Improving and Progressing at the Huddersfield Weekender Jam

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
Split out from the discussion @slacker @markblagdon and @snags and I were having in the main Huddersfield thread.

My goal at the jams has always been "do a bit better each time", and although I get very limited practise time (excuses, excuses, I know) I want to progress to a certain point, yet to be determined.

@markblagdon made the same point in the thread @alnico made to me more than once, when looking to progress look at Hendrix, and in fact both used the Wind Cries Mary opening riff as an example, great minds guys... ;)

So expanding the discussion a bit (and given the desire we no doubt all have given the new OT thread to have a great Hudds weekend so we tempt TTony and Digitalscream back)  how is everyone going to practise for the weekend, how is everyone going to prepare and how should we all progress and support each other?

Personally, I'm working on my Champagne Supernova lead but have also volunteered to play and sing on Ace of Spades, so lots of challenges!

Where are the rest of "the Weekenders" at?  It isn't actually that far off! :)
We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    For the weekend?  I'm currently using what practice time I get (tends to come in bursts) to get the basics down on all the bits I'm signed up for, and learning some of the other parts as self-improvement and "just in case".

Some of the songs I've played on and off for years, so it's just sorting out the bits I normally ignore (e.g. the solo and embellishments in Teenage Kicks).  Some of them I've never played before (hell, never heard before), so it's getting used to the timing and song structure (the Green Day stuff).  What that looks like in practice (ha!) is getting hold of chords/tab + recordings of the songs.  Listening to them repeatedly, playing along, checking out the odd YouTube tutorial for pointers … but then putting that all into a big melting pot and taking some bits away, and adding others of my own.

I'm also assuming that at some point there'll be a bit of a PM-fest where people playing together suss out exactly which version we're doing, confirm keys, and sort out the verse, chorus, break structure (and beginning and endings). But I've never done one of these, so I'm trying to relax and go with the flow.

In general, I am a very bad person, and rarely practice.  I try to pick up a guitar at least a couple of times a week, but will often just bash out familiar stuff due to lack of time. In between are bursts of motivation where I'll try to improve a scale, or memorise a new position of a pentatonic, or look at inversions etc. but that stuff is rare, and usually motivated by The Fear, having committed to doing something out of my comfort zone (tFB jam, playing for the local panto etc.).

However, I play in public at least twice a month, sometimes a lot more, as part of a variety of church music groups. In that context I am used to just turning up and working stuff out on the day, because words/chords/notation is in front of me, and most of the songs are familiar. But that might see me switch between acoustic + singing, electric + singing, electric free-form noodling (pentatonic toss), or bass, depending on the band/need and what the songs are. That sort of keeps me on my toes, but also has my in a rut, so I consume various YouTube things (Paul Davids, Justin Sandercoe and so on) in a slightly dilettante manner - I rarely have the discipline to practice the stuff they do as I should, but I try to absorb the concepts and work on them in a bitty fashion. Takes longer to get in, but it get there eventually.

Right now the other thing I'm doing is to start working on my voice a bit - doing some exercises to try to extend my range and to get better control when going for the higher notes. I've neglected my singing dreadfully over the years, and it's starting to tick me off, as it stops me doing some stuff I want to :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1645
    Knocked through L'il Devil on bass.. not a bass player but it's easy enough.

I'll brush up on the Beat It solo nearer the time.. along Dangerzone, should be straight forward but that's assuming there will be other musicians taking up the remaining parts.

The fear in my case is that it's wasted effort. There are other songs I could be learning.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Wasted effort because the whole thing might get canned?  Or just because it will be a poor showing?
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1645
    Snags said:
    Wasted effort because the whole thing might get canned?  Or just because it will be a poor showing?
    If you sign up for guitar on a song.. and there is no singer/bassist etc.. it could feasibly get dropped.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Snags said:
    Nothing is being cancelled... as stated, songs may get dropped if not enough interest. 

I'm currently working on finding a drummer. After that, if needs be, I'll enlist organising help and start learning bass / vocal parts just to keep songs on the list. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    I am more than happy to dep on bass or vocals on the day where there are gaps. I don't particularly want to commit to any ahead of time because I'm not a great singer (I can do what I can do, but that's it) and I'm a very sloppy, simple, bass player. Plus I'm focusing on learning the bits I've committed to.

