No drive

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
i went out last Saturday and used my Dualist and its foot switch to switch it's channel for solos and gritty bits. Didn't even turn on my drive pedal of choice. Sometimes I wonder why we bother with drive pedals as it sounded awesome. Not selling my drive pedal though as I love that too ;£ 
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Most modern amps will give a great drive sound. OD pedals aren’t usually necessary - they’re convenient, often give you a different sound to your amp and - let’s face it - majority of guitarists love mucking about with pedals. It’s fun! 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31456
    The only reason I use a drive pedal on my 2-channel amp is because I know exactly how much gain and volume it will add to whatever channel I'm using. 

Switching to a separate channel live has always been a lottery for me, will my guitar take everyone's heads off with volume or will it totally disappear in the mix? 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    p90fool said:
    The only reason I use a drive pedal on my 2-channel amp is because I know exactly how much gain and volume it will add to whatever channel I'm using. 

Switching to a separate channel live has always been a lottery for me, will my guitar take everyone's heads off with volume or will it totally disappear in the mix? 
    Yes I totally get you on that one :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    ^ +1 to both sentences, @p90fool
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    I still use a drive pedal but it’s to push the front end of my dirty channel, not to give me a dirty sound. And I always need prefer amp distortion too, clean and dirty. Keep it simple with separate volumes and we for each channel.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    edited May 2018
    p90fool said:

Isn’t that something you set at the soundcheck?

Although this is the reason I don’t like multi-channel amps which don’t have a single overall master volume/level control... you can’t adjust one channel without having to then adjust the other one. With a single control, the balance between the two should remain the same if you turn up or down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31456
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

Isn’t that something you set at the soundcheck?
    We haven't had a soundcheck since 2014! Rules for a simple life, put your amp knobs where they were last week, no amp wanking in a crowded wedding, 1-2 line check and tweak as you go.

Bigger gigs through supplied PAs are different obviously, but most pub band sound check are bar-emptying ego trips and I don't tolerate them. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    edited May 2018
    What I’ve found is using a drive pedal can allow you to dial down the drive on the amp a bit for verses. Instead of setting it to, say, 7 you can have it on 4 or 5, and use the OD pedal for solos. The verses have more clarity and punch and the solos have that bit extra grunt and fluidity. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9505
    i went out last Saturday and used my Dualist and its foot switch to switch it's channel for solos and gritty bits. Didn't even turn on my drive pedal of choice. Sometimes I wonder why we bother with drive pedals as it sounded awesome. Not selling my drive pedal though as I love that too ;£ 
    I agree mate...

My Redplate CDS2 has a choice of 2 pre-amps - blackface/tweed.

After this, there is a 3 button footswitch which adds boost (mids) and drive (or both).

I havent used an OD pedal since Ive got this.... incredible
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2189
    If you're running a single channel non master volume amp an od pedal (or string of gain inducing devices) is very useful.