Fender Tweed Champ or Fender Princeton 68

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
Two very different amps. I know this but I am thinking about an amp to get as a plug and play at home amp. 

Ive played both and love them both for different reasons. 

What do you guys think? If you had to pick one of these which would it be for a plug and play amp.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    I think the fender 57 tweed champs are too much for what they are.  I bought a fender champion 600 used for £100 had a 5F1 switch fitted and recovered in tweed, sounds amazing total spend maybe £300.

Some boutique makers make tweed champs for less than fender, I think there was a tweed rift on here recently not sure if its still there.

I haven't played the princeton but most amps I have played over 5watt are too loud and (in my case) too physically big for home use.
    I would add @Danny1969 I think sells a device which would give a master volume to a Deluxe reverb I think if that floats your boat.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    As a living room amp I'd go Princeton every time. I built a Tweed Champ clone and it sounds great, but the softer midrange and reverb make the Princeton a much more usable home amp. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Given that the Champ is actually more expensive than the Princeton it's not even a close call - Princeton. So much more amp for the money, and the bigger speaker, reverb and EQ make it much more usable at home volume even though it's more powerful.

I had an original '59 Tweed Champ, and it *did* sound nice at home volume, but it needed pedals to get anything more than a slightly boxy clean tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    @ICBM said:
    Given that the Champ is actually more expensive than the Princeton it's not even a close call - Princeton. So much more amp for the money, and the bigger speaker, reverb and EQ make it much more usable at home volume even though it's more powerful.

I had an original '59 Tweed Champ, and it *did* sound nice at home volume, but it needed pedals to get anything more than a slightly boxy clean tone.
    @icbm what if you were going to use it to record also?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    shaunm said:

@icbm what if you were going to use it to record also?
    Still the Princeton unless the Champ was much cheaper, or you specifically want that 'trumpety' midrange tone of the Champ when it's cranked and nothing else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    No brainer - Princeton

Champs are cool, but they are not desert island amps
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    No brainer - Princeton

Champs are cool, but they are not desert island amps

If I was on a desert island I'd get the loudest amp possible, it's more likely that somebody will hear it and rescue me.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Definitely Princeton.  Reverb and trem....you can't go wrong.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Another vote for the Princeton.

As others have said, its a no-brainer and you can’t go wrong.

If you need to dirty up the tone, add an 805 Overdrive and/or a Veteran Germanium. Then sprinkle a little Vapor Trail into the mix, a side helping of Caverns, and Bob’s you uncle.
    Right firstly I put blood sweat and tears into my little champ you insensitive bunch : )

Secondly have you seen the feeler for the Swart AST in the for sale threads?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Any opinions for or against these?

Be seeing you.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Any opinions for or against these?

That was what I fancied when I ended up buying the '68 because the only reasonable priced one I found was too far to drive! On paper they sound like they very much fix the problems I dislike about the 68
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    I have a Princeton 68 and it’s perfect for home use. Brilliantly useable taper on the volume knob from whisper quiet all the way up and it won’t really get to the nasty overdrive levels at home or even pretty loud usage. Reverb and tremolo are brilliant on it too. Also takes pedals very well indeed. 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1170
    Or... a silverface champ/vibrochamp
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    Princeton .. and if you can get one go for a Recording model. 

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    I have a Princeton 68 and it’s perfect for home use. Brilliantly useable taper on the volume knob from whisper quiet all the way up and it won’t really get to the nasty overdrive levels at home or even pretty loud usage. Reverb and tremolo are brilliant on it too. Also takes pedals very well indeed. 

You must have a bigger room than me then! Never been able to get it quiet enough to play at home. Reverb and trem are nice apart from the hum and ticking that prevents you using half the dial...
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    The Princeton tremolo shouldn't tick.
    I realise Andertons isn't universally liked but interesting video where Lee Anderton plays at the actual volume he plays in his office and admits a princeton would be no good at that level even with pedals and sticks with his vox modeller.

Everyones home levels are different, I play my THR at whisper volumes at home, my champ is no good at that volume.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

This is what my Princeton sounds like at home levels, much prefer it to the THR I had at any volume.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom