ORIGIN FX...OVERDRIVE

What's Hot

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Phew, that digital compliance threw me a bit. 
    Btw, the manual is an interesting read, clearly explaining elements of vintage amp features with excellent settings examples. If this can pull of Hendrix at Monterey, I might have to invest. I do see the professional touring musician as a better customer. It will be interesting to see how close a sound can be extracted from wildly different amps and their shortcomings. After all, I don’t expect a standard fender amp to deliver the equivalent of a plexi with both running a revival drive. Still, it’ll be interesting to hear. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 563
    Worth watching this series of videos too:

The quick overview of the cali76 on reverb was interesting too, especially this one:

• interstellarinterstellar Frets: 486
    thorough chap
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 393
    Seems totally pointless listening to demos of this pedal. The Ghosting stuff he was demoing had no audible effect to me; its either hocus pocus and they're con artists; or you can only really hear or feel it in person!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 563
    I am usually an anti cork sniffer type and cynical but I could hear it clearly.

He does look like he is being held at gunpoint in all his videos though...panic in his eyes
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    Seems totally pointless listening to demos of this pedal. The Ghosting stuff he was demoing had no audible effect to me; its either hocus pocus and they're con artists; or you can only really hear or feel it in person!
    really? It was immediately obvious to me and I'd buy a pedal that did only that and nothing else. Anyway, I really liked the vid and the explanations as well as the sounds, but the pedal itself would be a bit too much and too expensive for me. Maybe half of it for half the price ...

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I could clearly hear what he's talking about.

R.
    yeah, I could hear the ghosting too, a phenomena I've long thought I could hear on tracks but thought it had to e my imagination or studio fx.
    as for the presentation, I'm glad he does it, even if he's not a professional presenter. it's genuine and his playing level is genuine. When demonstrations are too flash, you can't help but wonder what goes into the production. in fact, the lance keltner demo is awful. it almost put me off the pedal as it sounded like overdriven mush.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Yep, can clearly hear the ghosting, sounds like an awful low pitched kazoo tone - why anyone would purposely add that to their sound is beyond me! Just because it was a limitation of the design when old amps were built doesn’t mean it’s good!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    mrkb said:
    Yep, can clearly hear the ghosting, sounds like an awful low pitched kazoo tone - why anyone would purposely add that to their sound is beyond me! Just because it was a limitation of the design when old amps were built doesn’t mean it’s good!
    Pretty much the whole concept of the rock guitar sound is based on flaws in valve amplifiers. This is just one of those flaws.

R.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    mrkb said:
    Pretty much the whole concept of the rock guitar sound is based on flaws in valve amplifiers. This is just one of those flaws.

R.
    Totally agree, but some flaws sound good, some don’t. Would you add mains hum, or the risk of an electric shock to a pedal to get that “real valve amp” kudos ;-)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    Ordered the standard pedal and f/switch last week.....postie watching!!

JonHosker said:
    Ordered the standard pedal and f/switch last week.....postie watching!!

Bravo, sir. We’re all keen to hear your take on the pedal. 
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited May 2018
    BBBlues said:
    I'd put this in the same camp as the Ethos Overdrive: too much £££ for an overdrive, not practical enough to replace what other digital stuff can do. e.g Helix etc

The Ethos isn't just an overdrive.  It's a pre-amp, an interface ...and a lifesaver.  And - even if it was only an overdrive - it'd still be the best money I've ever spent on anything guitar-related.  It does everything from subtle break-up, though smooth, then shouty and onto obnoxious OD, ending up at out-and-out monster fuzz.

It also has the most luscious and beautiful, super wide and deep Hi-Fi clean sound of any pedal, rack pre, desk or amp I've ever used, seen or heard.

Obviously, as an owner, I'm invested - but I've had it for years now and I can honestly say (and I'm a pedal G.A.S. sufferer in extremis!) that I've yet to hear anything that even comes close to replacing it.

...not even a Hudson Broadcast!  :o :o :o
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    mrkb said:
    mrkb said:

R.
    Totally agree, but some flaws sound good, some don’t. Would you add mains hum, or the risk of an electric shock to a pedal to get that “real valve amp” kudos ;-)
    When the ghosting is added in, the pedal immediately sounds more amp-realistic to me.

I am torn on whether to order one of these, or wait for other versions to come out. I bought a big-box Cali76 a few years ago, but eventually the Compact version bumped it off my board for space reasons. Will there be a 'Compact' single-channel version? Or a rack version? And can I live without a Revival Drive in the meantime?
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    ^^ I spoke to Origin on this very subject a few weeks back and there are no such plans for the foreseeable. The next possible idea is a bass version of the Revival but even that is a fair way off because the R&D takes so long

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    JohnPerry said:
    ^^ I spoke to Origin on this very subject a few weeks back and there are no such plans for the foreseeable. The next possible idea is a bass version of the Revival but even that is a fair way off because the R&D takes so long
    That's it, I'm going to order one!
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    I can’t imagine that there are ‘two pedals under the single fascia’ simply waiting to be split, and offered as single channel options.

The original big box Cali76 was hand built and soldered, whereas my understanding is that the RD is already built using the techniques of the small box Cali76.

• damm73damm73 Frets: 356
    I got the custom version and I love it. Forced a total rethink of my pedalboard and it's now the only OD pedal I have on there (not counting an HX effects and 3 fuzzes). 

I didn't fancy shelling out another £90 for the official footswitch though. I mean it's just a 2 button footswitch for crying out loud! 

So I've been using the footswitch from a CAA amp. Seems to work ok...most of the time.  The left button will engage the mid boost, just like on the official pedal, except every 1 out of 4/5 presses, it turns the pedal off.  

Same for the right button...it will engage the blend override feature but will also randomly switch the active channel on the pedal. 

It's just a basic TRS 2 button footswtich. So is there something about the official footswitch that's more involved? Does it have clever electronics that make it know to only stick to the one function for every single press of a specific button?  Maybe that's worth the £90 then after all? 

Or is it more likely that I just have a faulty footswitch? If so what's likely to be the problem?  I've tried half a dozen different TRS cables with the same result.