GSP1101 Thread

What's Hot
mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
edited June 2018 in FX
Just wondered if we had other users on here? 

Was thinking a gsp1101 thread where we could show setups and how we are using them, share tone clips, ask questions/advice, share preset hints tips etc may be cool....

Though I'd post this to gauge how many users we have to see if worth while smile 

Edit - changed title to make it a thread;)

List of all models abd fx etc on page 2 of thread.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Yeah I've got one, was quite cheap on Amazon Warehouse last year some time. I installed the beta software thing in order to add IRs etc but not really used it as much as I'd have liked as yet in order to get to grips with what it can do. I've mainly used it as a USB interface to record, as my amp has separate dry and wet line outs which go nicely into the stereo fx return and then on into the recording software. I did a few White stripes style presets but found them a bit noisy and hissy, though I've not tried them since I re-found my wireless system which has helped with other stuff in the past.

Apparently they are supposed to be quite good though?!

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited June 2018
    Very good, sound is up with current high end stuff (c63 allows noise gate to be moved in location too which can help) though not had any noise to speak of out of mine so could even be an earth issue between gsp and pc or between your amp and gsp.  A transformer based humm cancel device can be great between amp and gsp for a few rare amps that cause a noise issue in gsp's loop.

4 cabled with normal amp they are fantastic and with a complimentery IR can go to desk via xlr without mic'ing amp (handy if amp fails too as just get some fired into foldback monitor and keep going.

Though control 2 helps massively for live use.
    C63 uses same tuner algorithm as hardwire tuner pedal and is very accurate.

There is a control 2 for sale on gsp1101 fb group at mo, guy in France for €100.  You can use any midi controller but I like having info of what's on/off in front of me and what program i am in without having to see gsp screen ;)
    I don't like noise gates as I find they cut off the sound too much, it probably is just grounding as I've always had ground humming/buzzing everywhere I've ever switched on an amp/fx unit! Not sure if I'm generally a bit too electrified... Hence why the wireless system may well solve this, but I've only recently re-found the sender after it had been missing for about 18 months! I've only used the presets through monitors, not through the PC, there was a different noise through the PC but that was definitely the switch mode power supply.

But I digress! Have you ever managed to get the presets online to download to the unit? They didn't seem to sound right when I tried it (albeit briefly)

If ever go 4 cable and use gsp for some fx the amp driver is a great pedal that can do from clean boost and/or add little or lots of distortion as you turn the gain up.  What i like is the distortion seems very neutral and it just seems to drive amp harder.  Ie it doesn't change the sound just seems to add more distortion that keeps same character and tone of the amps distortion itself.
    Oh right cool, my amp does not have an fx loop and I've not yet tested it to see if the Line Out and line In could be used to get the same function so maybe if/when that works it may be more useful.
    edited June 2018
    The line out and line in should operate similar but may need to set it to +4db setup on gsp loop and if line in doesn't go through amps master volume then ensure front rotary control on gsp is working as a volume.

c63 also brought a setting in menu so it could cope with a parallel fx loop (which guess line out and in would work as) so may be possible...

if doesn't work you could still use gsp fx for before preamp and use amps preamp or gsp as preamp (allowing post amp model fx) and poss switch between for diff presets
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    I've had one for years. It was an integral part of my rig in various set ups - 4 cable with an amp, with a preamp in the loop and on its own with a power amp. It's a real 'Swiss Army Knife' piece of gear and very useful.

It was relegated to mainly back up duties after I got an Axe FX (and later a Kemper) but I still use it occasionally and I keep it tweaked with presets for my current bands and a few user IR's that I like. Fantastic bit of kit for the silly money you can get them for on e-Bay.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    This is one of those units I keep thinking about having a punt on. I keep seeing them for a couple of hundred on ebay, sometimes with the controller. They can't be up to the quality of the modern modellers though...can they? Does the modelling not sound a bit dated now?
    One on eBay for £260 or best offer in case with control 2 at moment.  If he drops down to 240-250 that's an amazing price including the control board
    edited June 2018
    Hahaha no, modelling out of box is up with kemper and axe (the axe can pull clear if you spend a lot of time with tweaks but presets are probs better on gsp).

On the FB group we had a guy who recently got one and said in the 2 weeks (he was a metal guy) he got better sounds out of gsp then he managed in 2yr with kemper.  He has since switched his bands rig from an Axe and Kemper to two GSP1101's.

the 5150 model is stunning with any 5150 owners who have tried it 4 cable and compared almost all pick the gsp model over the real preamp.  Fender twin clean is very nice too and compares very favourably to my Groove Tube Trio clean channel (which is regarded as one of vest fender circuit cleans ever produced)

Had plenty opertunity at jam to compare to other options and can say direct to PA it sounded better then a helix and the one before helix.

Tube screamer models even over headphones are about as impossible to tell from real things as it could be.  Digitech reverbs (some of best avail).  Not experimented so much with delays and chorus as yet.  It's not a one trick pony as can produce compelling blues and rock tones too (I like 4cable or preamp in loop as odd models i think benefit also running through s good clean valve pre but that's a personal pref).

Mine also switches my valve pre channel via midi and added a Nux pms-2 it also switches amp channel or amp reverb on/off for me depending on preset.

Will try and find the really good video later selling some of it.

C63 firmware brought great tuner, 10 user IR files, new models and stomps and sound improvements.
    Dual DSP so doesn't cut reverbs or delays etc short on changes too which is handy for some
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    mr-mac said:
    One on eBay for £260 or best offer in case with control 2 at moment.  If he drops down to 240-250 that's an amazing price including the control board
    Wow...cheapest I've seen. Might have a punt. :)
    mr-mac said:
    Wow...cheapest I've seen. Might have a punt. :)
    I think I did rather well with mine as I bought the GSP for about £135 on Amazon warehouse! Sure they had the control thing for the same price but I didn't go for that, bought the fs3x thing instead but am yet to plug that in
    edited June 2018
    2nd (backup gsp) cost me £50 on gumtree lol (just bare unit bit still and power button doesn't work so always on).  At that price for a backup I thought rude to refuse.
    edited June 2018
    mr-mac said:
    Wow...cheapest I've seen. Might have a punt.
    I think I did rather well with mine as I bought the GSP for about £135 on Amazon warehouse! Sure they had the control thing for the same price but I didn't go for that, bought the fs3x thing instead but am yet to plug that in

I like the control 2.  If your on a stage/live means don't need to see gsp and can turn stomps on/off too.  

I actually plan on getting an amp and changing speaker for a light neodium one then making room to fit a gsp in case.  That way I have something portable-ish that i can grab on its own or with control board for jams etc.  Kinda like what people are using Katana for.  At moment thinking if can find a beat up Lab Series L5 I'll replace baffle with light weight single 12" neo magnet speaker in place of 2x12.  (why L5? Cos L3 amp isn't as good and a light 1x12 baffle should make it fairly easy to carry, l5 also has nice clean channel and fx loop). It's also a proper 100w RMS so will actually do gig volume.
    I don't like noise gates as I find they cut off the sound too much, it probably is just grounding as I've always had ground humming/buzzing everywhere I've ever switched on an amp/fx unit! Not sure if I'm generally a bit too electrified... Hence why the wireless system may well solve this, but I've only recently re-found the sender after it had been missing for about 18 months! I've only used the presets through monitors, not through the PC, there was a different noise through the PC but that was definitely the switch mode power supply.

But I digress! Have you ever managed to get the presets online to download to the unit? They didn't seem to sound right when I tried it (albeit briefly)

Tried downloading a few and worked but think issues is/was some of amp models are for rp1000 or something and aren't on c63 or something like that.

Tend to make em myself if have purpose in mind.
    edited June 2018
    Reasonable vid... Reckon most small diffs heard could be tweaked out.  Just shows you though its prety damn level quality between GSP, Kemper and Amplifire.  If going direct to pa turning on the global LPF improves units sound.

This is review that made me take a punt after trying and failing to find a tone i liked with 4 other modellers.  And was gonna buy a valve preamp instead and build setup round it....  Thr review vanished a few months back but here it is thanks to way back machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160427092807/https://guitargentleman.com/2016/04/26/digitech-gsp1101-review/