PSA: SVL 61 Reserve on ebay

What's Hot

Comments

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    If he's manufacturing his own bodies and necks then fair enough. If they are basically well put together partscasters however then that price is a bit scary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Reckless1 said:
    Simon hand builds his own bodies and necks. His guitars are second to none - I've seen many that he's built over the years I've known him. ( he's also a brilliant amp tech )
    No he doesn't. He's just posted this comment on his Facebook page;

'For over 12 years now I have had the majority of my necks machined to my exacting specifications by the worlds finest guitar neck machine shop based in the Pacific North West of the USA, I then of course finish hand shaping the neck and fingerboard edges, I then finish the neck in 100% nitro to whatever style of finish the customer requires, this is the only way I can get absolute consistency from one neck to the next, hand carving each neck from scratch is just not economic or accurate enough.. the results are in my opinion stunning ever time...'

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    SidNewton said:
    Reckless1 said:
    Simon hand builds his own bodies and necks. His guitars are second to none - I've seen many that he's built over the years I've known him. ( he's also a brilliant amp tech )

'For over 12 years now I have had the majority of my necks machined to my exacting specifications by the worlds finest guitar neck machine shop based in the Pacific North West of the USA, I then of course finish hand shaping the neck and fingerboard edges, I then finish the neck in 100% nitro to whatever style of finish the customer requires, this is the only way I can get absolute consistency from one neck to the next, hand carving each neck from scratch is just not economic or accurate enough.. the results are in my opinion stunning ever time...'

Fair play. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14039
    tFB Trader
    SidNewton said:
    Reckless1 said:

I have always being led to believe this was the case - I know a customer who ordered an SVL and went to collect it just as a delivery of wood work had arrived - He was a bit cut up about it believing he built from the 'ground up'

If the spec and features and quality is good enough then no issue with the final result, but the perception does not come across like this and the above comment in this OP support that
  • tsj93tsj93 Frets: 49
    I thought i could tell judging by the build pics on fb never showing the wood blanks
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    This is why i show build progress pics, i think people aren't getting what they think they are and it's wrong imo,  i don't care how good it is he didn't make it and forgot to tell the customers somehow, he must have much more freetime now

How comes they're so expensive must be all the outsourcing 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • tsj93tsj93 Frets: 49
    This is why i show build progress pics, i think people aren't getting what they think they are and it's wrong imo,  i don't care how good it is he didn't make it and forgot to tell the customers somehow, he must have much more freetime now

How comes they're so expensive must be all the outsourcing 
    Agreed mate
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Thanks for sharing. Was there anything mentioned on the bodies and/or finishes? (I’m not on fb)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    SidNewton said:
    Reckless1 said:

I have always being led to believe this was the case - I know a customer who ordered an SVL and went to collect it just as a delivery of wood work had arrived - He was a bit cut up about it believing he built from the 'ground up'

If the spec and features and quality is good enough then no issue with the final result, but the perception does not come across like this and the above comment in this OP support that
    Yes, I always understood that they were CNC’d necks & bodies and Simon then does the final finishing/bolting together/set up. I’ve seen him post pictures staining the necks but not seen any pics to suggest he sprays the bodies too. Can anyone elaborate? 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    edited June 2018
    I'm pretty certain he doesn't spray them either, never seen a raw body or a pic of him in the spray booth...ever. Mind you in his defence his build involvement is no less than a Fender Masterbuilder, you won't see a pic these days of John Cruz in the booth either. Follow this guy on Insta and you will see him spraying ALL the masterbuilders necks and bodies...

https://www.instagram.com/jncolor/
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    So he basically does what Nash does?

