More jobs than a one man band..... anyone else have this much on their task sheet.

What's Hot

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Well said @RiftAmps ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @ThorpyFX you take a very sanguine approach to your fiscal obligations. When I worked for myself I used to say that as well as working for me I was also an unpaid tax collector. I guess that while I was reasonably good at the things you'd describe as "core business" I was crap at marketing and the like which could explain why I have reverted to being someone else's employee. I wish you well at juggling all those different jobs.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    @ThorpyFX you take a very sanguine approach to your fiscal obligations. When I worked for myself I used to say that as well as working for me I was also an unpaid tax collector. I guess that while I was reasonably good at the things you'd describe as "core business" I was crap at marketing and the like which could explain why I have reverted to being someone else's employee. I wish you well at juggling all those different jobs.
    I forgot that part of the unpaid collector of tax, mainly via VAT
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580

My God son is 18 and just left school after A levels - After an apprenticeship in local government in accounts - I fear the thought of 50 years sat in such an office, with a bland suite, getting old and bored would drive me mad

I'd feel the same way about that job, but equally I "know" I don't want to be a one-man-band.

There was something I read years ago that's stuck with me - slightly mangled, it says that a company is an abstraction layer that enables each person to do the thing they're good at (and, slightly idealistically, enjoys doing).

So for me the upside of working for someone else is that I can get on with designing, "selling" (in the softest sense) and occasionally commissioning stuff. I don't have to even think about accounts, leasing a building, refilling the photocopier, paying the bills and so on. There are even people to answer the phone so that the calls that get through to me are actually worth taking.

That said I do completely understand the urge to do as much as possible oneself just so that you know it's done right.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 598
    I am an excellent pedal tester. Just let me know if you need a hand :lol: 
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:

Its alwaya good to like/love your job. But it’s a real test of character to have to work 2-3 times harder and as much for less than half the money you’re used to.
    Took me seven years to get back to what I earned as an employee, even that meant having to do two shows and lecturing all day on Mondays.

Its so worth it tho' I just can't imagine working for anyone else ever again
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    As someone who went full time in march i can honestly say it's been bloody hard going getting the workshop sorted which still needs more work before i can really get going and on top of that I'm moving in a few weeks 

So it's 7 days a week right now but i can't see myself working for anyone, i couldn't care less about a crap job and I'm not in it for the money either 

The satisfaction i get from making something that someone likes playing is so inspiring and keeps me going, i was going to stop a couple of years ago but a pro player friend persuaded me to keep going and I'm glad i did now

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    live to work or work to live - a fine balance in many instances - I think in any job, if you enjoy it then remember you are in a good position, as many aren't as fortunate as yourself
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I can only agree with all that's been said.
    To be successful as a small business you need to be reasonably good at all of the jobs on the list, and I think that's why I'm still here after 10 years, when other amp builders have come and gone. 
    The other requirement, for me at least, is not to want to make much money! In that regard I'm lucky in that, not being the main breadwinner, I find it easier, now, to achieve a work/life balance. That didn't happen overnight though. I feel sorry for those who have to work long hours to pay bills. It becomes a very close call at that point whether you'd be happier in a 'proper' job.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Moved to Made in the UK. I’ve also removed several off-topic comments.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    I've been running my own business since I was in my early twenties. First building and decorating business, then computer company, then recording studio and now inventing and selling Dr Watson products. I doubt I could actually work for anyone else now, it would be like being back at school being told what and when to do  
    As I write this I'm covering a mates shop and it's a complete ball ache as I have to be here at 9 in the morning and stay here till 5:30 !! .... I generally like to start to start at the crack of 10:30 \ 11 ish and knock work on the head about 3 in the summer

Low overheads is the key to happy self employment. When I was a partner in Clones UK we had to make something like £500 profit a day just to pay the bills. You can be a busy fool in business, better to find the optimum sweet spot of good profit and zero hassle. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Danny1969 said:
    You can be a busy fool in business, better to find the optimum sweet spot of good profit and zero hassle. 
    Spot on.
    It is why I stopped building guitars (some would say I never properly started)- the margins were not there to justify it when I have another business that requires a much small amount of time in order to make a living.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    Danny1969 said:
    You can be a busy fool in business, better to find the optimum sweet spot of good profit and zero hassle. 
    Spot on.
    It is why I stopped building guitars (some would say I never properly started)- the margins were not there to justify it when I have another business that requires a much small amount of time in order to make a living.
    Its a fact of life that margin is vital...... takes the magic out of it but.. necessary.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    tFB Trader
    From an old TYA Alvin Lee song - you have to work for your pension until your 65 - So whatever you do, try and enjoy it

A plus point in our trade, for many of us 'self employed guys' is that our job is an extension of our hobby - We need no qualification to actually be in business and to carry out the functions that we perform - But we need many other attributes that have been mentioned above in order to survive and grow with a reputation intact 

Working for yourself is not for everyone - Granted there are a few like Sugar and Dyson who make millions, but many have a 'life style' business - And unfortunately many don't survive  beyond 2 years
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Do you have to do it all yourself? One of the best skills a self employed person can have is learning to delegate.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1083
    Can appreciate this completely. Myself and my wife opened a physical shop 2 years ago after running a online homewares business and it's the most bizarre love / hate journey working for yourself.
    Working with your partner is even harder.

Owning two of your pedals and seeing the recognition and plaudits you are getting in such a overcrowded market place, you're doing everything the right way. Now the big question @ThorpyFX ; when are you making a delay?

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    Do you have to do it all yourself? One of the best skills a self employed person can have is learning to delegate.
    Delegation is something I'm well aware of as a concept. We call it Mission Command in the Army... however it assumes you have people to delegate to lol. In previous roles I've had a team of up to 900 people to delegate to..... currently I have me and me and me and my wife too.

Ultimately, delegation in a company costs a lot of money, so at the moment I'm keeping overheads low and doing as much as i can myself. I am not moaning, its a trade off and cash flow is king.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    You're pretty handy with the camera mate! 
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
    tFB Trader
    AlexO said:
    Now the big question @ThorpyFX ; when are you making a delay?

I asked him the same question and not had a reply yet - so that is a very long delay !
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    I’m an accountant and see lots of small business owners going through this struggle.

Its also easy to get annoyed from an accountants perspective when people bring records in late or don’t send in enough information but I have huge respect for anyone running their own business for all the reasons above.  It’s really not an easy life.

I just hope that everyone on here gets enough enjoyment from the core parts of their businesses to keep going. We have a community of some really talented people that it would be a shame to lose.

I also worry about HMRC and the lauded ‘making tax digital’ plans that are starting to phase in soon. I just hope it doesn’t add too much more of a burden on to small businesses. These things are never as simple as made out!