More jobs than a one man band..... anyone else have this much on their task sheet.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader

And yes by the way it is very tough....

The thing is for me is that I spent nearly 20 years in the computer games industry (as well as working in recording studios and as a video sound editor at the BBC)..  A certain set of circumstances meant that I left the industry for a couple of years.. When I tried to get work again there was no work (deep recession) and I already had people questioning my credentials despite having worked in the industry for so long. So in the end my options were basically to do something unskilled or re-train and do something like being a plumber or electrician...

As it goes I had started building my own guitar just out of pure boredom after the last redundancy ( I was made redundant like 8 times) and being out of work for a year already...  That went better than I thought so I decided that if I was going to have to learn something new I was going to (try) do something I liked.

And id say despite the some of the stresses involved I am a much happier person doing what I do now. Also im in a very different position to most.. I have no debt at all and no wife or kids to pay for or there is no way I would have risked doing this it really isn't easy and takes all you have and takes a LONG time to build up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    ThorpyFX said:
    JezWynd said:
    Do you have to do it all yourself? One of the best skills a self employed person can have is learning to delegate.
    Delegation is something I'm well aware of as a concept. We call it Mission Command in the Army... however it assumes you have people to delegate to lol. In previous roles I've had a team of up to 900 people to delegate to..... currently I have me and me and me and my wife too.

Ultimately, delegation in a company costs a lot of money, so at the moment I'm keeping overheads low and doing as much as i can myself. I am not moaning, its a trade off and cash flow is king.
    Understand what you are saying but there are some jobs - the videography for instance - where you could very likely find some talented kids who are looking to showcase their skills. They would probably make you very professional pieces for little or no reward just to get experience and exposure. Sure, you would have to spend some time interviewing to get the right fit for your business but contacts like these can grow and be rewarding in the long term. A bit different to the army where bodies arrive and you order them to do stuff. Am I teaching grandma to suck eggs? ; :)
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    CHrisP86 said:

I also worry about HMRC and the lauded ‘making tax digital’ plans that are starting to phase in soon. I just hope it doesn’t add too much more of a burden on to small businesses. These things are never as simple as made out!

I have done the online tax thing the last couple of years...  Mostly since my records are so few that I don't really see much point in getting an accountant just yet..

And im really crap at paperwork and figures and I found it VERY easy to use. I have to do it by paper when I send stuff to the council and the DWP and actually the HMRC one is the easiest of all of them..  You just fill in the boxes and it works it all out for you..  Ok granted, theres not much to work out in my case, maybe someone with a much higher turnover and outlays, staff and stuff I don't have to deal with would not find it so easy?

• AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    How much time do you apportion to each area and how on earth do you prioritise the tasks? Would outsourcing the supply chain/stock management/pick, pack and ship elements free up enough time to let you offset the cost through a production increase, or just give you more time doing non-business life stuff?