Guitarist looking for a bass

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    JezWynd said:
    After today's bass revelations for me
    Have you finally seen the light and renounced frets?

You're not helping. Desperately trying to tell myself this is a bad idea...

If that’s a bad idea then I’m a talented guitarist. I think fretless basses sound brilliant - my talent says otherwise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    edited July 2018
    vale said:
    you don't even have to learn chords.
    You are SO missing out...  go learn some bass chords, go on.. dare ya.. it's awesome...
    Alternatively, retune your E string down a tone to D. Immediately, your bottom three strings form a power chord that can be held with one finger (or, even, one thumb). 

fretless bass
    Yup. The DADG tuning, one finger, chord trick even works on fretless instruments.
    Be seeing you.
    vale said:
    you don't even have to learn chords.
    You are SO missing out...  go learn some bass chords, go on.. dare ya.. it's awesome...
    Alternatively, retune your E string down a tone to D. Immediately, your bottom three strings form a power chord that can be held with one finger (or, even, one thumb). 

fretless bass
    Yup. The DADG tuning, one finger, chord trick even works on fretless instruments.

But power chords are seldom used in my usual German oompah band setting..
    Root 'n' fifth stuff, huh?

If you adopted a touchboard-style hammer-on/pull-off playing technique for your left hand, it would leave your right arm free for more important activities. 
    Be seeing you.
    Root 'n' fifth stuff, huh?

If you adopted a touchboard-style hammer-on/pull-off playing technique for your left hand, it would leave your right arm free for more important activities. 
    Yes. The right hand is for a 2 litre stein of  Rauchbier and the lifting of a big fat sausage 
    "It looks just like a Telefunken U-47. You'll love it. It's a way of life."

Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bridgehouse said:
    a big fat sausage 
    Is it worth seeing how far this euphemism can be pushed before the Modmins intervene? ;)
    Be seeing you.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I bought a fretted bass because although I liked my fretless it took me about 3 weeks to get back into playing in tune - because I wasn't playing it all the time (first instrument is guitar). If I played it frequently I think I'd have had another fretless but I needed something I could pick up every 2 months and still play it in tune. So it has frets.

Equally importantly, it has 5 strings. That means I can get on the 5th string from frets 5-9 the same notes that on a 4 string bass I would have to go to 4th string frets 0-4 for. So I save myself a position shift and lots of stretching over those long distance frets. Playing in the 5th (or at a pinch the 3rd) position suits me well enough.

My bass is an RBX 375. I put flatwounds on it. :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Equally importantly, it has 5 strings. That means I can get on the 5th string from frets 5-9 the same notes that on a 4 string bass I would have to go to 4th string frets 0-4 for. So I save myself a position shift and lots of stretching over those long distance frets. Playing in the 5th (or at a pinch the 3rd) position suits me well enough.
    The 2019 Reith Lecture will be delivered by Professor Bridgehouse. In this, he will explain why it is morally reprehensible to have more than four strings on a bass guitar.  

#MeFour
    Be seeing you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The 2019 Reith Lecture will be delivered by Professor Bridgehouse. In this, he will explain why it is morally reprehensible to have more than four strings on a bass guitar.  

#MeFour
    “And Moses maketh his way up the Mountain, and behold there he lay prostrate upon the ground and the Lord our God appeareth to him.

”Lo, The Strat shall have three pickups, neck, middle and bridge, and behold, the Telecaster shall but have two. Neck, and bridge. And the bridge shall hath a baseplate of metal. And the Bass shall hath four strings. Not three, nor five or six or seven, For they are the numbers of Satan.”

Thus spake the Lord, and Moses did descend from the mountain and did sayeth unto the people of Israel:

”Go forth! Taketh thy Sandbergs, thy Dingwalls, thy Molloons, and all of those instruments of low frequency that do not possess four strings, and smash them into the earth. For the Lord Our God has declared that the Precision, and The Jazz, they are good, and they are the salt of the earth. And even those backers of Rick, yes even they are acceptable in the eyes of God. But not those of five or more strings.”

And lo, they are cast out as unclean, smashed and destroyed.”
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ”Go forth!”
    Is that what the voices tell you? "Go forth, Gruntfuttock, my child." ;)
    Be seeing you.
    ”Go forth!”
    Is that what the voices tell you? "Go forth, Gruntfuttock, my child." ;)
    Took me bloody ages to post that lot above, and that’s the best you can come up with? 

My name is Angus Bottomfeeler and I’m most displeased.
    My name is Angus.
    Aye. You'll have had your tea.
    Be seeing you.
    My name is Angus.
    Aye. You'll have had your tea.
    Just in case the OP is still reading this and not fallen asleep.. 

Stick to 4 strings... not 5, or 6.. just the 4
    @Bridgehouse @Funkfingers at the risk of sounding irreverent .... my bass is the way it is because that's the way I like it. So nerrrr!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    @Bridgehouse @Funkfingers at the risk of sounding irreverent .... my bass is the way it is because that's the way I like it. So nerrrr!
    Lol. Don't blame us - @ICBM started it...
    I blame Thatcher.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11415
    I blame Thatcher.

This comment does highlight the age profile of this forum!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    "Six strings good, four strings better" to misquote George Orwell
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    "Six strings good, four strings better" to misquote George Orwell
    four strings not enough, for reasons already stated :)