How to be a good frontman - any tips?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    At the last gig, I ended up saying ‘thanks’ after every song, and it sounded so cliched. Need to avoid that. It’s such a natural instinct though. 

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Wear tight pants with a large pair of socks stuffed down the front.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Whatever you do, don't start waving Gladioli about.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Someone recommended dancing like the Future Islands guy.

I’m not even sure the Future Islands guy should dance like the Future Islands guy.

https://youtu.be/e8Uhf3gM1m0

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • interstellarinterstellar Frets: 486
    one of my mates is a decent front man and if i was to use him as an example i would say this

seriously view yourself as one of gods greatest gifts to planet earth and all who live on her
    curse your lack of flexibilty as it stops you from blowing yourself
    work very hard on being good enough to get away with being the above
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    ijonty said:
    Someone recommended dancing like the Future Islands guy.

I’m not even sure the Future Islands guy should dance like the Future Islands guy.

https://youtu.be/e8Uhf3gM1m0
    I think he's a completely mesmerising front man! Do it!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Something that helped me... if you have trouble with making eye contact during or between songs (I do), then use the actors' technique - scan the audience while looking just fractionally above the eye-line of the furthest people away.

From the front it looks completely natural and everyone, even the nearest ones, will feel included. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I have a few 'throw away lines' typed small on the set list. They can be cheesy or name the songs writers or original artist or year and position in the chart type of thing. If you need to say something you have a nice prompt and can sound knowledgable and confident to fill a silence while someone fiddles with a battery change/broken pedal/slipping hi hat etc.
    People usually want you to entertain them and will give you that courtesy once, some regular pubs and clubs that see a string of bands doing the same rock covers can be hard to please, in that case play well and let the music speak first. Subtle things like a well rehearsed sequay or transition from one song to another or a sharp punctuations of stops/starts make you sound far more competent.
    Relax and enjoy the show.

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391

A ring out is when you end a song with the guitars still ringing out the last chord, e.g no dead stop and it can run into the next one if it’s in the same key. Good if it’s uptempo tunes to keep the energy going.
    Thin Lizzy we’re masters at this, the first half of their set lists were almost always front loaded with non stop greatest hits with no gaps. 
    By the time Phil got round to his banter, the audience were already whipped into a frenzy and eating out of his hand.
    SimonC said:

A ring out is when you end a song with the guitars still ringing out the last chord, e.g no dead stop and it can run into the next one if it’s in the same key. Good if it’s uptempo tunes to keep the energy going.
    Thin Lizzy we’re masters at this, the first half of their set lists were almost always front loaded with non stop greatest hits with no gaps. 
    By the time Phil got round to his banter, the audience were already whipped into a frenzy and eating out of his hand.
    We’re going to give it a go with some of ours. Gig is tonight, so nerves are building...

• EdPhelanEdPhelan Frets: 6
    I've always thought that being somewhat cocky helps, but not to the extent of coming across as arrogant (unless you can back it up, that is)!
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    I used to find it easier to look in the general direction of the crowd... sort of like looking at imaginary people standing in the gaps. That way, to the audience it looks like you're engaging with them and you don't have the awkward eye contact to deal with. Try not to stand still as well.

It's the hallmark of a new band when everyone is just so focused on not messing up you've just got 4/5 guys on stage looking down playing their instruments not moving. Look like you're enjoying it and it's infectious - the crowd will as well.

Good luck!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    edited July 2018
    Don't try to be an off the cuff wit unless you have genuine reasons for thinking that you are a witty guy.  My most excruciating experiences with front men have been standing behind guys who, with a bit of Dutch courage, think their job is to be funny and who just totally aren't. 

Also, be prepared for the possibility you're not cut out for it.  I know a few very good good singers (male and female) who are hopeless at fronting a band, and even after loads of gigs  trying their best just look stiff, nervy and uncomfortable.  If it doesn't work at first,  give yourself a decent chance to grow into it, but if things are not improving be honest with yourself and let someone else have a go.  The singer doesn't have to be the front man.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Channel your inner Freddie.