Sasquatch and on ... Huddersfield Jam #2

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    I recommend a spare pair of pants in your gig bag (fnarr) - just in case the Hudders Grannies rip yours off in a post gig ageing sex pest frenzy of knob n balls action.
    Great imagery, like a sort of ruder Dickens, or less rude Shakespeare...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Snags said:
    @darthed1981 I've been mistaken for a lady twice in recent years. I'm thinking a bit of a grungey look might be necessary protection lest those rough northern types try to do unmentionable things to me
    Crikey, don't get put in prison mate they will pass you around like, well, the soap...
    Where's the soap?

Yep. It does, doesn't it..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    When you meet me, I suspect you'll be all "WTACTUALF?! They thought YOU wuz a bird?!!!!". But nowt so strange as folk.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345

Just to let everyone know that Lee won't now be attending, and the chances of me being there are "slight".
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:

Just to let everyone know that Lee won't now be attending, and the chances of me being there are "slight".
    Oh that's a shame :(
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Thought the rule for pulling out was a 15 page powerpoint presentation that everyone then has to agree to?

Shame though :/
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    edited June 2018
    But it's not a PParty without a TTony. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    McToot said:
    But it's not a PParty without a TTony. 
    WWisdom!
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I'm beginning to think Tony is allergic to oop Norf! 

Or me... 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    TTony said:

That’s a pity - there’s plenty of time to change your mind though....
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    Defo a shame, if so!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Having spent the week listening to the southern jam recordings its reminded me again what an amazing day I had.  I can't make the party but have followed the thread and it seems that following last weekend's idiot of the week winner and the struggle to fill places that @TTony and @Bridgehouse are feeling like they are puttng in blood sweat and tears on others behalfs to make the events and it may be too much for them.

The southern jam was amazing, held together and organised by the two of them with @poopot who has also spent his week organising the tracks since, almost losing an eye in the process!.

It may be that the numbers were slow in agreeing for the party due to holiday season or it may seem too big for people who lack confidence or a million other reasons but please don't lose faith with putting these things together.  I will be at any southern jams I can get to or midlands or anywhere I can get to and back in a day.  I think having now seen the before during and after that participants may have to get more involved with helping to carry some load and we may have to pay a bit more per head as a very wise accountant once told me that if you charge nothing for something people will think it will be worth nothing.

But a massive thanks for putting this stuff on and please keep em coming.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I was just looking at the Soundcloud playlist from the January Jam - and was delighted to see the song I played on had been listened to 46 times.

It then occurred to me that I’ve probably listened to it 45 times....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Ive listened to all the jam recordings - the ones I played on for feedback on how it sounded, the others to hear how others have approached the song (especially the solos) , and to see if I’d want to play that at future songs. I learnt Come Together on guitar (rhythm and lead) and vocals as I loved the Hudds version.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Ive listened to all the jam recordings - the ones I played on for feedback on how it sounded, the others to hear how others have approached the song (especially the solos) , and to see if I’d want to play that at future songs. I learnt Come Together on guitar (rhythm and lead) and vocals as I loved the Hudds version.
    I'm working on my "Champagne Supernova" a bit, will be able to play all the little riffs and fills because someone else is singing!

Any experts on Ace of Spades?  I was looking at some tab (I know tab is evil etc) and was wondering if rhythm on that track can be the power chords (so I'll bring my "metal" guitar tuned to drop D) or if it is considered the riff?
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    edited June 2018
    mrkb said:
    I've done this as well. I've not been happy with my lead playing for a while. My problem is that I don't know a local great lead player. So listening to the jams gives me things to work on, especially hearing others play a song  I've just played.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Second shout out to anyone with some Graphic Design skills? 

The club would like a poster and flier to put out advertising our mini gig. 

Pretty please? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    slacker said:
    mrkb said:
    I've done this as well. I've not been happy with my lead playing for a while. My problem is that I don't know a local great lead player. So listening to the jams gives me things to work on, especially hearing others play a song  I've just played.
    To @slacker and @mrkb do you have "idols" you are working towards, or looking to find your own lead playing styles as you go? 

I'm just curious, myself, there are certain players I'd like to make music like (Bernard Butler, Graham Coxon, James Dean Bradfield, Johnny Marr, Johnny Greenwood, Noel Gallagher etc,) but I always find myself looking at their lead lines tabbed out and noodling around them, to probably quite unimpressive effect!

It's like there is a box, and you are gradually trying to unlock the box, you get one catch loose then keep trying the same thing on the other catches and they get a bit loose, but others dont budge at all!
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    edited June 2018
    To @slacker and @mrkb do you have "idols" you are working towards, or looking to find your own lead playing styles as you go?  

It's like there is a box, and you are gradually trying to unlock the box, you get one catch loose then keep trying the same thing on the other catches and they get a bit loose, but others dont budge at all!
    very succinctly put. For me the shreddy sweep picking catch is seized solid. At quad I tried to get away from slide guitar, at water rats I embraced it. 

The other thing I embraced was that I'm a jack of all trades so I tried some vocals this time.

're idols its anyone whose competent but not out there, so jimi is not an influence even though I thought his Monterey gig video one of the best live performances ever by anyone.

It's about developing as a musician and I think that you and Mark are very useful in any band because you can sing and play more than root position chords.you could front a 3 piece or add a keyboard or another guitar.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    edited June 2018

Any experts on Ace of Spades?  I was looking at some tab (I know tab is evil etc) and was wondering if rhythm on that track can be the power chords (so I'll bring my "metal" guitar tuned to drop D) or if it is considered the riff?

Far from an expert on Ace of Spades, but the blagger's version I learnt for home amusement is a mixture of fills and power chords/barres but focussing on the low three strings.

Tab isn't evil at all. When you've got limited time it's a good starting point. What I normally do is find two or three tabs that have different takes on a song (annoying when you just find the same one in 10 different sites!) and then play along with that whilst also listening to the song. Doing that often means then making minor adjustments (I hesitate to say corrections, but my ears aren't hearing what the tab person heard ) to get something that sounds right to me.

For example, for the acoustic part to ITGWO I've nicked the chords from online for speed, but decided to play some bits of it a bit differently (adding in the bass notes on the Am section) and taking out some random unnecessary/wrong bits from the chorus.  It means I can now do what I need to for ITGWO after a couple of runs through, rather than spending all damn week listening to it, when I don't have time (and I know transcribing it for myself would make me better, but … go hybrid, that's what I say )

Edit: and for my money, you don't need to worry about drop-D for Ace of Spades, either. Unless you're playing it in a weird key.
This discussion has been closed.