Fortunate Son - post inspired by the mix challenge.

BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
So I've had a go at the mix challenge this month and the song choice stuck out for me.  I didn't know the song until a year ago (I know, I still feel the shame) when I was challenged to cover it by my band mate ... we do this now and then, both cover the same song and see how different the results are.  Fair to say, this time really bloody different.

Anyway, I decided not to taint my attempt by listening to the song, I went in wtih lyrics and a dodgy old school ascii tab for arrangement purposes.  I only REALLY learnt the folly of my ways listening to the song afterwards to learn the melody for the vocal.

Anyway, I still really like it.  One of the best heavy guitar tones I've recorded and pretty happy with the vocal too.  As always, if you listen, feedback always very welcome.

Cheers!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Love this!... very different take on a classic!... good work!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Dunno what you're on about. Sounds just like CCR to me...

Good effort. Great rock tone for sure. And I definitely prefer it to the original.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    I think not knowing the melody has freed you from trying to work around something already established; this sounds great! Love the vocals and the dark, sombre tone you've got going on. Sweet solo as well!
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Thanks chaps, very kind of you all :)
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Very Muse ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    A tune I love being of that sort of age so this version obviously a bit jarring for an old git like me :-).  That said its an interesting take and I think you have done a great job in lots of areas of getting the energy into it along with the modern sound and arrangement. 

If I had gone this far with it I would probably redo the vocals without the cold., The power and passion of the vocals in the original sort of carries it a lot and I would say it needs some of that in this. As the modern style vocals are fairly demanding on the voice I would probably comp the vocals from short takes to get the power and passion of that style I understand its a different style of power and passion than the original but still feel it needs it. Possibly with diligent eq and processing etc to pump it up a bit more.

Anyway a good take on a great song.