ideas suggestions re an affordable rectangular (pref ABS) case for a small semi-scoustic bass?

What's Hot
valevale Frets: 1052
am shopping for a decent but afforable case for a small semi-acoustic bass.

a violin bass in this instance but am actually not at all fussy about it being a designer violin-shape fit as i have a sewing machine so can make padding to fit anything.
so it could be anything you have tried that worked on a small semi-acoustic bass (30" shortscale).

i have looked at designated cases for violins (hofner & thomann beatbass) but i don't like shaped cases. they are annoying to have to think about packing so they don't get wedged among other cases. rectangluar play nice with all other rectuangluar cases (handles allowing) so that is my preference.

i have a standard stagg ABS guitar case & that has lasted me a decade & still going strong. am not flying off on world tours so it's just for backs of cars & vans. am not very muscles strong so ABS appeals. the wood ones seem heavy to me.

anyway, any ideas or recommendationa appreciated. thanks!
hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• valevale Frets: 1052
    ps. sorry for typo in title. obviously uspposed to read 'for a small semi-acoustic ass'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    vale said:
    'for a small semi-acoustic ass'.
    Is this another typoguffical error?
    Be seeing you.
    it was self-referential!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    How about one of the semi-hardshell type? Like this -

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Gator-GL-BASS-Rigid-EPS-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Case/MWN

It puzzles me why these aren’t more popular, since they have most of the advantages of both a hard case and a gig bag.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

edited June 2018
    ICBM said:
    How about one of the semi-hardshell type? Like this -

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Gator-GL-BASS-Rigid-EPS-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Case/MWN

It puzzles me why these aren’t more popular, since they have most of the advantages of both a hard case and a gig bag.
    thanks for the suggestion icbm. i checked the link.

tbh i'm a bit nervous about that for the violin. the tallest bit is the violin-like sticky-out bridge + concave back (9cm or 10cm ish at quick glance). & it doesn't have a centre block, so true hollow body.
    not sure that a semi-solid would survive dropping or something put on top.

am thinking maybe abs synth or keyboard case with required depth. it doesn't even have to be music oriented. just a solid rectangular case inside dimensions approx 116cm x 30cm x 10cm.

will maybe visit talkbass etc to see if anything suggested.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Hiscox would do a custom one.. but £££££!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    You could get a violin bass case and keep it in the large cardboard box it ships in.
    (just trying to help ;) )

Otherwise, perhaps a 12 string acoustic or keyboard case might do the job.
    vale said:

thanks for the suggestion icbm. i checked the link.

tbh i'm a bit nervous about that for the violin. the tallest bit is the violin-like sticky-out bridge + concave back (9cm or 10cm ish at quick glance). & it doesn't have a centre block, so true hollow body.
    not sure that a semi-solid would survive dropping or something put on top
    One of the reasons I’m surprised these cases are not more popular for guitars is because they’re the most common type used by classical musicians... including violinists :).

An actual violin is a lot more fragile - as well as a lot more valuable usually, even at the fairly low end - than a violin bass. OK, most classical musicians probably don’t put their cases in a van full of gear...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    OK, most classical musicians probably don’t put their cases in a van full of gear.
    Nah. They leave them in London black taxis! ;)
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    One word: Hiscox
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    One word: Hiscox
    You're getting boring now ;). (Although I can hardly judge you on that :).)

Yes, if you want a shaped hard case, then a Hiscox is the best. I have one, it's great. But if you want a case for any other purpose, or you specifically don't want a shaped case, then it isn't...

Also, try carrying a Hiscox on public transport along with something else that needs your other hand and you'll soon find that it's a massive pain that outweighs the extra protection it gives - that's why I use a Mono gig bag for that, with a £2K+ instrument.

I'm also fairly sure that Hiscox don't make a Violin Bass model.

ICBM said:
    OK, most classical musicians probably don’t put their cases in a van full of gear.
    Nah. They leave them in London black taxis! ;)
    Or under their chair in Pret-a-Manger, with a £1.2m Stradivarius inside... which then gets nicked.

ICBM said:
    I'm also fairly sure that Hiscox don't make a Violin Bass model.
    Affirmative. 

The options are to have a Violin bass rattle around in their standard STD-EBS "F" sized bass case or to have it rattle around even more in their STD-EPB "large peardrop"

https://www.hiscoxcases.com/our-cases/bass-cases/

The solution is a rectangular case and an afternoon with a craft knife, cutting out foam padding to the outline of the violin bass. 
    Be seeing you.
    edited July 2018
    thanks for your suggestions people. feedback considered, processed & taken onboard.

i think i have come to the conclusion this is one of those blind spots that affordable generic off-the-peg cases don't really cover. so i'm basically out of the goldilocks case zone.

i looked at the bass equivalent to my trusty stagg ABS (damn good guitar cases for £50 actually) and it seems to be too shallow (8cm). which figures as it's made for solids (sounds gross). i need 10cm min (sounds even more gross).

normal semi-acoustic & acoustic bass cases are going to be mega huge & so it would be rattling around in there like a pea in a skip. violins are only a small headstock longer than a regular 6 string guitar & actually thinner bodied than most widthwise. & def a pita on public transport.

i know someone who works in a second hand music shop so maybe i will leave dimensions with them & wait to hear if they anything affordable comes in. & keep an eye on gumbay obvs etc.

thanks all.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    vale said:
    thanks for your suggestions people. feedback considered, processed & taken onboard.

i think i have come to the conclusion this is one of those blind spots that affordable generic off-the-peg cases don't really cover. so i'm basically out of the goldilocks case zone.

i looked at the bass equivalent to my trusty stagg ABS (damn good guitar cases for £50 actually) and it seems to be too shallow (8cm). which figures as it's made for solids (sounds gross). i need 10cm min (sounds even more gross).

normal semi-acoustic & acoustic bass cases are going to be mega huge & so it would be rattling around in there like a pea in a skip. violins are only a small headstock longer than a regular 6 string guitar & actually thinner bodied than most widthwise. & def a pita on public transport.

i know someone who works in a second hand music shop so maybe i will leave dimensions with them & wait to hear if they anything affordable comes in. & keep an eye on gumbay obvs etc.

thanks all.
    Only one conclusion. Get a different bass ;)

Shame you aren’t close to me - you could try the Ibanez semi hollow I have which is a piezo bridge job - it’s a proper good bass and is 90% of that violin bass sound but far more everyday-useable. I love the sound in an acoustic setup - it’s been through one of those posh AER amps and it sounded really rich and thumpy.

One of these

https://www.andertons.co.uk/ibanez-srh500-def-electric-bass-in-dragon-eye-burst-flat-srh500-def?LGWCODE=SRH500DEF;56375;6335&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-HZBRAwEiwAGw0QcX0O9pvIQXABzQMVEMCUHpLFxnX2IApVCIgVnY7sS9SzD8e0K3PkrBoCWh8QAvD_BwE

Honestly - impeccable build, glorious acoustic tone and really really playable with a nice slim neck and 24 frets..
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    Not quite the rectangular case you'd prefer but Thomann do a cheap hardcase for their Harley Benton 'Beat Bass'.