What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Chasing the Dragon (2017)

Not great, but I'm a huge fan of both Donnie Yen and Andy Lau, so i couldn't really pass this up. Interesting take on Hong Kong in the 1960s and 70s - I don't know of a British film maker that has thought of tackling this subject so as flawed as this is, it's very watchable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3853
    '71.

Superb. 9/10.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2584
    Deadpool 2. Expected slightly inferior retread of the first one but there’s enough risk-taking, fresh ideas and good jokes to make it better than that. Not a film that’s going to make a deep impact but very well done escapist entertainment. 8/10
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    Terminal.

Margot Robbie can draw a crowd and that plus the noir style drew me in.
    It feels like a Guy Ritchie movie in a few obvious ways.  I am quite able to enjoy a movie for its aesthetic and stylish qualities, but I only really walk away thinking it was a good film if I have invested some shred of interest in what happens to at least one character.  Read: Who should I give a shit about for 90+ minutes?  In this movie, there really isn't anyone to care about.

It imposes the exposition of the characters at the conclusion, but that just makes you think that much of the rest of the movie was all the more pointless.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16256
    Rewatched Deadpool. I don’t love it ( although I do love  Morena Baccarin) but I do enjoy the level of detail and lots of bits I’d forgotten. All the big fight stuff toward the end bores me a bit but there’s much to be said for it otherwise. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    ''Lost in London''.

Bit bizarre, but enjoyable.
    Woody Harrelson finds himself in the middle of cheating scandal which turns his life upside down. Whole movie seem to be a series of events that happen during one night. Really funny references (when English take him for Woody Allen) but the pace and long dialogues resulted in watching movie in two parts. 
    Good, nothing more.
    5/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Spider-Man: Homecoming

Not the greatest of plots and the action scenes are less than thrilling, but I like the portrayal of Peter Parker/Spider-Man as an awkward, clumsy, naive kid - the school scenes work better than the superhero ones - and the cast is excellent.  Certainly an improvement on the previous incarnation.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    Melancholia (2011)

Watched this on recommendation from my little sister with the footnote that "it's weird".  Knew nothing else.

Weird is right!  At times it's so art-house you winner if it's in fact a movie at all.  Quite the cast for such an obscure film but nothing really to grab you at any point.  It obviously spends a lot of energy trying to build tension even though you know what will happen throughout and that is simply interspersed with random weird events and awkward family interaction.

Long too.  I found myself wanting the conclusion to hurry up about an hour before it eventually arrived.

5 points for being different.
    5/10
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16256
    Ghostbusters.

The recent one. Okay family tea time movie I guess. A few things that annoyed me, a few things that I liked but it’s a very slight movie. Bizarrely long ending credits. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    been on a russian theme lately so last two i can remember were 'est-ouest' (1999) & 'elena' (2011).

'est-ouest' is the better. plot from imdb 'June 1946: Stalin invites Russian emigres to return to the motherland. It's a trap'. based on a true situation if not directly on a true story.
    sandrine bonnaire is totally electric in it. one of her best i think. she's like isabelle huppert when she's on fire. same razor-sharp & super-intense vibe.
    plot is robust & compelling & roars along. even presents potential for a few tears, if you are so inclined.
    the russian baddies sometimes seem one-dimensional, but the central really nasty one is spot on.
    anyway, worth the watch. a proper saturday evening film in the art-house vein.

all the trailers make it look awful (hollywood-ised) so this is just a compilation of sandrine being lush.

'elena' won at cannes (& many other places) but i found it heavy & over-ponderous. plot from imdb 'when a sudden illness and an unexpected reunion threaten dutiful housewife Elena's potential inheritance, she must hatch a desperate plan'.
    when it's good it's like prime early krystof kieslowski (more 'ten commandments' than '3 colours'). squalor v luxury, old life v new life, the big moral dilemma. so far so good.
    but the actual plot drags a bit. too much meaningful moping around, too many angsty close-ups at windows. get's cliched. i liked the ending though. no spoilers... but she did good.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Solo

A solid 3.6 out of 5. Entertaining, but predicable to the point that it was literally everything I thought it would be and nothing at all unexpected. And the Han Solo Bingo card tustve been pretty much full by halfway...

Woody Harrelson v good though, as usual.

