Depressed with my live sound and Amp rig again. Maybe I need to downsize .

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    rawk100 said:
    My JCM900 50W SLX sounds good at low volumes and this is compared to the JCM2000 DSL, JCM900 dual reverb and JCM800 I used to own.
    Thanks !! In my experience the JCM800's seem to have most of their volume before 4 on the dial!!
    I'm running my SLX at about 1.5 on the volume and it's fine for the house (OK it would wake the kids up eventually but its by no means stupid loud) and sounds full and meaty. 1.5 on my old 2203 wouldve been stupid loud.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited June 2018
    rawk100 said:
    rawk100 said:
    My JCM900 50W SLX sounds good at low volumes and this is compared to the JCM2000 DSL, JCM900 dual reverb and JCM800 I used to own.
    Thanks !! In my experience the JCM800's seem to have most of their volume before 4 on the dial!!
    I'm running my SLX at about 1.5 on the volume and it's fine for the house (OK it would wake the kids up eventually but its by no means stupid loud) and sounds full and meaty. 1.5 on my old 2203 wouldve been stupid loud.
    I used to play in a band with someone who had a dsl100. At gigs my  2204 was on 2 or 3, his was on about 6ish. 
    I think they're generally loud compared to other amps!!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Less efficient speakers or configured to be less powerful to the output transformer, then attenuate if needed. Although having smaller more portable gear has it's appeal. Getting your ears used to and accepting a slightly different sound scape is the crux for me.
  • It sounds to me like you need the EL34 version of the Victory Kraken in your life.

Either that, or a Jet City Amelia (although they're not exactly small).

However, with that said...I had many of the same problems as you, and it wasn't until I got the Helix that they've all been solved. I now run the Helix through a Yamaha DXR10, and all is good with the world. Literally any sound I want at any volume, and none of the weight.
    What amp models and IR's are you mainly using with the DXR10 ? any hi cut on the IR or on the global EQ ? I love my helix but still struggling to make it work in a live setting just direct into the PA. Just interested to know what works for you .
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    John_P said:
    EVH 50   Use it as a two channel amp.
    This. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    rawk100 said:
    rawk100 said:

I had a 4100 dual reverb that I used in the house. It actually sounded pretty good anywhere up to about 4 or 5, which was as loud as I dared crank it when I was a kid still living with parents.

I sold it a few years ago, and had an unfortunate incident with the footswitch and the separate volume controls for each channel. After coming back from a service I tested channel 1 then switched over to channel 2 without checking the volume, which was at 10. My Mrs didn't speak to me for a couple of days (or I couldn't hear her when she did), and I've never seen the cats move so fast.

They get a bad rep but I think they are lovely amps.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    CHRISB50 said:

I sold it a few years ago, and had an unfortunate incident with the footswitch and the separate volume controls for each channel. After coming back from a service I tested channel 1 then switched over to channel 2 without checking the volume, which was at 10. My Mrs didn't speak to me for a couple of days (or I couldn't hear her when she did), and I've never seen the cats move so fast.
    lol

I've seen someone do that with a Fender Stage 160W 2x12" in a shop as well :).

I do also quite like the Dual Reverb models - but it has to be said I like hybrid sounds in general so that may not be surprising. I used to dislike the build quality, but compared to what Marshall did after that they seem positively great! I've often been tempted to get the little 100W 1x12" combo and upgrade everything that needs it (speaker and pots mostly).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein