What peoples views on a fender cd-60s

What's Hot
Andyc58Andyc58 Frets: 0
edited June 2018 in Acoustics
Hi people. I'm new to the guitar world at the age of 34. Bought a cheap guitar from argos lol.But the shop I took it to to get it setup up couldn't do anything with it as it's a rubbish guitar. Any thought on the fender cd-60s. As im looking at this guitar as my next one. Any info would be great
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71865
    edited June 2018
    Ah, I thought you meant it was the Fender that the shop couldn't set up. Argos explains it :).

The other part still stands though - Fender are pretty good for quality control even at the low end of the range. A lot of people look down on Fender acoustics, but personally I think they're fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• enjoenjo Frets: 247
    I have a Fender CP-60s next to my desk at work for noodling and annoying my colleagues - Its a good guitar. I find dreadnoughts (like the CD-60) a bit big for me to be comfy to play but if you are bigger than me it will be a decent starter guitar. 
  • Andyc58Andyc58 Frets: 0
    edited June 2018
    I would like to get one that has bigger gaps between the strings and I'm finding it hard to get the notes correct
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14257
    Andyc58 said:
    bigger gaps between the strings
    Which hand feels cramped? The picking fingers or the fretting ones? 
    Be seeing you.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4101
    edited June 2018
    Andyc58 said:
    I would like to get one that has bigger gaps between the strings and I'm finding it hard to get the notes correct
    Bear in mind that it IS hard to get the notes clean as a beginner, but it's very unlikely to be the guitar's fault (once you have something vaguely playable - not the Argos job). Things like string spacing are nuanced preferences and I really wouldn't get hug up on them at this stage. Out there in guitar land there are people with shovel hands playing skinny-necked guitars, and toddlers playing full sized dreadnoughts with heavy strings. Assuming the action is reasonable, the instrument is seldom a limiting factor.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Lewy said:
    Andyc58 said:
    Bear in mind that it IS hard to get the notes clean as a beginner, but it's very unlikely to be the guitar's fault (once you have something vaguely playable - not the Argos job). Things like string spacing are nuanced preferences and I really wouldn't get hug up on them at this stage. Out there in guitar land there are people with shovel hands playing skinny-necked guitars, and toddlers playing full sized dreadnoughts with heavy strings. Assuming the action is reasonable, the instrument is seldom a limiting factor.
    Yes, definitely a preference thing for later on. Don’t sweat it - I learned on an acoustic with an action that was higher than Maradonna at an Argentina game and it served to toughen up my fingers and *really* appreciate a decent guitar later on!
    Ok.thanks alot. The cd-60s will be the one then.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    fender acoustics = firewood
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 247
    What is your choice for a budget acoustic Phil? I've found them to be perfectly playable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    fender acoustics = firewood
    That must be why Elvis, Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash played them then :).

Personally I'd take a Fender over quite a lot of the supposedly more "approved" acoustic guitar brands, at least until you start to spend fairly serious money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    It's very rarely the guitar. It's mostly about hard work. 
    Also been looking at the Yamaha fg800m. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Andyc58 said:
    There's nothing wrong with Fender, I've had a Cd lying around for years but I would get the Yamaha.
    Kilgore said:
    Andyc58 said:
    There's nothing wrong with Fender, I've had a Cd lying around for years but I would get the Yamaha.
    You need to play them both. There’s no quality difference between low-end Yamaha and Fender acoustics... and in fact of the ones I’ve played, I’ve almost always preferred the Fenders.

It’s also worth bearing in mind that Yamahas usually have slightly narrower necks and string spacing, although I’m not certain about that model.

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    ICBM said:
    Kilgore said:
    Andyc58 said:
    You need to play them both. There’s no quality difference between low-end Yamaha and Fender acoustics... and in fact of the ones I’ve played, I’ve almost always preferred the Fenders.

It’s also worth bearing in mind that Yamahas usually have slightly narrower necks and string spacing, although I’m not certain about that model.
    Good point on the neck/string spacing.

At that price point I would also take a look at the Sigma DM ST.
    So an update. Decided to get the fender. Still no idea how to play. Just hope this guitar will help me getting my fingers in right place. The Argos guitar I have is rubbish
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    enjo said:
    What is your choice for a budget acoustic Phil? I've found them to be perfectly playable.
    I didn't like the tone of them that I've played. Yamaha seem to be OK, but some people say they're rubbish unplugged and others say they're rubbish plugged in. The last budget price acoustic I bought was a Gretsch Jim Dandy which I thought sounded better than the price tag would suggest it should, but I'm picky about intonation: IMO the JD is tolerable with new strings but as they get older the intonation gets further out of whack.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Andyc58 said:
    So an update. Decided to get the fender. Still no idea how to play. Just hope this guitar will help me getting my fingers in right place. The Argos guitar I have is rubbish
    It's you that will help you get your fingers in the right place!

I quite liked the only Fender acoustic I have played, you might want to consider getting that set up by someone who knows what they are doing.

My first point is serious though, I was about 40 when I started playing guitar and went through the whole "it's the guitars fault" that everything I played sounded shite and was really difficult. Even though my early guitars sounded great when other people played them I kept buying more expensive guitars thinking things would get easier. This is true up until a point but the truth is you need to practice loads! Don't make the mistake I made of blaming the tools!

BTW - ten years later I've got a high end custom shop acoustic and I am still shite! ;-)
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited July 2018
    Andyc58 said:
    have you heard of cleartone conversions?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    I've got a yamaha fg420l and a fender. The yamaha has a narrower neck. It cost me more than the fender. Both good but I'm more used to neck on the yamaha as I've had it longer.