Would happily watch again on a flight or some such. Not going to buy the bluray
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Watched Miyazaki's Porco Rosso for the first time last week. I'm a big fan of Studio Ghibli stuff and this was right up there among the best. Lots of the usual Miyazaki themes - early aviation, big-hearted pirates, plucky young women, the discipline of engineering. There was a fistfight  that was one of the funniest pieces of animation I've seen for a long time. Also in among the humour was a very solemn scene that was done absolutely beautifully - quite breathtaking. Strongly recommended if you are into animation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    The Great Wall. Mediaeval Chinese hokum with some particularly dodgy CGI (and Matt Damon). Killed an hour and a half but there’s really not much to recommend it. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Watched Miyazaki's Porco Rosso for the first time last week. I'm a big fan of Studio Ghibli stuff and this was right up there among the best. Lots of the usual Miyazaki themes - early aviation, big-hearted pirates, plucky young women, the discipline of engineering. There was a fistfight  that was one of the funniest pieces of animation I've seen for a long time. Also in among the humour was a very solemn scene that was done absolutely beautifully - quite breathtaking. Strongly recommended if you are into animation.
    Probably my favourite Ghibli. Absolutely brilliant.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited June 2018
    I watched Kick Ass 1 and 2 again, what's not to love, funny and brutal.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    Some recent films:
    Thelma (2017) - Norwegian film, girl with psychic powers she doesn't know about, kept suppressed with religious fervour, confused by lesbian feelings at university, discovers about her family history, etc. Bit dull really: 4/10

The Untamed (2016) - Mexican film, strange alien sex tentacles kept in a cabin the woods by a couple of hippies, lovely cinematography. Pretty good will watch again: 6/10

Unsane (2018) - Steven Soderbergh film famously shot on iphones. Woman moved to new city to flee a stalker in her past ... I won't say anymore than that. The usual Soderbergh quirky angles and acting, this time really works. Recommended: 7/10

The Cured (2017) - Irish zombie film with Ellen Page, who seems to turn up in these low budget indies. After the zombie outbreak, "the cured" [of their zombie infection] are trying to reintegrate back into society, while the uncurable are still held in detention. You can guess the plot, nothing special: 4/10

Death Wish (2018) - Bruce Willis's big bald head. Violence. Doesn't really go anywhere, would rather rewatch Charles Bronson: 5/10

Game Night (2018) - comedy with a few known faces. It's ok, has it's moments. It wasn't the worst film ever: 5/10

12 Strong (2018) - based on true story of US Special Forces team deployed in Afghanistan after 9/11. Blah blah. I like Michael Shannon and he's in it, so I can cross it off the list of Michael Shannon films to watch. Mostly annoying: 3/10

Den Of Thieves (2018) - bank robbers and cops, lots of not very credible shooting etc. Don't bother: 3/10

Hostiles (2017) - Western with Christian Bale, who I like. Meditations on "hate" etc. I can't really remember much about it, except that I hated it: 1/10

You Were Never Really Here (2017) - Lynne Ramsay directs Joaquin Phoenix as a tramatised veteran who tracks down missing girls. High level conspiracies and brutal moments. I marked it at 5/10 but will rewatch it at some point.

All The Money In The World (2017) - Ridley Scott film about the 16yr old grandson Getty III kidnapped in Italy in the 1970s. It's the film that they reshot to remove all traces of Kevin Spacey, who had originally play J. P. Getty. It's interesting to see the recreation of 1970s Italy, but overall nothing special: 5/10

Veronica (2017) - Director of [REC], Spanish horror about teenage girl who accidently summons *something* while trying to contact the dead. The usual, if you like that kind of thing: 5/10

Only The Brave (2017) - true story of firefighters fighting fires. Not much happens really, mostly drama rather than action. Jennifer Connelly. 5/10

Lastly a couple of time/jump/paradox films:
    Before I Fall (2017) - drama/mystery, pretty decent: 6/10
    Happy Death Day (2017) - horror/mystery, a bit meh: 4/10
    boogieman said:
    The Great Wall. Mediaeval Chinese hokum with some particularly dodgy CGI (and Matt Damon). Killed an hour and a half but there’s really not much to recommend it. 
    The very definition of hokum, indeed. Some great visual design in the sets for the Wall fort, but some of the plot holes were as big as the damned wall itself.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10231

Cargo on Netflix.

Martin Freeman being Martin Freeman,but in the midst of the Zombie Apocalypse.Not bad,but quite formulaic (added human protagonist anyone?) and a silly twist at the end that makes no sense.

6/10.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Probably my favourite Ghibli. Absolutely brilliant.

Exactly what I was going to post, after reading Moominpapa's original post.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited June 2018
     Eraserhead (1977). 10/10 Excellent family entertainment with a major feel good factor. Highly recommended. 
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom