EQ rack unit for live sound

thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2319
My aging old eq unit is dying a death so looking to get a new one.

What's the skinny on decently priced EQ units?  We used this pretty much to knock out feedback on the pa so it is used on the two outputs of the mixer to the speakers..    Money wise I don't want to spend more than £130ish. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9686
    I have one of these in my loft which I've never used, only opened the box to check it was in there. It's "new old stock" so is a bit dusty on the box but the unit is clean and new. No idea if they are any good though?

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/processors/graphic-equalizers/scurve131/

Slightly concerned at this notice on the web page for it though:
    WARNING: This product contains Chemicals, including DEHP, known to the State of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm.

It seems to have a section in the manual about using it for eliminating feedback (in the downloads section on the page linked above).

As it's doing me no good I'd happily send it to you for the price of postage, hopefully somebody here has an idea as to whether they're useful for you though?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2319
    I have one of these in my loft which I've never used, only opened the box to check it was in there. It's "new old stock" so is a bit dusty on the box but the unit is clean and new. No idea if they are any good though?

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/processors/graphic-equalizers/scurve131/

Slightly concerned at this notice on the web page for it though:
    WARNING: This product contains Chemicals, including DEHP, known to the State of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm.

It seems to have a section in the manual about using it for eliminating feedback (in the downloads section on the page linked above).

As it's doing me no good I'd happily send it to you for the price of postage, hopefully somebody here has an idea as to whether they're useful for you though?
    thats a very nice offer old bean and I'll gladly accept!

Pm incoming
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8684
    We use a Behringer 31 band graphic. Probably this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/BEHRINGER-ULTRAGRAPH-PRO-FBQ3102HD-Equalizer/dp/B019Q405F0 . The fact that I can’t remember illustrates that it does the job without me having to worry about it. We looked at the Phonic equivalent and sent it back because of mains hum and noise floor.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3116
    Just found a pair of Behringer feedback destroyers in the garage if that’s of interest
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    There was a study conducted by the professionals on prosoundweb some years ago. There are problems will all analogue graphics where they create dips and peaks at harmonic points associated with the center frequency beiny adjusted, effectivly setting a smaller possible feedback point of cutting frequencies you'd rather leave. The better the quality (read more expensive) the lesser that distorted response tended to happen. There was an exception to the cheap units tested, the digital Behrenger DSP8024 was almost pure in its response curve, it also had many other useful features. They are no longer made (buy one if you can and change the button battery to preserve the settings) but the replacement DEQ2496 does similar. The downside is no slider to grab in a hurry, but if you tune the rig and set parametrics as defaults the need to grab a slider goes away to a greated or lesser extent.
    I've got one of each running FOH (8024) and wedges (2496) and they have been very reliable and once set require little in the way of manipulation.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8684
    ESBlonde said:
    ... DEQ2496 does similar. 
    Ah, that’s the one I’ve got. I recognise the number now.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24258
    We’ve got an 8024 in our rig.  Be aware the Auto-Q function (stick a mic in it and it plays white/pink noise and auto adjusts itself to whatever curve you want) doesn’t work unless you have firmware 1.3 (EEPROMS available on eBay with 1.3 on for bugger all).  I haven’t had time to twiddle with ours, mostly because the rest of the band think a soundcheck consists of “Is there sound?” “Yes.... Checked”.

Also, I have as much skill operating a graphic as a deaf gibbon wearing boxing gloves.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9686
    How are you getting on with the Samson @thomasw88 ? Hope it has been useful
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2319
    How are you getting on with the Samson @thomasw88 ? Hope it has been useful
    Used it at one gig so far others were all supplied pa .  I’ll get a photo of it this weekend in full action!! Thanks again old bean you are beyond kind and generous!!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Emp_Fab said:
    We’ve got an 8024 in our rig.  Be aware the Auto-Q function (stick a mic in it and it plays white/pink noise and auto adjusts itself to whatever curve you want) doesn’t work unless you have firmware 1.3 (EEPROMS available on eBay with 1.3 on for bugger all).  I haven’t had time to twiddle with ours, mostly because the rest of the band think a soundcheck consists of “Is there sound?” “Yes.... Checked”.

Also, I have as much skill operating a graphic as a deaf gibbon wearing boxing gloves.
    One of the best things you can do is set up the PA outdoors well away from reflective buildings, trees etc. and use a flat response/reference mic about 1.5-2meters in front of it into the 8024. (One stack only is fine, assuming they are a matched pair). Then use the auto Q (check on the spectrum analyser) to determine where the problems lie in the sound system without room interference (every speaker setup has some).
    Save that setting as a default, it makes tweeking for a bad room a much easier process with probably one or two very small Eq changes.
    I also recommend doing similar with your wedge monitors but use the exact vocal mic in it's typical position above the wedge to tune the wedge and mic combination flat as a feedback aid. Learn or save those settings as the monitor default, they will sound lifeless but give no peaks to cause feedback, just dial in some sparkle to sound sweet and roll off some bottom end. You will have few feedback issues when you setup in most venues with this default (low ceilings notwithstanding).

It's well worth taking the time to do this, it makes an average PA sound so much better. The other thing to do is to make sure it is adequately powered and fed a clean signal.

One last thing, the 8024 has an overall delay function. Set this (in distance) as the typical distance from the line between the front columns to the kick drum face. This will align any miced signals to the backline and give a) a cleared sound. b) the delay is like moving the mic away a similar distance so further reducing feedback possibilities. Don't go mad though because over a certain amount the ear can detect it and it plays havoc with timing. 5-6ft is a good compromise as a default if you dont know. If you can insert 4-5ft on the wedges too that further reduces feedback for the same reason.

Those cheap little 8024 boxes have some powerful features when you use them correctly.