

The 1992 book was considered "the bible" for many years until recently. The information may be a bit out dated now, and it does have information and photos contributed by Music Ground (lash-ups), so just be aware of that, but on the whole it is a good read and a good reference book. If you are into vintage gear, it is worth it for the old Marshall catalogues.

The newer book is bigger and has more information inside it, but omits some of the good stuff from the older book - like those old Marshall catalogues. The cab section is a bit disappointing in my opinion but most people will want it for the amps, and there is plenty of info on those in there. It also has a nice 'Park' catalogue inside it.