NODGD (RIOAF)

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4126
edited June 2018 in Acoustics
New Opinion Dividing Guitar Day (Relax It’s Only A Finish)....

‘37 Authentic D-28 Aged.

Yep...aged. I was far from sold on the concept when they were first announced and to be honest the example that Martin put in their promo video looked way too relic’ed rather than aged. This one has virtually no artificial wear (you can only see it at all close up) 

So “aged” in this case means the colour of the exceptionally thin lacquer and the fact that there isn’t a sharp edge on it anywhere. It feels and sounds gorgeous. 

Torrefied Adirondack top and braces, Madi rosewood back and sides, hide glue construction.

Bass is very interesting as it kind thumps out when you hit the low strings but doesn't boom. Overall sound is nice and direct and dry. 
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    Very nice indeed.

The A series seem to be up there with the very best guitars Martin have ever made. 

Does your guitar have an adjustable truss?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited June 2018

Very nice indeed.

The A series seem to be up there with the very best guitars Martin have ever made. 

Does your guitar have an adjustable truss?

Nope. It has a truss rod but non adjustable. Compared to how I like my Collings set up, this has more relief but I think the slightly shorter scale and general Martin-esque looseness means it's very easy to play.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    This looks like an old guitar. It is lovely. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I can hear that top vibrating from here and it looks terrific. 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    that ting's got the whump in it.
    AliGorie said:
    that ting's got the whump in it.
    Certainly has.

The reason I knew I had to get it was because I actually involuntarily laughed out loud twice when I was trying it out which has never happened before! Once when I played a rest stroke on the low E for the first time and once when I did that bluegrass rhythm thing where you crack the top three strings diagonally towards the bridge to get that big accent stab. Visceral stuff.
    edited June 2018
    ah - Lewy - the involuntary chortle - don't lie.
    I've had it a few times with instruments AND players, most was when I reed'd up an early 1900's Irish pipe chanter which had been lying in someones cupboard for 40 yrs - quite utilitarian in design but well thought out and made (bit like guitars from that era) fired it up with a flurry of notes ending on a ghost D - burst out laughing and sat still for a while taking in what I'd just experienced - 
    PS, ghost D or the bottom note of the stick (depending which key the chanter is made in)  struck hard sends the column of air / reed into hyper drive and ya get an array of harmonics added to the normal note. It is also an indicator as to the potential richness of the timbre of the instrument - some sticks struggle achieve this, with others, it's 'just there' but a few open the portal to somewhere else. We occasionally get this with SOME guitars.
    - just HAD to share :3  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I played a few of those at Coda. They are very, very nice. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Looks awesome. Congrats!
    A little demo for anyone interested. I make a total spagbol of it at the end but you'll get the idea....

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    Lookslovely, congratulations. Your thread prompted me to get my HD28V out and have a bash on it.
    edited June 2018
    aye, that'll do the job Lewy.
    Whats the neck prof, see u'r using yer thumb effortlessly which I find v uncomfortable with V shape.
    happy pickin
    AliGorie said:
    Whats the neck prof, see u'r using yer thumb effortlessly which I find v uncomfortable with V shape.
    happy pickin
    It’s a fairly low profile down at the nut (it’s 1 3/4” nut but that’s never been a dimension I’ve been particularly sensitive to...1 3/4”, 1 11/16”, whatever...doesn’t affect me it seems).

Then it gets more chunky  V and quite wide up past the 7th fret.
    edited June 2018
    good L, yeah neck width has never been a reason not to be able to play for me - off course I have a preference in overall 'feel' of the neck proportions, width being just one of them. There is the ergonomics of 'playing style' of the 'fretting hand' - my thumb normally moves around on the back of the neck depending on finger positioning required. I find the full out V restricts that / directs the thumb into a 'wrap round' (vice grip) hold.
    keep on pickin
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 123
    That's a lovely looking and sounding guitar, congrats! Nice picking in the video too!
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    edited June 2018
    AliGorie said:
    happy pickin
    I must admit I've got rid of a guitar or two due to having overly large necks. However, my OM vintage series has a ginormous neck with a pronounced V and I've been happily playing that for 15+ years. So you never can tell.
    edited June 2018
    The V on this one is quite subtle...not boaty at any point. I actually think this 30's neck shape is a work of genius...it's kind of a C shape down by the nut where you want to play your cowboy chords, and then as you move up - where you'll likely want to adopt a more classical hand position - the top side of the V gives you a nice "shelf" to rest your thumb on and the neck widens out considerably to give you more room to play cleanly. I love it. 
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Are these the 10k ones?
    u whaaaaaaaat ?
    it's (nice)  bits 'a dead trees, ya can't be serious.
    8.5k to be precise.

If we’re going to have a tedious discussion about value, I’ll leave you to it.