Weezer cover Africa

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8534
I thought this was a joke when I heard they’d done it, but a surprisingly straigt down the line cover, but I kinda like it!

https://youtu.be/E4c7EE8_IX0

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Heard this one?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    JezWynd said:
    Heard this one?

Yeah, and really does nothing for me at all tbh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    JezWynd said:
    Heard this one?

Funny enough when I listened to the Weezer version I was half expecting that maniac from frog leap studios to come in at the chorus with that growly stuff he does
    The Weezer one is like a covers band version. At least the other guys put some thought into it, It's a naff song in anyone's hands.(imo)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    JezWynd said:
    The Weezer one is like a covers band version. At least the other guys put some thought into it, It's a naff song in anyone's hands.(imo)
    See I find the Weezer one quite listenable. The other one is well done but ultimately a novelty and just a little immature. After first watch I can’t see why you’d go back.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    I prefer the weezer version, but then I quite like the original and am not really into death metal or whatever that is so not surprising really!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    JezWynd said:
    Hold the line... Africa’s a great song in my mind.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    They covered Roseanna too, FWIW
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352

Africa, Hold the Line and Rosanna. Brilliant.

The Weezer one is a bit safe for me which is a shame. I like the band, but they've bought very little new to the party. For a pub covers band that's almost excusable, but for people who do this for a living it might have been more interesting to add their personailities a little more. Not bad though.

I still think this is one of the best versions out there:

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26745
    It's an absolutely shit song and I can't understand why the current generation of teen/early-20's-ers has latched onto it. 

I must be getting old.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    It's an absolutely shit song and I can't understand why the current generation of teen/early-20's-ers has latched onto it. 

I must be getting old.
    Wis .. I thought it was me ... the lyrics are trite .. "gonna take some time to do the things we never had" ... ahhhhh

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356

I like the song and love Weezer but it seems a bit of a pointless cover. If you think about the chorus it's very much the 4 chord 4 bar trick so loved today by Ed Sheeran and the like these days ... I think that's why the younger gen take to it

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Fretwired said:

I must be getting old.
    Wis .. I thought it was me ... the lyrics are trite .. "gonna take some time to do the things we never had" ... ahhhhh
    Couldn’t be worse than As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti. What a mouthful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2018
    JezWynd said:
    Fretwired said:

I must be getting old.
    Couldn’t be worse than As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti. What a mouthful.
    Agreed .. I was just being an English pedant but you have a point .. have a wis .. ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12879
    I used to quite like it and then I made the mistake of listening to the lyrics. Jesus wept they're awful. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489

I must be getting old.
    IMO it's popularity with that particular demographic is down to the song being on a very popular television show 'Stranger Things' and the whole 80's nostalgia wave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited June 2018
    I fucking love it. 

Yeah, the lyrics are stupid. But who cares. It's catchy as hell, super memorable, really well-made (the production has not dated at all on it) and Lukather has to keep it in his pants for a song.

(I jest, I love Luke, but an 80s track without a screaming guitar solo is a little bit of a rarity...)

Anyway, yeah, Weezer's take is pretty much right down the middle but they've probably made more money off this alone than they have in the last 10 years... and it's raising Toto's profile...

Check out this sweet walk-on-walk-off keyboard solo from Steve Porcaro...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Love it. All hail Weezer. They've made me feel less guilty about a guilty musical pleasure of mine.

I quite like the chug-metal version of it posted here as well, although the bloke in the video is an irritating tool.
  • ... although the bloke in the video is an irritating tool.
    Defo.
    That’s what I wanted, the closet fans are coming out now