Hosepipe ban

What's Hot

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    Rocker said:
    Is there a machine or a tool/gadget to locate a leak in a water main pipe?
    I vaguely recall something from school about a radioisotope with a short half life and a Geiger counter
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Getting back to the hosepipe ban topic, my view is that we live on a fairly rainy island, surrounded by water 24/7/365 which could be turned into drinking water using solar or wind power and there need never be a shortage. 
    The water companies will, however, not invest sufficiently to ensure that we never run out and would rather use the free stuff which falls out of the sky and keeps us supplied most of the time.
    The water companies, through lack of investment in infrastucture, lose more than the consumer consumes each year.
    Thus, if I want to hose the flowerbeds - a not insignificant investment  -  or powerwash the car to get the worst of the dirt off the car, I shall do so without feeling any guilt.
    I am sick of being told that water is a limited resource.  Do we not live on a planet where the surface is 60%+ covered in the stuff.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    rlw said:
    Getting back to the hosepipe ban topic, my view is that we live on a fairly rainy island, surrounded by water 24/7/365 which could be turned into drinking water using solar or wind power and there need never be a shortage. 
    The water companies will, however, not invest sufficiently to ensure that we never run out and would rather use the free stuff which falls out of the sky and keeps us supplied most of the time.
    The water companies, through lack of investment in infrastucture, lose more than the consumer consumes each year.
    Thus, if I want to hose the flowerbeds - a not insignificant investment  -  or powerwash the car to get the worst of the dirt off the car, I shall do so without feeling any guilt.
    I am sick of being told that water is a limited resource.  Do we not live on a planet where the surface is 60%+ covered in the stuff.
    71% actually - and 97% of the total amount of water on Earth - but try drinking it and see how long you last...

*Fresh* water is less than 1% of the total - a much more limited resource, and relatively easy to outstrip supply, even somewhere like England where it rains quite a lot.

That said, the billions in profits that the private water companies have made while failing to deliver the service they're supposed to is a disgrace. Typical of privatisation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    What if the clouds stopped working
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Fretwired said:
    Over the past week, seven square miles of land between Tameside and Oldham have been ablaze, blanketing the area in smoke and ash. About 160 firefighters have been battling the inferno, aided by 100 soldiers from the Royal Regiment of Scotland. The moors, and their wildlife, have been destroyed and thousands of people have had a week of breathing highly polluted air.

The alleged culprits, however, have not been questioned. Greater Manchester police said the investigation was led by the fire service. Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said no investigation would start until the fire was out.

Wow - if true certainly worthy of investigation.

I'm not a fan or the aristocracy and their daft sports, but its hardly better to burn wildlife alive than shoot it.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Rocker said:
    Drop in water pressure is the big giveaway but they use 'listening sticks' to pinpoint the actual leak.  Then again, water spewing all over the road is another reasonable detection method. Doing something about it is another issue completely.

Leakage has dropped 1/3rd since the peak, mid-90's I think, and they only have to achieve a 'sustainable economic level' according to Offwat, otherwise they get penalised. And they do get penalised.

Lot's of leakage is supply side i.e. homeowner responsibility to fix. but most companies will do you a favour and fix the first leak for you.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    edited July 2018
    Entitled this, selfish prick that...

You’re everything that’s wrong with this forum. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    DesVegas said:
    back up to USB?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Something tells me this thread is going to head south quickly...

Shame the water doesn't eh?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    On BBC News - helicopter spots another two twats lighting fires .... unbelievable.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ICBM said:
    rlw said:
    71% actually - and 97% of the total amount of water on Earth - but try drinking it and see how long you last...

*Fresh* water is less than 1% of the total - a much more limited resource, and relatively easy to outstrip supply, even somewhere like England where it rains quite a lot.

That said, the billions in profits that the private water companies have made while failing to deliver the service they're supposed to is a disgrace. Typical of privatisation.
    Easy to turn seawater into drinking water but we don't need to.

The UK needs more water storage facilities. Water collected in the Midlands and the north, which is wetter, could be pumped into canals and rivers and syphoned off and stored in the south. This solution was proposed after the 1976 heatwave before Thatcher privatised the industry. Wales has more water than it needs. Water could become the new oil if they could find a way of selling it to the English .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 921
    With net migration of 240,000 last year and England needing 300,000 new homes a year, this situation isn't going to improve anytime soon.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    DesVegas said:
    Maybe you should stop shouting at them?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    blobb said:
    Chalky said:
     Some connection to the water industry maybe? 
    Yes, I worked for Severn Trent and Thames water. I now work for a Tier one contract partner so I am heavily involved with the capital investment programme. I've seen this from the inside, for over 20 yrs. When their sewage works go tit's up it's me they call - how about you?

Don't get me wrong, my daily grind involves bashing my head against the wall with stupid investment decisions. I berate the businessman ethic all the time and as @Fretwired points out, the unsustainable debt situation must come to a head at some point, but there has been major improvements from the local authority days since privatisation.

My gripe is with idiotic contract designers who follow audit trail design procedures. The guys that run the works do a great job, if they didn't you would soon know about it.

To answer your question:
    How about a simple question. As a percentage of average total water consumption, domestic and industrial, how much does a hosepipe ban typically save?
    Severn Trent estimates that 66% of unmetered households own an outside tap and use it for 0.89 times/day. On average they use 47l/household.day. This is normal consumption budgeted into their water resource plan, in hot dry weather this increases significantly. Hosepipe bans (more correctly, Temporary Use Bans or Non Essential Use Bans) are triggered when resources fall into 'Zone E' on the drought trigger zone of a particular reservoir (graded A-F, F being the worst)

If you want more information, and I'm pleased that people are taking an interest in the subject, here's some more information.

https://www.severntrent.com/content/dam/stw/ST_Corporate/About_us/Docs/AppendixB-What-is-the-likely-demand-for-water.pdf

https://www.severntrent.com/about-us/future-plans/water-resource-management/final-wrmp-documents/

Other water Co's are available.

Are you available for dinner parties??
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    There's a sniffer dog that they use. And when I say a sniffer dog, I mean just one. In the whole country.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/11/britains-first-water-sniffing-dog-hired-pinpoint-leaks-broken/

So as you can see, there is genuine investment by these water companies and it's not like they are taking the money and laughing at us. Definitely not.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    If I'm ever in a position to move to the country I'd be very tempted to go off grid with a well, solar panels/Tesla battery combo and either ground pump heating or a warmed/cooled air solution.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Hattigol said:
    Rocker said:
    There's a sniffer dog that they use. And when I say a sniffer dog, I mean just one. In the whole country.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/11/britains-first-water-sniffing-dog-hired-pinpoint-leaks-broken/

So as you can see, there is genuine investment by these water companies and it's not like they are taking the money and laughing at us. Definitely not.
    So the area around the Winalot factory is leak free???
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:j
    Hattigol said:
    Rocker said:

So the area around the Winalot factory is leak free???
    Yes, so a Chum of mine tells me and he is normally a reliable lead.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902

Another gem from 1976:  we had a Minister for Drought (Denis Howell if I remember aright).  His main contribution was the tasteful rhyme, concerning not flushing the loo, to save water:

"If it's yellow, let it mellow!
    If it's brown, flush it down!"

Can you see any of today's lot bettering that? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Hose pipe ban in all areas of ROI starting tomorrow. Makes sense really as households, hospitals, farm animals and industry needs water. No point in wasting a precious resource in during a very hot spell...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum