Duo-sonicish build

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16541

By comparison, the timber choices, construction and single gold foil pickup of the OP project should add up to something very distinctive indeed.
    It’s quite nice to be building something without a clue how it will sound.

Its why I like to squeeze in something simple like this between more complex builds... gives me chance to try something new, and there are so few components it’s easy to get a feel for which ones are contributing most.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    WezV said:
    It’s quite nice to be building something without a clue how it will sound.
    I approve of this approach. Informed trial and error rather projecting unrealistic expectations onto a Bitsacaster, followed by the inevitable disappointment because reality did not live up to fantasy.

Be seeing you.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Very nice Wez, I have a thing for Mustang type gutars....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    tFB Trader
    I like that approach Wez

As soon as i have more time I'll build stuff in whatever woods i can find just to try it, especially if it's cheap or free
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    it can be fun to do something out of the ordinary.   I have my main builds, but i try and squeeze a quick one in every now and again to try a few things.  Some don't get finished. but this one is not far off now so i will push through to the finish line

I have just radiused the fretboard and put a coat of sealer on so i can do the rest without fear of getting it mucky

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Will it be for sale on completion Wez?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Only if I am happy with it.  If I was building with that purpose I would make safer choices
    I'm interested if you do....depending.....

pretty much ready for finishing now -  I got it together for a test fit

I keep thinking about adding some contours, but i think i prefer the simplicity of it as it is.   I will probably add some string through holes since this bridge allows both

acoustic tone is interesting, the softwood neck clearly contributes a lot to it - loads of overtones which i think would make it a bit uncontrollable for some styles, but awesome for others.   Its almost a bit danelectro

weighs 6.4lb at the mo.   neck seems to be holding steady without many issues yet, but lets see how it settles in

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    tFB Trader
    If you've still got it together on Wednesday wouldn't mind having a listen to it

Really interesting build wez and like lt alot
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Liking the simplicity of it, very nice...

If you've still got it together on Wednesday wouldn't mind having a listen to it

Really interesting build wez and like lt alot
    Yeah, I want to see how it copes with string tension before I finish it off so it will be together like this for a week or so

9 days with string tension and it’s not moved at all.  I think I am safe to proceed 
    Thats good news Wez, it's interesting to see different woods to the norm being used with success...what finish have you decided upon for the neck and body?

I haven't yet.   I am tempted by fiesta red, but it does mean covering the sycamore on the back.

I don;t know if i would call it successful, it sounds quite different to your average electric and that would put a lot of players off.   its certainly not the classic tones most are after.

Tonally it sits somewhere between a danelectro and an acoustic at the moment
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    WezV said:
    I haven't yet.   I am tempted by fiesta red, but it does mean covering the sycamore on the back.

Surely a transparent candy red with lots of big flake in it!...
    poopot said:
    WezV said:

Surely a transparent candy red with lots of big flake in it!...
    actually, i do quite like the idea of black with glitter

this kind of vibe

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:

actually, i do quite like the idea of black with glitter

Get down to b&q... they do a clear lacquer with sparkles in it!...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, I have seen that stuff.  I must admit I was tempted just to grab a handful and sprinkle it on ;)
    WezV said:
    Yeah, I have seen that stuff.  I must admit I was tempted just to grab a handful and sprinkle it on ;)
    It’s a clear acrylic with the glitter in it... but... it takes a feckin age to dry and harden!!!!