Line 6 Helix HX effects unit leaked....

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Variable can help too though I realise that’s an extreme solution!!
    Do you mean 'Variax' @hubobulous? If so, I can see on forums that is what some people have done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @rossyamaha - any idea on the tuning down point. Also, if you own a Helix, can you import/copy some of those sounds to the HX? Yep, I know there aren't amps, simulators etc in the HX and there might not be the same level of parameters, buttons etc but in principle, and for some core sounds, could you do it? I believe you can from Helix Native to Helix.

Cheers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Kebabkid said:
    @rossyamaha - any idea on the tuning down point. Also, if you own a Helix, can you import/copy some of those sounds to the HX? Yep, I know there aren't amps, simulators etc in the HX and there might not be the same level of parameters, buttons etc but in principle, and for some core sounds, could you do it? I believe you can from Helix Native to Helix.

Cheers
    For tuning down (at least for now) I would say get hold of a Digitech Drop. It's going to give you better results. I'm out of the loop as far as whats happening with new models/ pitch stuff so couldn't say for certain but as has been confirmed, it;'s being worked on. 

As far as copying sounds from Helix to HX, unfortunately no you can't. Hopefully there will be an easy way to copy and paste when HX Edit supports HXFX. Again, don't know yet but I would hazard a guess at no. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

Thanks @rossyamaha for clarifying and the prompt response :)
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Probably going to cave when Andertons get their next batch in (new batch so hopefully working well).
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Damn it. If just watched the video where @rossyamaha recreates a high end pedalboard. I've got a carefully curated board of pedals based around a BOSS ES-8 that I have settled on over the years. I'm now scared to even count the total value of that board. I'm also convinced that the new Line 6 unit could easily replace that board. It would also weigh about a tenth of what the flightcased board comes in at.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Yeah, that Peach video was excellent. I have a Helix which I love and since buying it, I've only settled on keeping a few pedals, (Arpanoid, Happiness, Meris stuff, H9), that offer something different. The Line6 units really are high quality in terms of effects and the Peach video is a proper review that I think will resonate with a lot of pedal fans.
  • rossyamaha said: As far as copying sounds from Helix to HX, unfortunately no you can't. Hopefully there will be an easy way to copy and paste when HX Edit supports HXFX. Again, don't know yet but I would hazard a guess at no. 
    Not with 2.60, but eventually, yes.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 745
    edited June 2018
    Have got myself one of these and am enjoying trying out the various different pedals into my AC15.  Still working my way through the drives. The fact you can edit parameters which the switches while playing rather than having to lean town and fiddle with the knobs makes it super easy to audition the various different models. Loads of fun.

Interesting to compare the legacy and new models of the same pedal. The Valve Driver which is the HX model of a Chandler sounds pretty rubbish to my ears, and did on the Helix Floor I used to have. Yet the Tube Drive which is the legacy model of the same pedal sounds totally different and really great.

Struggling to get as good a noise from the OCD model as I’ve heard on demos.
  • I've been watching this thread after getting one of these early on, being really impressed and then exasperated with noise and returning it.

Does anyone know what the issue was with the noise and has it really been solved?

I really liked this unit and am thinking of getting another if the issues are dealt with

edited June 2018
    @mattismetal ;; - Was it not the case that early ones were subject to this? Was there an update to fix it or were they returned to Line 6 to rectify?

According to this, it does seem that Line 6 have sorted it with subsequent ones but I tried one in a shop 3 wks ago and it was noisy. I wonder if Line 6 can narrow it down to a certain batch and serial numbers or it's just luck of the draw?

https://line6.com/support/topic/32964-hx-effects-audio-artifacts/

I hope it gets sorted as the unit seems to have interested quite a few folk

I know....I want to buy one ASAP but I don’t have time to mess about with a noisy unit...
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    I bought a brand new one a week ago from Andertons, thinking the noise issues were sorted. When it arrived, it was running firmware 2.41, so still an "earlier" unit and seemed noisier than I was happy with.
    It is seemingly a known issue and is hardware related with some components being out of spec. on some units. Line 6 have improved their screening process to stop it happening again but there could still be some earlier units in stock. If it comes loaded with firmware 2.5 or higher, it should be good.There's a big thread about it on the Gear Page.
    I contacted Frank Ritchotte through that thread and he is sending me a screened replacement directly from the US which is due to arrive tomorrow. Absolutely astounding customer service from Line 6 - I think it's the best I have ever been treated as a customer. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok that is reassuring...

Thought I had solved all this with a Boss MS-3 but it's not 'quite' there.

Here we go again!

Beexter said:
    I bought a brand new one a week ago from Andertons, thinking the noise issues were sorted. When it arrived, it was running firmware 2.41, so still an "earlier" unit and seemed noisier than I was happy with.
    It is seemingly a known issue and is hardware related with some components being out of spec. on some units. Line 6 have improved their screening process to stop it happening again but there could still be some earlier units in stock. If it comes loaded with firmware 2.5 or higher, it should be good.There's a big thread about it on the Gear Page.
    I contacted Frank Ritchotte through that thread and he is sending me a screened replacement directly from the US which is due to arrive tomorrow. Absolutely astounding customer service from Line 6 - I think it's the best I have ever been treated as a customer. 
    Sent you one out direct? That’s good!

Yep, and I get to keep the original unit until the new one arrives. Outstanding service in my book.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Beexter said:

Yep, and I get to keep the original unit until the new one arrives. Outstanding service in my book.
    That is good. I asked Andertons last week and they said they should all be new units with no issues, but I doubt they know the actual history of the problem.

My concern is the European market is still probably going through these problem units...I'm ready to buy one but I always struggle to receive deliveries etc, so having to send back/receive others just means a bit of a headache. I think they should just say 'serial number XXXX onwards will pose no problems.'
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    Beexter said:

That is good. I asked Andertons last week and they said they should all be new units with no issues, but I doubt they know the actual history of the problem.

My concern is the European market is still probably going through these problem units...I'm ready to buy one but I always struggle to receive deliveries etc, so having to send back/receive others just means a bit of a headache. I think they should just say 'serial number XXXX onwards will pose no problems.'
    I wouldnt worry; the support from Line 6 is outstanding. Raise a ticket and they'll sort it for you. I bought mine recently and fortunately had no issues...
    8Musicman20 said:
    Beexter said:

I think the difficulty is that not every single unit is problematic - the vast majority have no issues so this makes identification by serial number virtually impossible.
    I understand that Line 6 have improved their screening process to eradicate any issues at production level so there is a case to suggest that serial numbers from a certain point should be problem free. However, that doesn't mean that every earlier unit has a problem- far from it. The vast majority are fine. 
    Their customer service response to me has been exemplary so I'd buy with total confidence -- it's a very capable and flexible unit with an outstanding interface. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    2.6 is out. 
    Also the full  fat editor is now there.