However, if it's acceptable to have the chords scribbled out on a bit of paper so I've got a guide, and I don't need to manage a recognisable riff on bass, I can blag something into anything, I'm used to doing that in other contexts).
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I brought my tablet to the last one and had Setlist Helper up. It does chords and lyrics. Happy to do the same again and preload it with all songs. 

Of course nothing will beat the folder of knowledge brought by Dr @mrkb ...so rock and roll he could do a presentation on it! ;)

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Is there going to be an agreed 'version' of each song?

I'm thinking along the lines of a set key, following the original released version of a song single or album tba) by the original band. For instance, if it's a Beatles song, then doing the original Beatles version and not a Guns n Roses (or whoever) cover version.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    There's usually a spotify playlist which I usually ignore with the versions on it and they are the keys. If someone wants a different version then there's a discussion. At Water Rats I learnt the Guess Who version of American Woman, it got changed at the last moment to Lenny Kravitz. 
    Snags said:
    If you sign up for guitar on a song.. and there is no singer/bassist etc.. it could feasibly get dropped.
    This has happened a couple of times. I suggest that you run through the songs but dont spend too much time on something that doesnt have a vocalist etc. 

You dont have to nail the original or obscure remix exactly. Some songs at Water Rats were busked. The idea is to play, have fun, get handed a 53 Burst Conversion and told to play it, have people laugh at ones vocal performance and progress as a musician. 

Laughter's fine. It's the tears and the wincing that cut to the soul.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    slacker said:
    have people laugh at ones vocal performance

Your vocal performance was great.

Like you said yourself, if you aren't willing to perform a song, you shouldn't even try, it's music not knitting.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    slacker said:
    There's usually a spotify playlist which I usually ignore with the versions on it and they are the keys. If someone wants a different version then there's a discussion. At Water Rats I learnt the Guess Who version of American Woman, it got changed at the last moment to Lenny Kravitz. 

In other words:

"Hey, you know were were going to play xyz, well stuff that, we're playing Frank Zappa's Inca Roads instead... we tried texting you, but didn't have your number, so we just nailed it without you and thought you wouldn't mind because ...... well ... we think The Eagles suck."

Hmmmm ....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fandango said:
    slacker said:

In other words:

"Hey, you know were were going to play xyz, well stuff that, we're playing Frank Zappa's Inca Roads instead... we tried texting you, but didn't have your number, so we just nailed it without you and thought you wouldn't mind because ...... well ... we think The Eagles suck."

Hmmmm ....
    it was the same song just a different key. What's great about these jams and many have stated this, is that its a very positive atmosphere to play in. However there is some stress involved like one maybe two takes, strange band, last minute key changes that are all real life situations when auditioning or depping for bands.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    @fandango went to the first Leicester Jam, so should have a rough idea what it’s like. They’ve evolved to have much more jam room and playing stuff outside of the main song room, and not so much kit demoing which I find much more aligned to what I like. Hudds has 2 other rooms and a large communal chatting and admiring guitars area.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1

Like you said yourself, if you aren't willing to perform a song, you shouldn't even try, it's music not knitting.
    I don't remember using knitting so I'll quote it. 

I did a jam at a folk festival I got put on the spot and did lazy Sunday afternoon which isn't folk, I was off key for most of the first verse, fluffed the chords in the 1st chorus and forgot some of the words.

They loved it. Sometimes we are so on top of the minutiae that we are knitting in public not entertaining.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    slacker said:

I don't remember using knitting so I'll quote it. 

I did a jam at a folk festival I got put on the spot and did lazy Sunday afternoon which isn't folk, I was off key for most of the first verse, fluffed the chords in the 1st chorus and forgot some of the words.

They loved it. Sometimes we are so on top of the minutiae that we are knitting in public not entertaining.
    I think that's a really good point.

Went to a great gig from my probably favourite band (underrated indie rock champs Ash) late last year, and at one point Tim Wheeler (singer/guitarist/where I'd like to be as a musician in all honesty) lost his flow briefly as his hand came down in slightly the wrong place.

Basically he stopped "performing" for about two seconds (i.e. was clearly concentrating, not stopped playing) and then was right back in it again.  I'm almost certain nobody else noticed.

Did it matter?  Of course not, but it made me feel a lot better about myself screwing up!