Bass/Amp recommendations

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
Hello

I'm after a good lightweight bass. I do love a good Fender Jazz but i guess i need to go and try lots out to pick out the light ones. 

What is a good average weight for a bass? 

Any recommendations? 

I do like a satin feel to the neck.

My budget for the bass is looking around £300-£400

Amp wise £200. Home practice, Aux and headphone would be a needed.  Obviously if i can get cheaper that would be great. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    I was looking a Fender Rumble amps and Sire or fender or Ibanez basses
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Amp wise, I have a minty Gallien-Krueger MB108 that I’m going to depart with soon if interested, it was by far the best of the bedroom bass amps I tried and cracking value even new. Just don’t need it as I always plug into my recording interface and headphones.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    Squier CV or VM, but they have gloss necks. CVs are basswood and can be quite light.

£200 (or just over half that) will get you a lot of amp - Ampeg, Fender Rumble, or Orange.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Got to agree with CV series - excellent for the money. 

So are some of the Yamaha and Ibanez choices. Every time I’ve been out with a mate looking for a cheap bass for them I’ve always been really impressed with the Ibanez offerings..
    dindude said:
    Amp wise, I have a minty Gallien-Krueger MB108 that I’m going to depart with soon if interested, it was by far the best of the bedroom bass amps I tried and cracking value even new. Just don’t need it as I always plug into my recording interface and headphones.
    please pm when you are looking to sell
    which models did you like?

So are some of the Yamaha and Ibanez choices. Every time I’ve been out with a mate looking for a cheap bass for them I’ve always been really impressed with the Ibanez offerings..

There was one that @darthed1981 tried which was cracking for the money - two single coils and a Jazz like neck which was peanuts and made some £1k fenders look and sound poor - which one was that Ed?

I have an Ibanez SRH500 which I gig regularly. It’s a bit left field, but it’s flipping stunning for the money. I am a typical snob bass player - my #1 bass is a pre-CBS 1964 Precision, and I have a 74 precision as well as some tasty custom made jobs - but the Ibanez I have holds its own in that company admirably. 

If if I pick it up after playing a bass worth 10x the money I don’t think “hmmm cheap” I think “crikey, this is bloody good”.

There was one that @darthed1981 tried which was cracking for the money - two single coils and a Jazz like neck which was peanuts and made some £1k fenders look and sound poor - which one was that Ed?

I have an Ibanez SRH500 which I gig regularly. It’s a bit left field, but it’s flipping stunning for the money. I am a typical snob bass player - my #1 bass is a pre-CBS 1964 Precision, and I have a 74 precision as well as some tasty custom made jobs - but the Ibanez I have holds its own in that company admirably. 

If if I pick it up after playing a bass worth 10x the money I don’t think “hmmm cheap” I think “crikey, this is bloody good”.

Ibanez Talman?

Ibanez Talman?
    Might have been a gsr 180 actually - certainly was one of these in the mix when we tried a load. It was really cheap as it was on sale as well. 

I reckon the Ibanez offerings around the £400 mark are properly stunning for the cash. 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11676

I think it was that one.  A while ago now!

When I was in Andertons again I tried a couple of Ibanez' against the Sire basses they are always banging on about and found the Ibanez' far nicer to play (in my ignorant guitarist way) though a far superior factory setup helps!

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    the thing you have to bear in mind with bass weight is that the balance factor involved is far more significant with a long necked bass than a shorter necked guitar. so the further away from you that maple plank gets, the heavier the block that you attach the pickups to has to be, to counter-balance it.

so an easy way to cutting down significantly on weight is shortscale. shorter neck means lighter body (generally). there are pos & negs re shortscale but a bass is a bass, great players have made both sing, so the most important thing is what you are comfortable with. which means trying lots.

as for recommendations, that's a taste thing, which shapes appeal to you? which don't?

going by your wishlist so far, fender jazz-ish (jazz pickup position & thinner than average neck), a satin neck finish, lighter than average, i would suggest you try the fender-squier shortscale jaguars.

i used to have the squier jaguar SS bass. the neck was super-slender with a fine satin finish & the shortscale jaguar bass body is smaller than the jaguar guitar body, so the ensemble was very easy to wear & guitarish fast to play. nice clippy PJ tones (jazz pickup option, so ticks that box).
    as for reservations? the pickups could be bolder & fatter if you are super fussy, but it's not a huge deal. i let them be & instead eq'd (mxr pedal) for max chunky & dialed top off on ampsim. but if you wanted you could upgrade (£200 bass + posh £pickups upgrade = £300 ish).

bass amps i have no idea about really (beyond cheapies & make-do-s). i can't afford two good amps so my modest amp funds are all in my guitar amp. but someone like @ICBM ;;; @Funkfingers or @Bridgehouse (the resident bass ninjas, among many!) can better advise you there.

you have plenty enough funds so best advice is to try lots before you buy anything.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That’s the chap @darthed1981 !!

I reckon you are right about setup - the Ibanez are consistently good. Not played one I didn’t get on with. 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11676

I reckon you are right about setup - the Ibanez are consistently good. Not played one I didn’t get on with. 

I believe you also tried this amp as did I and you had a positive opinion @Bridgehouse

I thought it seemed tremendous fun if someone (like I was/am considering) wanted a first bass rig that inspired them to play:

Got £35 cheaper since we tried it as well.

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    @vale gives sound advice. Try lots indeed.

For amps, I really like the fender rumbles as small amps. I also really like the smaller markbass but they are more money. 

The mb108 is a good amp - but I really really like the Ebs session 60

Other than that, it can often come down to size and weight.. so again, try lots!
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    sorry for the paging after you had already landed here bridgehouse, no one had replied when i started writing. i'm slow typing tonight thanks to migraine brain!
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...

I believe you also tried this amp as did I and you had a positive opinion @Bridgehouse

I thought it seemed tremendous fun if someone (like I was/am considering) wanted a first bass rig that inspired them to play:

Got £35 cheaper since we tried it as well.

Yep - that was a cracking modelling amp and made some really decent authentic sounds.
    so the fender rumble studio 40 is better than the normal rumble amp? im going to go try loads i think :)

so the fender rumble studio 40 is better than the normal rumble amp? im going to go try loads i think :)

The studio 40 does modelling and you can make it sound like a range of different bass amps. I tried it in PMT in Cambridge on a Fretboard jolly Boys day out.

Before trying I thought it would be gimmicky shite. Within 10 mins I’d decided it was an excellent at-home amp for trying a range of different styles. Loved it for the money and it was really really bloody lightweight

The studio 40 does modelling and you can make it sound like a range of different bass amps. I tried it in PMT in Cambridge on a Fretboard jolly Boys day out.

Before trying I thought it would be gimmicky shite. Within 10 mins I’d decided it was an excellent at-home amp for trying a range of different styles. Loved it for the money and it was really really bloody lightweight
    nice! will give that a try for sure.

I have Andertons, Guitar Guitar (Epsom) and GAK near me. Any other places worth travelling to?