Duo-sonicish build

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    That’s what puts me off.  I will be shooting nitro, but it’s almost worth buying a really cheap gun to shove some glitter through
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    WezV said:
    pretty much ready for finishing now -  I got it together for a test fit

I keep thinking about adding some contours, but i think i prefer the simplicity of it as it is.   I will probably add some string through holes since this bridge allows both

acoustic tone is interesting, the softwood neck clearly contributes a lot to it - loads of overtones which i think would make it a bit uncontrollable for some styles, but awesome for others.   Its almost a bit danelectro

weighs 6.4lb at the mo.   neck seems to be holding steady without many issues yet, but lets see how it settles in

really like what you've done with the neck on this. that fab long heel should be superstable.
    i couldn't live without a neck pickup but i get your minimal vibe. bit like a junior but i would imagine that foil pickup will give it a steely blues shearing tone nothing like the gib.

as for neck finish on the soft-ish fretboard, have you thought about using some kind of silicon powder prep (pumice) as they use in french polishing? that would literally rub-mash some glassy glide & toughness into the grain & pores of the wood.

i have never tried it but i have watched a few videos about the process & it looks straightforward.
    i fantasize about making a guitar but solvent pongs make me reach, so couldn't use normal sprays. & i also like the idea of organic & natural finishes. so something on my list for one day.

a cool build thread to follow for voyeur dreamers like me. keep it coming!
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    The fretboard is maple, so plenty hard enough.  It’s just the back that is softwood.

I don’t think French polish will work great on softwood, but most of my oil finishes use similar principles of lots of rubbing and cutting back to get a thin finish that feels great.  I really dont think it will work on this.  The Fir will likely feel heavily ridged along the grain within a year or two.  We will see 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    Are you going to try a fatter sounding pickup, i think it was interesting enough when i played it

Failing that what about a tone block 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    I think I want to make it string through body and see how much that change it.  

I want to try this pickup a bit higher up before swapping it out.  I agree something more powerful could be fun but will figure that out later
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Only just caught up with this one @WezV ; -  I like the lines a lot.  Fast build, too!

It would be a shame to lose that stripe under heavy colour...

Whatever, it looks good and I'm sure will play well.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Agree with Andy that it would be a shame to lose the grain. It will be of interest to see how much difference thru stringing makes to the sound.......some enviable skills on display, love these threads...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    You know my feelings. I’d always go for a clear finish which shows off the wood grain.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Really like this build and enviable skills is right.

That type of knob, as well as having a cool 'test gear' look, works well with waterslide decals. Because the top is recessed, you can use any crappy ebay transfer paper without having to worry about hiding the edge etc.

Easy way to add a subtle touch of personalisation. Just a thought.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @fatpete ; that's a nice tip I had not considered
    paulnb57 said:
    Agree with Andy that it would be a shame to lose the grain. It will be of interest to see how much difference thru stringing makes to the sound.......some enviable skills on display, love these threads...

Roland said:
    You know my feelings. I’d always go for a clear finish which shows off the wood grain.

I know what you mean, and I will definitely keep the back of the neck on display.   But the style of guitar makes me think it should be red or blue... I am struggling to get past that
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    paulnb57 said:

Roland said:

I know what you mean, and I will definitely keep the back of the neck on display.   But the style of guitar makes me think it should be red or blue... I am struggling to get past that
    A classic Daphne Blue could look really nice on it I think, in homage to it's Mustang ancestry
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    How about a sort of Olly White using Crimson white stain and lacquer?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    WezV said:
    paulnb57 said:

Roland said:

can it have a coloured front and clear back and sides like a Les Paul? Or would that look stupid on a Fender-style guitar?

the roundover causes issues with that, and again it doesn't quite suit the vibe.   I guess what fender would call the pawn shop vibe

I will get some sealer on it and make a decision later

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    It's got a proper surf guitar vibe to my eyes - a blonde finish would be superb, if not the most original!
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited June 2018
    Is there any scope to do a racing stripe type of paint job but leaving the stripe as exposed wood so you can see the figuring? Would probably just look messy.

This type of pattern, though that would also expose the neck tenon unless you added a scratch plate.

Edit: just found this, stripes with visible grain:

The problem for me is that any attempt to show the wood along with a coloured finish will take away from the simplicity of the guitar
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    How about transparent red?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    WezV said:
    The problem for me is that any attempt to show the wood along with a coloured finish will take away from the simplicity of the guitar
    Agreed!