The Wildhearts

What's Hot
LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
Any fans here?

Saw them on Friday in a teeny tiny venue, it was dirty, dripping with sweat, the kind of place where you need a shower after just walking near the building.

Possibly the best gig i've been to all year. Was a perfect place for them. I was right at the barrier infront of Ole' Danny One Leg for a while before heading into a bit more centre stage for the sweaty bouncing.. ;)

Took a couple of songs to warm up, then was just pure energy and fun. When Ginger is having a good day (seems to be a bit more often now he's a bit older..) he really is a great front man.

Still happy :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Big fan, I've seen them many many times, almost always awesome, occasionally a total disaster, never just ok.

I've tried to get Ginger to a show for years, he's just not in to the idea.

Ritch on the other hand was brilliant when he did Music Live (twice) for me, I even managed to get him to reform my favourite Wildhearts off shoot, Grand Theft Audio for ML 2008. The fanbase is so enthusiastic I even had visitors fly in from Japan for the one off gig.

They are the band that keep on giving, albums by the YOYO's, SG5, GW, The Jellys, CJ, GTA, Hey! Hello, Honeycrack etc etc, all brilliant.
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Yep, never just ok :)  

Wifey met Ginger when he was in one of his moods when she was much younger, i think she said that mother in law had a go at him about it, as it was like a meet & greet birthday present or something..

Haven't listened to the Yoyo's in ages.. the album was amazing though :)

tFB Trader
    A mate of mine used to share a house with him when he was a Quireboy (yep that long ago) so I've met him a few times, he was always really nice to me, although his problems seem to have got worse over the years.

I don't need you
    I've got my big shoes and tattoos

the YoYo's at their finest, go listen to it, its still great :)
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    They were awesome in the 90s - 'Earth Vs', 'PHUQ', 'Fishing For Luckies' and 'Endless Nameless' all range from fantastic to very good.

Ever since they reformed back in the early 2000s though it just feels something is missing from Ginger's voice. He doesn't have that snarl or power he used to have.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    I like The Wildhearts very much.  

I follow Ginger on Twitter and he's not a well man.  He worries me greatly with some of the stuff he comes out with...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    edited July 2018
    I distanced myself from them early on, I din't like the sort of people they were. I have no clue what their music is like other than Bucket doing a cool video of a solo once.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    edited July 2018
    I played a gig with the Yoyos once. The change over include vomit mopping
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    RobDavies said:
    I follow Ginger on Twitter and he's not a well man.  He worries me greatly with some of the stuff he comes out with...
    All I know is he likes horror movies.  I used to see him quite often at London cinemas, many years ago he was at the premiere of Braindead with Ray Zell.  Can't remember the last time I saw him though.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Jason said:
    A mate of mine used to share a house with him when he was a Quireboy (yep that long ago) so I've met him a few times, he was always really nice to me, although his problems seem to have got worse over the years.

I don't need you

I consider Uppers & Downers to be one of the best debuts of all time. I ended up teching and tour managing the second incarnation of the Yo-Yo’s, it wasn’t the same without Neil and Blads but on a good night they were still dynamite. Then Danny slipped again and it all imploded messily one night at Southampton Joiners. Still great friends with them though and that album was the soundtrack to my late teens. Cracking! 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • westwest Frets: 994
    Really not my thing , but a fellow bandmate/co-writer produced one of their albums and provided the album cover photo which is adorned with him shiting in a pitta bread .....

Rich battersby is a nice chap, i knew him in the radio moscow days he is a solid drummer and his name is very apt .....
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290

This thread reminded me I have a copy of Earth vs.

The singer in my first band was a big Quireboys then Wildhearts fan. He told me to buy it years ago, but I never really got into it at the time.

What a cracking album! Forgot how good it was.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Jason said:

I don't need you

I consider Uppers & Downers to be one of the best debuts of all time. I ended up teching and tour managing the second incarnation of the Yo-Yo’s, it wasn’t the same without Neil and Blads but on a good night they were still dynamite. Then Danny slipped again and it all imploded messily one night at Southampton Joiners. Still great friends with them though and that album was the soundtrack to my late teens. Cracking! 
    @miserneil ; was that when Any Given Day had to jump in? I knew Simon the bass player through his brother that was managing them, a total disaster I seem to remember
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Jason said:
    miserneil said:
    Jason said:

I don't need you

@miserneil ; was that when Any Given Day had to jump in? I knew Simon the bass player through his brother that was managing them, a total disaster I seem to remember
    Yes, Danny lasted 1 and a 1/4 gigs into that tour...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    CHRISB50 said:

The singer in my first band was a big Quireboys then Wildhearts fan. He told me to buy it years ago, but I never really got into it at the time.

It's a great album, one of those I played over and over again when it first came out.  And I'm not generally an over-and-over-again person.

I was sceptical at first, because I couldn't stand the Quireboys.  But it really is very good.  Trouble was, none of their subsequent stuff matched up, for me anyway.

tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Jason said:
    miserneil said:
    Jason said:

I don't need you

Yes, Danny lasted 1 and a 1/4 gigs into that tour...

Lets hope he has finally kicked his problems, losing my leg might give me a wake up call. Talented chap when clean
    Philly_Q said:
    CHRISB50 said:

It's a great album, one of those I played over and over again when it first came out.  And I'm not generally an over-and-over-again person.

I was sceptical at first, because I couldn't stand the Quireboys.  But it really is very good.  Trouble was, none of their subsequent stuff matched up, for me anyway.

It is a great album. Back on my regular playlist.

Having listened to Earth vs. The Wildhearts all morning I decided to go back and listen the Dogs D'Amour, who the singer I mentioned earlier was also into. Jesus. I wish I hadn't!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

CHRISB50 said:
    Having listened to Earth vs. The Wildhearts all morning I decided to go back and listen the Dogs D'Amour, who the singer I mentioned earlier was also into. Jesus. I wish I hadn't!

Shite, weren't they.  I've never liked those Stones/Faces wannabe, rock 'n' roll rather than rock bands. 

Even Hanoi Rocks were overrated, although I'm prepared to concede that may be a minority opinion...

Philly_Q said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Shite, weren't they.  I've never liked those Stones/Faces wannabe, rock 'n' roll rather than rock bands. 

Even Hanoi Rocks were overrated, although I'm prepared to concede that may be a minority opinion...

Yes. Yes, they were shite. It all sounds very contrived.

They were responsible for me buying a crochet jumper back in the day. The wankers. I looked a right twat.

My first band were actually called The Bullet Proof Poets (named after their song Ballad of the Bullet Proof Poet). A great deal of our set consisted of Dog's covers (I think I still have my Errol Flynn tab book somewhere). As I said, the singer was a BIG fan. The band didn't last long, but I am still mates with the singer.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Philly_Q said:
    CHRISB50 said:

I liked a few Hanoi songs, Michael Monroe was/is an odd one though.. Mind you his last few solo albums have been great, they even made me want to go see him, so i did, and he was really good :)