I don’t doubt his set up work is very good - but it’s seems you pay a hell of a premium for it....
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    I'd love to compare a guitar build body with handmade neck then finish and set up by someone who knows what they're doing
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Marc Rutter is one of the only guys I know who makes the bodies, necks, sprays and then machines all the hardware (except tuners) himself. A friend of mine has a Tele made by him and its amazing with some unique features. I guess the beauty of dealing with a builder who makes the bodies and necks himself is that you can be very specific over the fine details which if you are paying three grand then you'd want.
     Simon uses the best of the best and that shows, I've played two of his guitars and they were really great but several years ago they cost a friend quite a chunk less than he charges today. But I guess now you are paying a little towards having a guy that deals with gear for the likes of Jeff Beck, Pete Townsend, Robben Ford and Matt Schofield. 
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    BBBlues said:
    Thanks for sharing. Was there anything mentioned on the bodies and/or finishes? (I’m not on fb)
    Nothing mentioned regarding bodies/finishing and strange that he has now removed the aforementioned comment from his Facebook page.
    I'm pretty sure he used to use this supplier as they used a quote from Simon in the past. Whether he still does or not I don't know as they will not supply necks with exact Fender headstock designs.

http://www.usacustomguitars.com/

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    edited June 2018
    My Rocketfire M1926 is all made in house, his Total 60's pickups included. It is unbelievable, way better than any Fender CS guitar I have owned or played, including Masterbuilt (although they have never really seemed any different to Team Built with the ones I have played). Materials are amazing, lovely Madagascar fretboard, it is so well sorted, refuses to go out of tune. In particular, it sounds much better than any other strat I have played, although could be quite a bit down to the pickups. Other top builders (Danocaster etc.) use his pickups, so suppose that says a lot.

It's a 2012 model. I owned it from new, and think the cost of them was about £1700, maybe. I very stupidly sold it when going through a mega fat neck phase, but then got the chance to buy it back for about half what I sold it for. One of the happier days of my life!! 

The interesting bit is, he only made these fully 'built in house' guitars for about 2 years as far as I can make out, then moved to a process of buying in necks. These models were called SRG's, and by all accounts still amazing. Just couldn't make the fully built thing work for the price I guess. Probably a similar story with SVL, although at his prices you would have thought he might stand a chance....

Looks like this below. Borrowed pic as never been able to photo Faded Fiesta Red. Just looks bright red when I do it...

Headstock haters, do your worst! 

• stevehsteveh Frets: 222
    I was strongly considering a SVL a few years ago and it was self-evident that he didn't build the necks / bodies in house. While that isn't necessarily a deal-breaker, I do feel that the attention to detail etc. that comes with being able to shape a neck and weigh the billet for the body from the off etc. brings you to the next level, and the price was getting towards the "next level" bracket. A bit steep for a guitar that was essentially assembled, no matter how precisely. Still, no worse than a Custom Shop and likely recieves far more attention than one of those.
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    I think it will hurt future sales now it's out in the open and I know some builders have never had any doubts that they were assembled guitars.

If you cut the wood yourself you make sure people see the process.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the bodies and necks will be of great quality and I am also certain that they will be assembled and set up perfectly but I am collecting a new Tele next week from a builder who did source the blanks, cut out the necks and bodies and paints them himself for half the price of a SVL.

It's going to make people think about buying one no matter how well they play.
    Wonder why SImon removed this comment about his suppliers, I can only assume he realised that its not great for business.....Simon are you watching this thread? The thing is he is talented enough to cut his own bodies and necks but I guess he just doesn't have the time. He seems to be a very busy and in demand chap, and who's going to turn down Pete and Jeff when the call comes in. Who'd not want to work for them? Plus of course where does it all end, next we would be saying he doesn't mill his own wood.....
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I don't understand what the big deal is.  He doesn't make the necks himself - but someone does, to his specification, with top quality wood and to a high standard. Do we expect makers to do *everything*? Should he wind his own pickups? Cold-roll his own steel trem blocks? Quarry his own iron ore and smelt the steel to make his machine heads?

Some of the comments on this thread are laughable, frankly.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    edited June 2018
    Pacific North West of the USA,
    USACG Mmmm.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"