Are Jazz and Precision necks interchangeable?

To follow on from a recent thread about swapping a Strat neck for a Tele neck, I'm asking the same question about bass guitars.

I have a Westfield Precision that I saved from a skip and the only issue is a chip taken from the nut. However, I prefer the neck on my VM Jazz and am checking if I can take a regular replacement Jazz-style neck to replace that neck on the Westfield P.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    For all intents and purposes, then yes.. they are the same fitting.

You might want to have a look at bridge spacing but if it's a standard bent-steel type then it should still be fine. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14405
    The nut width difference means that the two neck shapes taper slightly differently along their edges.

A Jazz neck in a P pocket may have a bit of a gap next to the E string. (RIZLA paper shim should sort it.)

A P neck in a Jazz pocket may require a little strong-arm persuasion to achieve correct string alignment.

On the majority of CBS-era Fender basses, the neck pocket tolerances are so slack that it doesn't matter what you screw on where.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Cool. Thanks for the tips!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I stuck a Jazz Bass neck onto a 1976 Precision body. No gaps, plays perfectly.

In my experience, 1970s basses don't seem to suffer from bad neck pockets as badly as Strats. Some do seem to have their own gravitational pull though!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 813
    Trevor Wilkinson at one point made a Vintage Advance AV4 and AV4+1 which essentially involved a precision bass neck fitted to a Jazz Bass stye body. 'Man size' string spacing was the term he used.

Really a rather nice bass...