Ivison Guitars - Build and Repair Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Just a bit of geekery that i'm pretty chuffed with....all Ivison DC Juniors will now come with a pick guard cut from a '59 pattern made out of genuine NOS 50's celluloid! :)

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Here's a '59 DC that i've been working on this week, this one is going to be Cherry Red using proper aniline dyes so it'll fade out just like the originals do!

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Love the attention to detail......you can never have too much 'geekery'!
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    Great work Neil. Love the NOS guards, nice!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • What’s the fretwire of choice on these Neil?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    What’s the fretwire of choice on these Neil?
    I use Dunlop 6155 as standard but happy to fit any wire the customer specifies :)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I so want that Goldtop DC.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Tis but a quick PM away my good man... ;)
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    miserneil said:
    I can't help but think there may be a few hundred other problems...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Haha, yeah, there is that!

I actually really fancy doing a bound Gold Top junior, Double or Single Cut, light back, bound neck, bone white P90. Not sure if it’d need a pickguard or not, perhaps a cut down Les Paul type....one day...
    (formerly miserneil)
  • miserneil said:
    miserneil said:

I actually really fancy doing a bound Gold Top junior, Double or Single Cut, light back, bound neck, bone white P90. Not sure if it’d need a pickguard or not, perhaps a cut down Les Paul type....one day...
    maybe your own version of a 54' Gold top?  ;)
    miserneil said:
    robinbowes said:

PM me a price? I could sell things... :)
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    miserneil said:

Stop it...
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
    miserneil said:
    miserneil said:

Stop it...
    Haha 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited June 2018
    I just remembered @miserneil didn't I create the headstock logo for you years ago? I wondered what you were going to do with it lol

Looking good and you're obviously enjoying making them
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    edited June 2018
    Now would probably be a good time to comment on the TV Model I bought from @miserneil a month ago (so the honeymoon period is over).

For a couple of years I played Keef in a Stones tribute (hence my handle) and for that purpose I acquired a 1987 DC Junior in wine red. It weighed as much as a small car, but it did that Junior 'thing' (see below). I have since been looking for a good Junior, ideally a double-cut in TV yellow. Originals go for a silly money, and it seems to be almost impossible to get a modern Gibson that fits the bill. There is always something I don't want - robot tuning, Tun-o-matic bridge, pickup too close to bridge, whatever - or a £3k+ price tag!

Neil put one of his prototype builds up for sale on this forum, and I was lucky enough to get in first. Within seconds of plugging it in, I knew it was a corker. Even with 11s fitted, it played perfectly, and yes, it did 'the thing'. Here's what I mean: Set up a light crunch sound on your amp, then turn the guitar volume and tone down to about 5 or 6. Play a few chords and open-string licks, and it will sound almost as though there is an acoustic in the mix.

Having got the guitar home, I discovered it is as brilliant for country as it is for rock. I wimped out and fitted a hybrid string set (10s on top, 11s on the bottom) to allow me to indulge in some country-style bending.

The guitar came with a plain headstock, and it didn't seem right to me to put Gibson decals on it, so I made my own decal based on a Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers t-shirt design. Below are:
    (1) one of @miserneil's pics,
    (2) a pic of my the headstock with DIY decal, and
    (3) a video of Emmylou Harris, with guitarist Franck Reckard playing 2 corking solos on a TV model - enjoy!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    @miserneil  I’m loving the machine heads on ^ SC.   What brand are they please? They would look ace on my Goldtop =)
    tFB Trader
    tone1 said:
    @miserneil  I’m loving the machine heads on ^ SC.   What brand are they please? They would look ace on my Goldtop =)
    They are all Kluson '3 on a plate' tuners which I age myself. You might need to check the spacing though if they are replacing single tuners, I think they are different.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 123
    Fantastic playing in that clip, Frank appears to have a b-bender in that TV junior, can't quite decide if that is sacrilege or the coolest thing ever!
  • Keefy said:
    Now would probably be a good time to comment on the TV Model I bought from @miserneil a month ago (so the honeymoon period is over).

For a couple of years I played Keef in a Stones tribute (hence my handle) and for that purpose I acquired a 1987 DC Junior in wine red. It weighed as much as a small car, but it did that Junior 'thing' (see below). I have since been looking for a good Junior, ideally a double-cut in TV yellow. Originals go for a silly money, and it seems to be almost impossible to get a modern Gibson that fits the bill. There is always something I don't want - robot tuning, Tun-o-matic bridge, pickup too close to bridge, whatever - or a £3k+ price tag!

Neil put one of his prototype builds up for sale on this forum, and I was lucky enough to get in first. Within seconds of plugging it in, I knew it was a corker. Even with 11s fitted, it played perfectly, and yes, it did 'the thing'. Here's what I mean: Set up a light crunch sound on your amp, then turn the guitar volume and tone down to about 5 or 6. Play a few chords and open-string licks, and it will sound almost as though there is an acoustic in the mix.

Having got the guitar home, I discovered it is as brilliant for country as it is for rock. I wimped out and fitted a hybrid string set (10s on top, 11s on the bottom) to allow me to indulge in some country-style bending.

The guitar came with a plain headstock, and it didn't seem right to me to put Gibson decals on it, so I made my own decal based on a Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers t-shirt design. Below are:
    (1) one of @miserneil's pics,
    (2) a pic of my the headstock with DIY decal, and
    (3) a video of Emmylou Harris, with guitarist Franck Reckard playing 2 corking solos on a TV model - enjoy!

The one that got away... #yousnoozeyoulose 
    i kbew it would be a keeper @Keefy ;