GSP1101 Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited June 2018
    2nd vid at bottom of review has a lot of clean and earlier breakup examples and some crunch (this vid was the biggest part of me trying as figured nice cleans and early breakup is hardest to make sound seriously good).  most demos are usually flashy, fast, loads of gain but not my real world tones I'd use every day

3rd vid (gsp 5150 v real 6505) for the higher gain lot

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    Recording isn't highest quality but this was at full band jam/open mic I ran and plugged Chris into GSP (on left.... lead and vocals) this was straight into PA and used a gsp factory preset and slightly tweaked preamp setting on front.

GSP was xlr straight to PA with no amp and guitar iirc was an R8.  Didn't even have use IR's loaded at this point.

@thecolourbox you sure guitar doesn't have an earth issue actually? As tbh can't see why wireless would improve the situation.  Get it checked... Even a continuity check on metal parts to earth on a plugged in lead would be a good start ;)
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    Successfully punted :)

GSP1101 incoming...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    Did think about small pedal board at one point but then thought by time i power em and make something to hold em then run a long cable to amp and..... I thinks feck it buy a good clean amp, fit light modern speaker and alter to mount gsp in the combo and 4 cable it with short cables internally then i just take amp and control 2 and i am gonna bet it will destroy a Katana (fair enough it will cost a little more so at price point maybe to be expected).

However I can't think of much that will get you ball park with latest £1k + stuff for so little.  I know when they came out because they used a dedicated in house DSP chip (well two) they had about 10 times the processing power of alternatives that used off shelf chips.  So guess it was ahead of game for a long time.  Next gen from now may leave it a little behind but current gen stuff its very relevant.

One think i liked from word go... Plug in a Gibson and it sounds like that Gibson into the amp model, switch to a fender and it sounds like the fender, ie the guitars tone comes through where as with some other options i tried you could switch guitar and it still sounded more like the amp model that you set up itself with little to no change.

Sure one of Metallica used em for a few years in tour rig.  Queensreich used them for a long time (may still) they used to use with amps in US and travel without amps just taking gsp on yours outside US.

Doubt you'll be disappointed.  We have this thread for advice and there is a gsp1101 group on Facebook that is also very good for advice.

GSP1101 incoming...
    Hope you had a silly offer accepted :lol: 
    mr-mac said:

GSP1101 incoming...
    Hope you had a silly offer accepted :lol: 
    Can't complain :) It's mad value...I remember looking at these not all that long ago when they were high hundreds...
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    mr-mac said:
    @thecolourbox you sure guitar doesn't have an earth issue actually? As tbh can't see why wireless would improve the situation.  Get it checked... Even a continuity check on metal parts to earth on a plugged in lead would be a good start ;)
    Yeah it's happened on loads of different guitars and pickups, two different houses, must be the nylon knickers. The wireless system works because it acts as a ground isolation though so the problem is grounding clearly, though seems to be on every guitar, amp, multi fx etc and in two different houses.

Cos the power I'm supplyin'...is electrifyin'! Clearly this is the only answer :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    mr-mac said:
    Successfully punted

GSP1101 incoming...
    Hope you had a silly offer accepted lol 
    Can't complain It's mad value...I remember looking at these not all that long ago when they were high hundreds...
    Aye and then some more for a control 2
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Do you guys have any decent rock clips you could post here? All I can find on YouTube is metal!
    edited June 2018
    Yeah its a bit metal a lot of the demos. There are some crunch sounds in clip i posted after review link... Let me see if can find anything else.  I did see a good blues and rock one before i pulled trigger on mine.

edited June 2018
    One of guys on fb group did these wee bits on souncloud.  Cover some rock tones https://m.soundcloud.com/user-287633945/digitech-gsp1101-fender-twin-65-evh-5150-ac30tb-jcm-800

Will look again later as did find a good rock tone vid before i bought mine but canny see it now.  If no luck I'll get one of my talented mates to play through it.  He's seriously good (ac/dc and classic rock through his veins) lent him my spare unit and he loved it.  Took me months to get it back off him
    edited June 2018
    Only rocky stuff i can find so far that's recorded reasonably a zz top cover.  Will keep looking as examples are at least useful to help people narrow down if its worth a look for their style of music.

And another by same guy with gsp

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited June 2018
    Sounds great! Just when I thought I'd decided on an Amplifire Box! Love that you could just slide this and one of those Harley Benton rack mounted power amps into a small rack unit and have a super versatile and cheap setup for at home and rehearsals/gigs.
    edited June 2018
    TTBZ said:
    Sounds great! Just when I thought I'd decided on an Amplifire Box! Love that you could just slide this and one of those Harley Benton rack mounted power amps into a small rack unit and have a super versatile and cheap setup for at home and rehearsals/gigs.

I plan on slotting one In a combo and popping light neodium driver in it for same purpose.  I also have main 4u which has a GT trio (midi board) preamp in gsp's loop.  one of those little light weight padded 2u rack bags would likely be ideal for your thinking.

Used it weekly at jam i ran straight to pa too so dead handy if amp fails.  Select an IR cleverly that matches your cab well and as well as IR by patch you can apply one globally and just to xlr outs.

sure the amplifire box would do a great job too and if it comes to it I'll bet some things it does better and some gsp does better.  However the floor board is really good for gsp.  Proper heavy and very well built so with guitar on wireless you have a single cat 5 on stage and nothing else.
    TTBZ said:
    I was planning on either running it in 4CM with my valve amp or straight into a EHX 44 Magnum. The option of applying a global IR to the XLRs is a really cool feature for a FoH feed.

Is it pretty easy to load IRs? I don't really want  to disappear down an IR rabbit hole so any recommendations for a handful of good ones to try out would be much appreciated!

TTBZ said:
    I was planning on either running it in 4CM with my valve amp or straight into a EHX 44 Magnum. The option of applying a global IR to the XLRs is a really cool feature for a FoH feed.

Is it pretty easy to load IRs? I don't really want  to disappear down an IR rabbit hole so any recommendations for a handful of good ones to try out would be much appreciated!

Software called GIRL allows you to load up to 10.  Then you csn pick one for global out thr 10 with a few presses in menu.
    I'd start by finding some IR's from cab that's got a similar setup and driver type as your amp.  most of the big makes produce very good IR's.  Other alternative is we could try and see how hard it would be to use your normal amp and mic to actually create an IR for your rig.  That's a new one for me at moment but thinking i like idea for myself too.
    Another clever idea.... Your in a cover band with just one guitarist and you want to make it sound bigger.

GSP's have reached price having 2 in rack would still not be that silly expensive.

get an aby and feed both gsp's inputs. turn midi pass through on unit one hook it up with midi to unit 2.  Now your control 2 will switch both units.  Set up some rhythm presets with different sounds on both say a clean valve amp sound on one and a edging into od on the other and save em with same preset number.  Add a slight delay on one.  Set main unit near centre and maybe 2nd a little off centre on mixer.

Voila you will sound like 2 guitarists.  You can set some programs so both units are the same for solos and set beside program for rhythm.  Or use aby to turn off the one not needed for solo.  A midi controlled aby may be just the ticket here as you could program your solo stomp to also send out midi command to switch aby to just unit A maybe.

John

@gearaddict ; particularly if looking for a Marshall sound as well as the 5 Marshall amp models also check out the digitech Brown Sound amp model (very good at Marshall sound) and was added with c63