New Joe B Single and Album

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2602
in Music tFB Trader

The first single

Blues guitar great Joe Bonamassa has announced a new studio album, Redemption. The new solo album—Bonamassa's 13th—is set to arrive September 21 via his own J&R Adventures record label.

Featuring 12 original songs, Redemption shows Bonamassa exploring themes of re-birth and—as the album's title hints at—redemption. “I’m going through some other stuff in my life I didn’t expect to be going through," he said. "It’s a rising, it’s contrition, it’s acceptance, it’s everything. It’s painful, but knowing that there’s a rising coming." You can hear the album's title track below.

Redemption was recorded at various locations, including Blackbird and Addiction Sounds Studios in Nashville, The Cave Australia in Sydney, Studio At The Palms in Las Vegas and the Criteria Hit Factory in Miami FL. It features drummer Anton Fig (David Letterman Band), bassist Michael Rhodes, keyboardist Reese Wynans, horn players Lee Thornburg and Paulie Cerra, harmony vocalist Gary Pinto, background singers Mahalia Barnes, Jade McRae, Juanita Tippins and—notably—two additional guitarists, Kenny Greenberg and Doug Lancio.

“It was interesting, because having two extra guitar players involved, allowed me to play a certain way,” Bonamassa said of the arrangement

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I will be buying this. I like Joe’s stuff.

.........ducks for cover based on past experience.........

Rob
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I just can't seem to get into his stuff. I should love it but it doesn't move me at all. I have a couple of albums but I never really play them, there are a ton of blues players that I prefer.

He's obviously very popular though, I always head for the Blues section in HMV and they always have waaaaaay more Joe B than any other artist. He's the guy that sells records I guess.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I like it.     Looking forward to the album.  
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    I enjoyed that thanks for the link.
  • Pretty accomplished... to my cloth ears. 

If I was being really critical, I can't help thinking how a voice like John Hiatt's would raise this track from pretty good to bloody marvellous. 

Merely an opinion. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2329
    Disclaimer: I like Joe and his music.
     But this sounds like an artist and team over thinking it to me. Would love to see him with a different producer, Shirley has run his course here methinks....just more of the same.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    Rabs said:
    Featuring 12 original songs, Redemption shows Bonamassa exploring themes of re-birth and—as the album's title hints at—redemption. “I’m going through some other stuff in my life I didn’t expect to be going through," he said. "It’s a rising, it’s contrition, it’s acceptance, it’s everything. It’s painful, but knowing that there’s a rising coming."
    Signature coasters, cell phone cases and loungewear not selling as well as expected?
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2018
    axisus said:
    I just can't seem to get into his stuff. I should love it but it doesn't move me at all. I have a couple of albums but I never really play them, there are a ton of blues players that I prefer.
    Lyrics that are sung directly from a notepad don't move me either. I wonder if he actually wrote them? The string section in the breakdown sounded familiar too.

Not a bad tune, but it felt a bit like he was going through the motions to me.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Yknow I’m invariably someone who has little interest in lyrics yet ones as bad as these just pop out the speakers at you.
    To get me back to listening to him I feel he needs a producer who can bring more out of him and not this bunch of cliches strung together. I’d rather like this than not but I don’t. But he owns guitars worth than my house so I guess Joe and his entourage aren’t likely to see it my way. 

After three:

num num num num, my redempshion  
    num num num num , my redempshion
    num num num num , my  redempshion. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A bit like this...

https://youtu.be/cONgZekkJ94
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2329
    For the last few records he's used a team of Nashville songwriters because he'd got a touch of writers block.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    axisus said:

He's obviously very popular though, I always head for the Blues section in HMV and they always have waaaaaay more Joe B than any other artist. He's the guy that sells records I guess.

Much the same here actually..  I posted it cos I know people like him and may be interested.

For me its all a bit to much by the numbers. I do think he can play well and he has THE most amazing collection of gear but when I listen to him it just does nothing for me which is odd cos really he plays the kind of genre I like but it just bores me? I don't even understand why exactly that is. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    You can't fault Joe's work ethic - Continuous tour after tour and album after album in one form or another

I don't dislike him, but equally I've never found him to be the 'idol' in the same way as others have influenced me - Not fully sure why - IMO his finest 2/3 favourite albums are the first 2 with Beth Hart and the follow up live album - maybe it's because with Beth, he is there to add colour and texture to the song and not to try and own it, as he does on his solo albums, with to much guitar - I'm a big Gary Moore fan, certainly regarding his playing, but as an overview you'd never say he was a great singer or song writer - I some how feel Joe is the same - On solo albums, the guitar rules supreme over the song - But with Beth, the song is already written, as most/many are covers - Beth handles the vocals so Joe adds 'colour' to the song with tasty supporting licks and solos that are part of the song

I think it was @Ossyrocks who let me know about this track via another posting and it shows how good he is IMO

I'll listen to the above clips and then decide to buy or not
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602

You know I was jus thinking about this trying to understand why I don't like his music so much...

When I hear say, Slash, Hendrix, SRV, Page, Gilmour, Angus, Gary Moore, BB King and certain others play I can often tell its them playing without knowing who it is... They have such distinctive styles you just know, right?

When I hear Joe B without looking I have no idea who it is. In some ways it could be many players as he is good but yet I don't think I can hear anything in his music which screams him..  Maybe its his obsession with playing licks exactly like the original guys which means that he just has borrowed styles and no particular style of his own??

And don't get me wrong, I do think hes a great player and is far better than I ever have a hope of achieving (Id be lucky if I am ever able to play even 10% of what he does so well)...

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I just don't believe a word he sings :s  
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    edited June 2018
    tone1 said:
    I just don't believe a word he sings s  
    That’s exactly the way I see it as well.
    It’s almost like listening to a tribute act.
    Those 3 backing singers in the first clip had way more soul than JB.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    Every one of his songs feels like the singing is just the bit he has to labour through to get to the guitar solo. There's just no emotional content in there - it's all very "music by numbers"

Has anyone who doesn't play guitar ever intentionally sat down and listened to Bonamassa? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Every one of his songs feels like the singing is just the bit he has to labour through to get to the guitar solo. There's just no emotional content in there - it's all very "music by numbers"

Has anyone who doesn't play guitar ever intentionally sat down and listened to Bonamassa? 
    I used to work with someone who was a big fan, spent a fortune on Albert Hall tickets,etc, and she didn’t play any guitar. Even she would , I think, have said Joe was all about live and she wasn’t bothered about the albums. I’ve been to see Joe with my oldest son and my bro in law and both thought he was great then didn’t like the recorded stuff much. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    Every one of his songs feels like the singing is just the bit he has to labour through to get to the guitar solo. 
    Which is pretty much how I feel as a listener.  The songs are dull as can be but - yeah, I know, it's not "proper" blues - I do actually love the way the guy solos.*

(* Except in BCC - I thought JB would be great in a rock, as opposed to blues-rock, context, but in fact it doesn't work at all, for me.)