Anyone using Friedman amps ? Looking at runt 20 , loud enough for gigging ?!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
It looks like people are getting settled in with their Friedman Amps as I haven’t seen that many for sale lately .

im going to look at a runt 20 , and I wondered if anyone who’s owned one could give me their feedback on how they’ve got on with the amp , and if 20 Watts is loud enough for gigging .

im thinking it might be the answer to my “smaller jcm800” thing , and the fx loop could give me the solo boost I am looking for ,

im going to try one out , I’m just interested to know what anyone who’s used one for a whil3cthimks about the amp .
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Keep saying it, but try an Ironball
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1325
    I got mine a couple of months ago, and so far have rehearsed with it and a loud drummer. I think it's going to be loud enough for gigging pubs and the like - this is with a 2x12 with creamback 65s. I've got another 2x12 with Vintage 30s and that's definitely loud enough, though the creambacks sound nicer. This is with a 3-piece, if there's another guitarist, your ability to cut through will depend on what they're using.

One thing i really like is the direct out - I'm planning to put it into the PA for larger gigs and to give a bit more spread for smaller gigs. I've tried it straight into a powered PA cab and it sounds great. You can even unplug the speaker as it has an internal load.

One thing I have noticed, though - previously i had an Orange Rockerverb 50, and an MXR micro amp in the loop would provide a really big volume increase. The increase is lower in the Runt, so it needs the boost a little higher. I expect this is because the Runt has a fair amount of power amp distortion going on, whereas the rockerverb is mostly in the pre. But, that's why it sounds so good.

The nice thing about the 20 watt is you'll have the volume somewhere over halfway for gigging, so it's nicely cooking the pre and power amp valves - it sounds lovely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    John_A said:
    Keep saying it, but try an Ironball
    I'm keeping my eye out!!
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 593
    edited June 2018
    All the Friedman's master volumes are good and they deliver the goods whether low or cranked. I haven't tried the runt 20 but all the others I have owned have been great live at any volume 
  • sratosrato Frets: 24
    I've had a Runt 20 with the matching 1 12" cab for about 2 years now and that thing is LOUD, really loud.  No problems at all on stage with the drummer for clean and dirty sounds.
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    srato said:
    I've had a Runt 20 with the matching 1 12" cab for about 2 years now and that thing is LOUD, really loud.  No problems at all on stage with the drummer for clean and dirty sounds.
    Thanks that’s good to know !!
    Is it the type of amp that can be used at home volume too ??
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    edited June 2018
    Just stick with your JCM800 which is epic sounding and will keep up with every drummer, even if they all play at once. 

The JCM is the amp you really want. The Friedman is good but it doesn’t sound as good as your Marshall will. 
    The Runt 20 sounds really good at home level too and that is another advantage of it.
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 334
    The Runt 20 was not loud enough for me with my band, it lacked headroom especially on the clean channel and on solos. 
    Wow, that's impressive HoraceB.  We play loud though but your band must be REALLY loud if the Runt clean channel lacks headroom...
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I thought the runt was pretty quiet for a 20watter, it certainly didn’t have the poke of the Budda sd18 or my old brunetti Maranello.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Just get a bloody mini Jubilee already :) sounds like a Marshall and has the solo boost built in, or an FX loop if you want to use the lead channel in all its glory as your rhythm tone.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i found the Pink Taco a bit quiet with a full band too if i'm honest.

• Go for the 100 watters =)

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    Not enough headroom for me. Also I didn’t like the amp. Dirty Shirley 50w completely nails it for me.