Guitarist looking for a bass

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
During our time in the recording studio last week, I was messing around on some of the basses and had a great time noodling away - so much so that I would like to get one. What should I be looking at? I like the 'traditional' bass look (p-bass, jazz, maybe even jag) but I don't need anything expensive. Would only be used for writing/practice/learning at home and say a budget of £200 and don't mind used.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    The Harley Benton basses get a lot of love in that price range I think!...
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    I bought an Ibanez SR300 for exactly the same reasons as you. Easy to play, records well enough direct-to-desk and has some nice sounds. I've never played it through a bass amp (since playing it in the shop) or in a band situation.  It's an active bass with lots of tonal range on the instrument itself. Now a tad over £200 new, so should easily be in budget if bought used. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I bought an Ibanez SR300 for exactly the same reasons as you. Easy to play, records well enough direct-to-desk and has some nice sounds. I've never played it through a bass amp (since playing it in the shop) or in a band situation.  It's an active bass with lots of tonal range on the instrument itself. Now a tad over £200 new, so should easily be in budget if bought used. 
    Thanks - googled the SR300 and our bassist has one of the expensive ones. I like the looks but wouldn't buy one. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited June 2018
    I chose an RBX375, after using a de-fretted precision copy for several years (for similar purposes). I'd noticed that it was taking up to 3 weeks for my intonation to become anything like acceptable, so I got a fretted version which would allow accurate intonation from the get-go. IIRC I paid almost £100 more than your budget but I've not regretted it. Other Yamaha basses are available ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I enjoy noodling around on my Squier Jag. It's not bad at all and being a short scale is easy to play and sounds pretty good. And they don't cost much either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Difficult to go wrong with a pre-owned Squier Vintage Modified P, J or Jag Bass. There are bound to be some listed in the Basses £ section. Also of possible interest, the Squier Dimension Bass, the Jaguar H and the elusive Mikey Way signature Mustang Bass.

Elsewhere in this price range, pre-owned, you might find a Sterling SUB4, the Ibanez/Soundgear SRB(X), Talman and ATK. Many of these are made in Indonesia, at the Cort factory, just like the entirely worthy Action bass.

The lower end of the Yamaha RBX series bass guitars can often be found inexpensively. The woodwork and fretting are excellent. The pickups and electronics are what let them down. My personal favourite is the (long discontinued) Attitude Plus. I habitually modify these with a Gotoh 201B bridge and a posh pickup.

On a general level, life will be easier if you choose something with pickups that cancel noise individually rather than only when two single coils are turned up full.

Bridgehouse usually suggests the Precision Bass. He has a point. One pickup, two pots, four strings, no distractions, get on with it.

Be seeing you.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Go for a used Fender type bass.  Hard to go wrong with a Precision bass.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578

Bridgehouse usually suggests the Precision Bass. He has a point. One pickup, two pots, four strings, no distractions, get on with it.

Dare I say it, only one pickup that hum cancels, with only two knobs (vol and tone) means less faffing, messing, twiddling and “finding the right sound” and more time getting on with actually playing (theoretically)

A bit like a LP Junior or an Esquire - nice and simple - the bonus with a Precision is it also seems to fit most bassing situations very well
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411

Coming from guitar, you might find a short scale easier.  The Ibanez TMB30 is only about £170 new, so can be had for very little if you can find one second hand.  It's a superb bass for the money.

If you are comfortable on a long scale bass, then some kind of Squier Precision is the obvious answer in your budget.

You could try a Jazz, as the necks are slimmer and easier to play, but the Precision sounds better.

The other option is some kind of hybrid PJ configuration.  There was an Indonesian made Squier P Bass Special that is really good if you can find one second hand.   Precision body and neck pickup, but with an added Jazz bridge pickup, and a Jazz neck.

A short scale does affect the tone of a bass - it is a distinct sound, so you need to know what sort of bass tone you’d like.
    Personally I'd advise not getting a short scale unless you have some kind of physical reason you couldn't play a full scale. 

It's not that difficult to get used to playing a full scale bass for most adults and the choice is far greater, and the tone will be 'as expected' given most bassists play full (34") scale basses.

Of course if all your favourite bassists play short scale basses then it's worth considering.  But most people when they think of 'bass tone' are thinking of a 34" scale Precision, Jazz, or a Stingray tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Personally I'd advise not getting a short scale unless you have some kind of physical reason you couldn't play a full scale. 

It's not that difficult to get used to playing a full scale bass for most adults and the choice is far greater, and the tone will be 'as expected' given most bassists play full (34") scale basses.

Of course if all your favourite bassists play short scale basses then it's worth considering.  But most people when they think of 'bass tone' are thinking of a 34" scale Precision, Jazz, or a Stingray tone.
    Absolutely agree - I don’t think getting a short scale because “it suits a guitarist better” is a good reason at all.. the longer scale really does affect feel, sound, and playability
  • toescantalktoescantalk Frets: 142
    The Squier Jaguar Bass sounds great to me and is really fun to play.
    edited June 2018
    most people, when they think of 'bass tone', are thinking of a 34" scale Precision, Jazz or a Stingray tone.
    There might be somebody on this forum who thinks of neither the 34" scale nor any brand whose name does not begin and end with the letter R. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    most people, when they think of 'bass tone', are thinking of a 34" scale Precision, Jazz or a Stingray tone.
    There might be somebody on this forum who thinks of neither the 34" scale nor any brand whose name does not begin and end with the letter R. 
    And much as you think I’m totally obsessed with P basses, I have some short scale favourites too:

The 60s hollowbody used by the Animals that sounds just like a hair spray
    Those Masonite and lipstick pickup lightweight awesome 60s basses
    Those see through Dan the Man basses that had the name of that massive amp manufacturer on..

Not those Rockinbetter ones tho. No. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Not those Rockinbetter ones, tho. No. 
    Well played, sir. :)
    Be seeing you.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I swear by my VM Jazz. The MIM isn't worth the extra £200. I didn't get on with Epiphone basses.

Harley Benton isn't bad. Deffo need a setup. Lots of people say to try Cort.
    IC what you are saying.

However 33.25 is near enough 34" that I'll let it go.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I swear by my VM Jazz. The MIM isn't worth the extra £200. I didn't get on with Epiphone basses.

Harley Benton isn't bad. Deffo need a setup. Lots of people say to try Cort.
    If you aren’t going AVRI or other ‘murican then I see no point in getting anything more than the VM. 

The Epi semi/hollows are good - the Jack Casady is good, as is the 90s Rivoli. More moolah tho.

Still think the Ibanez offerings are really very good - I have one I gig regularly over US Fender offerings and it’s cracking.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    An Aria STB Series bass, second hand, is dirt cheap and a very good instrument. In bass, simple is best and you can’t get anything simpler than a Precision. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum