Drum / sampler pads for bashing about on

For some reason I have a hankering for some drum or sampler pads. I say for some reason as I already have guitars, missus has bass, and I have a couple of synths that I barely play but intend to get around to at some point when time allows.

At the moment I'd like to play about with either a Roland SPD-SX sampler pad or SPD-30 drumpad. Bearing in mind the only drumming I've ever done was on Rockband beginner stuff am I likely to buy another piece of hardware beyond my abilities that will sit and gather dust? How long does it take to be able to string an adequate simple rock beat together to play along with some tunes?

Since it'll be pretty much entirely frivolous, are there other decent not too expensive options for me to consider/research a bit more? I'd love a full kit but space won't allow and I'm not sure my other half would either.

I really shouldn't have watched some Craig Blundell videos recently which has partly brought this childhood wish back to the surface.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    The alesis pads are great, and pretty cheap , the Roland and yamaha octas cost 600 plus  but for realistic drumming with velocity you can't beat the alesis ones 
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 189
    Any particular Alesis models to look out for?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Are you after pure triggering pads or an integrated device with its sound engine, controls and memory all in one box?
    Be seeing you.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Alesis, Yamaha and Rolan d are pretty much the only game in town these days (well, there is Nord, but don't do that to yourself.)

Buy used and you will nab yourself a bargain, particularly if you are willing to go a couple of generations old.
    All e-drums are a compromise of sorts.

I have a Roland TD50 kit and I mostly hate playing it compared to a proper kit.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    I bought a SPD-30 then added pads and some cymbals (to make it more like a real kit technique), which evolved into a full electronic kit, followed by an acoustic kit, which needed a new garden room building to put it in. So beware it’s a slippery slope! ;-)

SPD-30 doesn’t have that many real kits, it’s more biased at percussion- has a good looper though. Do you want it to play drums or give a rhythm backing track?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Yeah I had the spd 30 loved it but sorry not worth £600, the independent pads are great so no cross talk,   regarding alesis model

https://www.thediscdjstore.com/alesis-sample-pad-4-percussion-sample-triggering-instrument.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwjZjZBRAZEiwAPeLSKwuTLYjg5Te4-4585zQD9DUEGYTxnKscCPCYFtn1R-Htbj7IKGDc4RoCe9wQAvD_BwE

Are good. 
    Thanks everyone for the replies :)

I'd be looking for an all in one standalone unit that I could plug some headphones into or connect up to an amp to hear at volume, so probably a proper performance in a box setup.

Used is where I was thinking, as it cuts budget and resale, if needed, would hopefully be not as damaging. I'd seen a SPD-30 for sub £300 second hand, which isn't cheap, but I would hope that it would retain a fair chunk of that if/when I realised that I'd turn out to be as good a drummer as guitarist and moved on to the next random instrument.

Interesting comment @octatonic that you say you mostly hate playing your TD50 kit. Is that with you having come from proper acoustic sets before going to digital? I've never touched acoustic apart from a very small stint at school, and despite my uncle being a very accomplished jazz drummer with the option of me learning on his kit, my mum poo-pooed that before it ever got off the ground.

@mrkb I was kinda hoping it would stay a small form factor but thanks for the warning of scope creep. At least it would give the family something to buy me for xmas/birthdays but space would definitely be an issue. Being a non-drummer I basically want it to play some drums, standard sort of kit would suit me, toms, snare, cymbals, kick. Nothing fancy, I'm a general straight rock sort of guy.

I'm still mulling it over, it's like one of those itches that needs scratching. I certainly don't need it and I definitely don't give enough time to the other instruments in our house, but that's why I'm very much a hobbyist and not a musician. There's something nice about banging some sticks to make sounds though which is what I think appeals. I'm not looking to become a proficient drummer, just be able to play a nice beat along with some tracks and have a bit of fun with when family is over.

I'll start looking through what's available from the brands mentioned.
    Oh and the reason I threw sample pads in the mix was more that if I wanted a particular sound of drum that wasn't available as a preset, I could just a sample or set of samples and get closer to what is in my head.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    wolsnah said:
    Interesting comment @octatonic that you say you mostly hate playing your TD50 kit. Is that with you having come from proper acoustic sets before going to digital? 
    From talking to proper drummers, I gather that, to anyone who learned on a conventional acoustic kit, the mesh/fibre heads on electronic kits feel wrong. 

Just as some guitar playing dynamics control techniques rely on muscle memory, so do some of the finer actions of drumming. The need to make adjustments can inhibit the freedom with which it is possible to play. 

To continue my analogy, a guitarist accustomed to a Stratocaster or a Les Paul could flounder on a Rickenbacker 360. All the fundamental ingredients of an electric guitar are present but some of that hypothetical guitarist's standard licks will either be physically impossible or come out wrong.
    Be seeing you.