Back in the Workshop

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    GSPBASSES said:
    Have you had any luck finding some multi-ply binding for the LPCs yet btw, Graham?
    I have, unfortunately I haven't had the time to get into making the LPC's yet. I'm off on holiday tomorrow, I'll be back second week in June. But then I go back into hospital hopefully to have an operation to sort out my prostate. When that's sorted I will definitely be semi retired, restricted myself to making one guitar a week. 

Apologies to anybody who is waiting for bodies and necks from me, I will try to be up to date with my work as soon as I'm out of hospital hopefully.
    Enjoy your holiday Graham and hope the hospital goes well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader

Back in the workshop again after a really nice holiday up in the Cotswolds, the hospital bit wasn't so good. Still haven't had my operation its going be at least three months before I get called back, the less said about that the better.

I'm almost cleared the backlog of orders for the forum members, it kind of appears we have a few time wasters, as my time is very precious to me. I do get very annoyed when somebody orders a guitar and neck, I get it made send them a photo of it and the bill and they do not respond , for whatever reason, I don't know. That is a great deal of workshop time wasted when I could have been doing other people's jobs, who I know will take their guitar and pay up straight away. What's happened over the last few weeks with people not responding may well change my attitude on how I do business with forum members in future, more on that later date. Rant over.

Just about cleared all the fender style builds so back onto the Gibson staff, I mentioned in a post about four weeks ago I was planning to do high-end LPJ DC kits, I'm still in negotiations with Nitro sprayers and hardware manufacturers. I've already have a source of high-quality P90 dog ear pickups. I'm now trying to source a reasonably priced hardcase. All this is put on hold temporarily as I have  been making all these enquiries, several custom builders and a sprayer have asked if they could take this on. I must say is very tempting just to stay with the woodwork side the guitar making.

But in the mean time semi retired as not quite kicked in yet but will do soon and it will be down to one guitar a week and no more.

A few photos of what's on the bench at the moment.

3 flying V's there also a 58 V on order.

2 SC LPJ's

2 LPJ DC's that have just had there necks glued in, in the back ground lots of LPJ DC necks

4 LPJ DC bodies, the bottom left-hand corner body is slightly heavier. This is because it's Honduras mahogany that I use for the slightly upmarket version of the LPJ DC.

More LPJ DC's and a LPJ SC plus there part built necks. 

This guitar when out earlier in the week, a Mahogany jazzmaster body, slightly different, swimming pool rout for the pickups, no tremolo but a standard Strat hard tail bridge. The neck is roasted flame maple. 

Most of this work was done weeks if not months ago, The bodies, for instance , I bring to almost the correct thickness, bandsaw them roughly to shape, then leave them on the shelf for several months before I start work on finishing them. 

The mahogany necks for the LPJ's were most likely started a year ago. I did do a post on this with photographs quite some time ago, so won't go all through again. But I just summarise it, I buy very wide planks of Brazilian Mahogany, these are cut up to the rough shape of the neck, the necks are always three-piece Honduras mahogany, I never use African mahogany for necks.These will be left on the shelf in the wood store for at least six months before I glue them up, then left for at least another three months before I start to finish the necks. 

I think that will do for to night.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Beautiful as ever, Graham
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    JM received Graham, as beautiful as it looks in the picture! I’ll start a build thread :)
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited June 2018
    Perhaps you could ask for non-refundable deposits Graham? I'd of happily of done so for the DC Junior I purchased from you. Honestly what wrong with people! I was like a kid waiting for Christmas the whole time awaiting the arrival of my Junior. Disgraceful wasting a mans time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    @Sawyer - agreed, I’d have no objection to this either, it’s fairly standard for anything bespoke so I’d be surprised if many minded, although it does add an extra layer of admin for Graham.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    This lump of loveliness has also arrived safely - currently off getting a lick of paint while I gather shiny trinkets to nail on. Thanks Graham.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I did a bit of work on the flying V necks and the LPJ neck Saturday morning, glued on some headstock veneers on the LPJ's necks. Also did some work on the V headstock's, on the early V's headstock there were modified by cutting two strips of the each side and then gluing back on with a different grain pattern, this is best shown in the photographs below.

Monday morning, really hot, I don't plan to do very much today just get some truss rods and fingerboards glued on that's about it. 

The reason that's a odd shape, I've cut some small pieces of the end of the neck blank and glued them back on to give me a little bit more width. The inner lines are where its going be cut off and in new pieces glued back on. 

The head stocks with the bits glue on.

This is the T-Rod jig.

This is the router cutter and guide ring I use for cutting the truss rod channel, its a 6mm down spiral with a GB16 guide bush.

This is a LPJ DC T-Rod.

Some of the finger boards being glued on.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader

Completed the 2 LPJ DC's, the one on the right it's body and neck are made from Honduras mahogany. The one on the left neck is Honduras mahogany, the is body African mahogany ( Khaya ). That's more or less it this week, I'll work till tomorrow lunchtime then take the rest of the week. I have one of my friends coming down from the Chicken Shed to stay, and it's too hot to work.

The LJP DC on the left is a “should have gone to Spec Savers”, if you look carefully, you'll see the inlays dots are slightly off centre at the top of the neck. This will be a bargain for somebody as it will now become a B grade.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom