The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Yep, me too. Kemper is right up there for me, lovely unit and delivers on so many levels.

I am a massive delay fanatic and it's perhaps testament to the Kemper that I've not rushed out to buy an old favourite delay pedal, such is the gas, but I dont need to, the delays are incredible.

Regards to timescale on the editor, there's no ETA yet. Think that's a common trend with Kemper and the others.
    How does the kemper deal with tape delays ? 

I know you're a fan of the el cap, which is my new love! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited June 2018
    sgosden said:
    Yep, me too. Kemper is right up there for me, lovely unit and delivers on so many levels.

I am a massive delay fanatic and it's perhaps testament to the Kemper that I've not rushed out to buy an old favourite delay pedal, such is the gas, but I dont need to, the delays are incredible.

Regards to timescale on the editor, there's no ETA yet. Think that's a common trend with Kemper and the others.

Honestly, nothing beats the El Cap, for me. And ive not yet got my head around how to set the high and low pass filters to get the tape sound, on the Kemper. Analog and Tape emulations are definitely in there for the taking, though.

I find myself using digital delay more than anything else and always have done, even when I had the El Cap.

I actually really like the modulation and wow and flutter on the Kemper, and those were the controls I used and liked most on the El Cap, I've got as close as I can remember it sounding and im really happy with it.

If you end up moving toward an all in one unit like the Kemper, it's sometimes worth adjusting your thinking and mindset so that you don't compare the minutiae between it and pedals. That'll give you a fresh perspective and will allow you to find new sounds and appreciate it for what it is.

I presonally prefer the Kemper delays to anything I've tried in the past...pedals and Axe FX included.

Here's a video that may help...the sounds ARE in there...

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    sgosden said:

Honestly, nothing beats the El Cap, for me. And ive not yet got my head around how to set the high and low pass filters to get the tape sound, on the Kemper. Analog and Tape emulations are definitely in there for the taking, though.

I find myself using digital delay more than anything else and always have done, even when I had the El Cap.

I actually really like the modulation and wow and flutter on the Kemper, and those were the controls I used and liked most on the El Cap, I've got as close as I can remember it sounding and im really happy with it.

If you end up moving toward an all in one unit like the Kemper, it's sometimes worth adjusting your thinking and mindset so that you don't compare the minutiae between it and pedals. That'll give you a fresh perspective and will allow you to find new sounds and appreciate it for what it is.

I presonally prefer the Kemper delays to anything I've tried in the past...pedals and Axe FX included.

Here's a video that may help...the sounds ARE in there...

An interesting video, I hadn't realised there wasn't dedicated delays as such. Looks like the hi/lo pass and grit can be used to manipulate the crinkle/tape age eqs sounds.

I've been a helix user for the last 18 months, but an ex band mate is letting me borrow his kemper for a few week or two to compare, so whilst I'm used to modellers, its still 'individual effects'.

Who got experience of some good Friedman, splawn, any hot-rod marshall profiles?

when I get a chance to do a comparison between helix and kemper, I'll be spending majority of time on these style amps against.

• sgosden said:

Who got experience of some good Friedman, splawn, any hot-rod marshall profiles?

when I get a chance to do a comparison between helix and kemper, I'll be spending majority of time on these style amps against.

I spend a lot of time with the Friedman Lil Box profile from Choptones. Superb. Also use the Marshall Zack Wylde Choptones profile too. Both superb.

• dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 562
    The Amp Factory's Friedman Dirty Shirley profile is one of my favourites
  • M Britt Dirty Shirley is fantastic, might be in pack 3 I think but there's a free one in his pack on Rig Manager. There's also some great free Dirty Shirley and BE profiles by Tim Owens
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 562
    Yeh I think it is just a good amp regardless of profile!

Is Tim Owens just a bloke that uploads profiles then?

as opposed to the likes of MBritt who sells them?

Any recommendations on where to head for a JJ or butterslax profile?

Borrowing Kemper off a mate, in august when he's finished a run of gigs. Gonna get as much as I can lined up and lock myself away with it :)

• sgosden said:

Borrowing Kemper off a mate, in august when he's finished a run of gigs. Gonna get as much as I can lined up and lock myself away with it :)

There's the 'Rig Exchange' where all owners can contribute profiles, to anyone, for free. He's probably on there.

Butterslax here, though I've not tried it...https://cililabkpaprofiles.bigcartel.com/product/buttersex

Dunno about a JJ, sorry.

My advice:
    • Install 'Rig Manager'
    • grab the latest Beta firmware
    • Reset the Kemper to factory settings - Warren recently said that his newest Kemper was far and above better than his last, so I reckon a lot of that is down to FW changes made since his last one...so it's worth being up to date.
    • Explore your profile library by gain rating
    @freebird has some good advice on this, he has a good way of managing his profiles in order to get the most of quite a large library and to really pinpoint what you're looking for.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I’ll say it again but for my money the MBritt lighting jack profiles are my favourite mid to high gain profiles
    pretty much all I use 
  • sgosden said:

Search for the Have Amps Will Profile thread on the Kemper forum. He made them all available there. Failing that PM me your email and I’ll send some over.
  • On a separate note, what are people's thoughts on this long awaited Spring Reverb?

Personally, I think it's awesome. Reminds me of my old Fender amp. Really nice sounding reverb with oodles of 'drip'!

The thing I didn't think I'd be impressed with on the Kemper was the FX...why? Because the internet. What's the one thing that's impressed more than anything (knowing amp sound would be awesome anyway)? The FX! Fucking internet.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    edited June 2018
    On a separate note, what are people's thoughts on this long awaited Spring Reverb?

Personally, I think it's awesome. Reminds me of my old Fender amp. Really nice sounding reverb with oodles of 'drip'!

The thing I didn't think I'd be impressed with on the Kemper was the FX...why? Because the internet. What's the one thing that's impressed more than anything (knowing amp sound would be awesome anyway)? The FX! Fucking internet.
    I had a play last night, I like it!

I found it very easy to use aswell, much less fussy than some of the effects on there.

Can't wait for the new reverb overhaul! 
  • joeyowen said:
    On a separate note, what are people's thoughts on this long awaited Spring Reverb?

I had a play last night, I like it!

I found it very easy to use aswell, much less fussy than some of the effects on there.

Can't wait for the new reverb overhaul! 
    How'd you mean, "less fussy"?

Me too, the new reverb stuff will be good, I reckon! If the delays are anything to go by.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2018
    joeyowen said:
    Any timescale on the editor? it's about bloody time.  

Looking forward to the reverbs now too, I've always wanted two verbs to switch between and the lack of options has been a (very small) bugbear 

Kemper still holds place for best guitar purchase ever made (other than guitars themselves)
    There is an unofficial community project editor available which works via midi. It has some limitations, but it is certainly useful.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Kemper ramping up the reverbs by the looks...

Me too, the new reverb stuff will be good, I reckon! If the delays are anything to go by.
    I find that some effects take a lot of tweaking to sound normal.  For example, a pedal will have 3/5 dials, whereas the Kemper will have 8.  Chorus, phaser and wah all take some work for me.  Great sounds are achievable, but with some effort.

However, no matter how much I screwed about with the settings for the reverb, it sounded good.  There were a lot more sweet spots.  Providing the mix was set, all sounded good.  This made me very happy!
    Freebird said:
    joeyowen said:
    Any timescale on the editor? it's about bloody time.  

Looking forward to the reverbs now too, I've always wanted two verbs to switch between and the lack of options has been a (very small) bugbear 

Kemper still holds place for best guitar purchase ever made (other than guitars themselves)
    There is an unofficial community project editor available which works via midi. It has some limitations, but it is certainly useful.
    I found this, and went on a 1am scramble for more midi cables, but I appear to have used them all up damnit.

I'll try and pick some up soon

Have you tried it?  Worth a download?
  • joeyowen said:

I find that some effects take a lot of tweaking to sound normal.  For example, a pedal will have 3/5 dials, whereas the Kemper will have 8.  Chorus, phaser and wah all take some work for me.  Great sounds are achievable, but with some effort.

However, no matter how much I screwed about with the settings for the reverb, it sounded good.  There were a lot more sweet spots.  Providing the mix was set, all sounded good.  This made me very happy!
    I get you. This new lot of reverbs sound really good in the videos, hopefully we'll get to try them out soon! :-)