Wren Fiddle Day - Okehampton, Devon (tis proper etc)

What's Hot
bit late notice, but if there's any fiddle players/family of fiddle players here then Wren Music are hosting their annual fiddle day this Saturday in Okehampton in sunny Devon. The morning is fiddles only (and other bowed instruments, I've even heard there may be some cellos there!!!) and the afternoon open to all acoustic instruments. I will manning the door/tea room, so you may even get to meet me!!!

anyways, Becki and Nick are fantastic teachers, so if you are of the bent, do come along. Details here: http://www.wrenmusic.co.uk/en/Events-2018/

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    This event could be of interest to @DartmoorHedgehog and daughter.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the tag @Funkfingers - don't think we've got anything else on, so we'll have to look into that...
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    cool, be nice meeting you (and mini hedgehog). I'll be the tall, bald and untalented one there, and rarely go by the name vim outside of this place.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, we may well go along if she's up for it.  I don't play bowy things so I'll have to sit out the morning by the sound of it, but thinking about taking a clarinet and/or a couple of recorders and joining in the afternoon session.  I'll email/ring them to see what the ticket situation is (I assume I'll need an all day ticket for hedgehog jr, but only single-session one for me as a non-fiddler?)

Should be fun.
    Thanks, we may well go along if she's up for it.  I don't play bowy things so I'll have to sit out the morning by the sound of it, but thinking about taking a clarinet and/or a couple of recorders and joining in the afternoon session.  I'll email/ring them to see what the ticket situation is (I assume I'll need an all day ticket for hedgehog jr, but only single-session one for me as a non-fiddler?)

Should be fun.
    yup, though hedgehog jr doesn't have to attend for the whole day if she doesn't wish to, she can come to just the afternoon session if that makes it easier for all concerned.
    They've sent out some dots and some recordings of the tune we'll be covering in the afternoon (though I don't have a Bb version for the clarinet) if either of you want to look at it before hand (which I am also supposed to be do), if you want it, send me an email address and I'll forward it to you.

• The music would be a great help, thanks - we can have a sneaky practice and I'll do some transposing in case I'm playing clarinet.  I'll pm you my email.  I think the morning session sounds like it might be a good thing for her though - she's about grade 5 ABRSM level and not bad at improvising when she's in the mood, and at the age (13 in a couple of weeks) where she needs encouraging to have fun with the violin rather than seeing it as a tool for reluctant classical practice.  The intermediate group may suit her if she can't keep up with the main session (although she's better than she thinks she is - all depends on mood!)

Should I contact the wrenmusic people about attendance etc or could we just turn up on a whim at the last minute?  Either way, I'll have to check with jr tonight if she fancies it.
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 359
    Damn it, I'm busy, can't make it.

Annoying as I'm only a few miles away and I went to School with Nick a thousand years ago, not seen him since.

Have a good one. Be glad I didn't bring my banjo.
    at grade 5 she'll be very comfortable in the main group. Becki runs a group for teenagers which may also interest hedgehog minor, not sure where though, but it may be in Oke.
    It won't harm to contact wren just to help with numbers, but you can just turn up on the door.

Damn it, I'm busy, can't make it.

Annoying as I'm only a few miles away and I went to School with Nick a thousand years ago, not seen him since.

Have a good one. Be glad I didn't bring my banjo.
    we have a couple of banjo players (not a devonian joke, honest) at the orchestra. 1st one turned up, then a 2nd and now a 3rd.

We think they are breeding somewhere and have escaped.

Or been let free!!!

What's your name, I'll tell nick you said hi.

• Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 359
    I shall do the 'My name is Dave' joke right here.

and then you can tell him it's Holwill, not Vader, in reality.
    Thanks Vim.
  • VimFuego said:
    at grade 5 she'll be very comfortable in the main group. Becki runs a group for teenagers which may also interest hedgehog minor, not sure where though, but it may be in Oke.
    It won't harm to contact wren just to help with numbers, but you can just turn up on the door.
    Cool, sounds good.  Thanks for the email as well BTW.  I've got a (loud rock band) gig on Friday night so not much time to brush up my slightly rusty wind playing...  Probably see you there.
  • Well, we did it and survived :)
    Slightly scary at first for us inexperienced folkies (there was a fair bit of assumption that people knew some of the tunes or at least the common folk tune structures), but very friendly people, excellent teachers, so we had a great time and definitely learnt something.

I'd thoroughly recommend it to anybody else if they run a similar day again.
    yup, was a good day, for non folkies you both did well and didn't scare the inmates too much. 

sorry I didn't get to say bye properly, it had been a long day for me, and I think my brain had turned to mush by 5.00, I just wanted to clear up and head home.

• No worries mate - was pretty intense for me a lot of the time as well, particularly when I was trying to transpose on the fly from Nick's shouted out melody line :/   I was a lot happier when he handed out some sheet music (showing up my classical training a bit!)

The aim was to give jr experience of another musical style and take her mind off the classical exam stuff a bit, but I had a great time joining in the afternoon sessions even though it was throwing myself to the lions a bit with my slightly faded wind playing skills.  As I mentioned, I've played various styles from classical through military band stuff and jazz to punk and hard rock, but not so much folk, so it was a nice change.

I will make an effort to play more folk music :)
    No worries mate - was pretty intense for me a lot of the time as well, particularly when I was trying to transpose on the fly from Nick's shouted out melody line :/   I was a lot happier when he handed out some sheet music (showing up my classical training a bit!)

The aim was to give jr experience of another musical style and take her mind off the classical exam stuff a bit, but I had a great time joining in the afternoon sessions even though it was throwing myself to the lions a bit with my slightly faded wind playing skills.  As I mentioned, I've played various styles from classical through military band stuff and jazz to punk and hard rock, but not so much folk, so it was a nice change.

I will make an effort to play more folk music :)
    one of us, one of us

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom