Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Finally got around to saving all of the guitar amps into a Reaper (DAW) Project template file.  

With thanks to this useful site, for all the model names they are based on.  https://helixhelp.com/models/amps/guitar/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    Well I've jumped on the bandwagon and have an LT incoming soon. I'm sure it's covered elsewhere but where do you guys recommend going for aftermarket IRs / presets / models etc? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited June 2018
    Well I've jumped on the bandwagon and have an LT incoming soon. I'm sure it's covered elsewhere but where do you guys recommend going for aftermarket IRs / presets / models etc? 
    Aftermarket IR's Ownhammer, Celestion, Redwirez (none are essential, the stock cabs are great)
    Presets, Download Paul Hindmarsh's from the L6 web site, dont bother buying any unless they are just for inspiration.  Just create your own using bits of gear you know well, and then try out the bits you dont know so well in due course, dont rush things
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Don' bother with IR.  Stock cabs in dual path using 1 dynamic and 1 ribbon mic model and a hi cut on both. Sounds fab.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited June 2018
    I go Ownhammer for the selection. Plus I use them cross platform (plugins, Axe FX) so no need to learn new IRs/cab sims with every piece of gear
    Don' bother with IR.  Stock cabs in dual path using 1 dynamic and 1 ribbon mic model and a hi cut on both. Sounds fab.
    Sounds good @Teetonetal ;

Have you got any you have uploaded to Line  Custom Tone?  Would be good to see how you create these & what settings you use.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    duotone said:

Have you got any you have uploaded to Line  Custom Tone?  Would be good to see how you create these & what settings you use.
    My username is Fukuri in custom tone
    my main stereo patch is up ther
    Cabicular said:
    duotone said:

My username is Fukuri in custom tone
    my main stereo patch is up ther
    Cheers @Cabicular ;

Just downloaded the "Stereo Metal" patch
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    My dodgy back is giving me so much gyp that I'm really struggling with a big flightcased board based around an ES-8. I have a loan Helix LT on the way, just to see how it suits me. I know for a fact it will do pretty much everything I need it to do in terms of sounds but I'll only have a short time with it before a gig. I'd like experienced users' thoughts on the following:

Current set up:
    Guitar > Graphic > Wah > Comp > Low gain "breakup" > Med gain "crunch" > Fuzz > Mid boost > clean amp
    Amp FX loop: mods > delays  > amp reverb
    Speaker out: passive speaker sim with XLR to the desk and to the 2x12 cab
    With this set up I get a comfortable stage volume and then adjust FoH guitar sound. However, this also means I can't tweak the volume on the amp without messing up the levels for FoH.

My intention with the Helix is to just recreate the pedalboard into a clean amp sim and go into the FX return because  I haven't got time initially to mess around with amp sims. I quite fancy splitting the signal and route one sound into the FX return on the amp and then another with a cab sim into the desk. One advantage will be that I should be able to use a volume control somewhere on the Helix to adjust stage volume without messing up the FoH sound.

Please can I have thoughts on the process? How would I adjust volume on the fly if I need to?

My dodgy back is giving me so much gyp that I'm really struggling with a big flightcased board based around an ES-8. I have a loan Helix LT on the way, just to see how it suits me. I know for a fact it will do pretty much everything I need it to do in terms of sounds but I'll only have a short time with it before a gig. I'd like experienced users' thoughts on the following:

Current set up:
    Guitar > Graphic > Wah > Comp > Low gain "breakup" > Med gain "crunch" > Fuzz > Mid boost > clean amp
    Amp FX loop: mods > delays  > amp reverb
    Speaker out: passive speaker sim with XLR to the desk and to the 2x12 cab
    With this set up I get a comfortable stage volume and then adjust FoH guitar sound. However, this also means I can't tweak the volume on the amp without messing up the levels for FoH.

My intention with the Helix is to just recreate the pedalboard into a clean amp sim and go into the FX return because  I haven't got time initially to mess around with amp sims. I quite fancy splitting the signal and route one sound into the FX return on the amp and then another with a cab sim into the desk. One advantage will be that I should be able to use a volume control somewhere on the Helix to adjust stage volume without messing up the FoH sound.

Please can I have thoughts on the process? How would I adjust volume on the fly if I need to?

Just split the path before the cab sims and route via the 1/4 outputs
    set the volume knob to only affect the 1/4 outputs
    ill upload a preset with that routing if you need
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Cabicular said:

Just split the path before the cab sims and route via the 1/4 outputs
    set the volume knob to only affect the 1/4 outputs
    ill upload a preset with that routing if you need
    I knew it would be easy!

Follow up questions

1) What's the closest pedal to a Mk1 Marshall Guv'nor? I'm guessing an OCD or a DS1
    2) Are there any "feedbacker" type effects. The mid-boost in my chain is a Boss FB-2 which also has a feature that when pressed and held, generates feedback so you can get it at low volumes.
    3) I'm assuming that the expression pedal is configurable as wah/volume depending on toe click?
    1 or just use the BE100 amp or the soldano
    2 there are tone generators which could be tweaked to do something similar via one of the footswitches set to momentary
    3 yes at the top of travel there is a toe switch that switches it to wah
    you could do other funky thinks though like enable the wah via a footswitch or have the wah auto engage based on position
    plus you can add anothe exp easily 
  • New update is out guys 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Oooooh single button looper. Nice addition. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Helix/HX Firmware 2.60 “The Spring Cleaning Update”

New Amp Models (2—Helix, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT only)
    • Cali Texas Ch1, based on* the clean channel of the MESA/Boogie® Lonestar
    • Placater Clean, based on* the clean channel of the Friedman BE-100
    New Effects Models (4)
    • Distortion > Deranged Master (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster—WARNING! Like the real thing, this model can take your head off! Works best before a distorted amp
    • Distortion > Deez One Vintage (Mono, Stereo), based on* the BOSS© DS-1 distortion pedal (classic Made-in-Japan version)
    • Distortion > Deez One Mod (Mono, Stereo), based on* the BOSS© DS-1 distortion pedal (Keeley mod version)
    • Looper > 1 Switch Looper (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 original (doesn't leave Stomp mode)
    * All product names are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Line 6.

Using the 1 Switch Looper:
    1. Add a Looper > 1 Switch Looper block to your preset and assign it to a stomp footswitch. (Adding a 1 Switch Looper to HX Effects from Stomp view automatically assigns it to the selected footswitch.)
    2. Press the 1 Switch Looper switch. The LED lights red, indicating the loop is recording.
    3. Press the 1 Switch Looper switch again.The LED lights green, indicating the loop is playing back.
    4. Press the 1 Switch Looper switch again.The LED lights amber, indicating the loop is in overdub mode. Subsequent presses of the switch toggle between play and overdub mode.
    5. While the 1 Switch Looper is in play or overdub mode, press and hold the switch for 1 second. The most recent recording is undone. Holding the switch again will redo the recording. On Helix, Helix Rack/Control, and HX Effects, “UNDO” or “REDO” briefly appears on the scribble strip. On Helix LT, “UNDO” or “REDO” briefly appears in Performance view.
    6. Quickly double-press the 1 Switch Looper switch. Playback/recording stops and the LED lights white, indicating a loop is in memory.
    7. While Looper playback/recording is stopped, press and hold the switch. The recording is deleted and the LED lights dim white.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    Ah man, that's superb - I was missing the DS-1 in the early releases when I had my Helix still, and the 1-swtich looper should be fantastic.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I'm liking the Lonestar and the rangemaster. 

Found the Friedman clean quite flubby and lifeless though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I know it’s probably buried in this huge thread somewhere....but are there any videos you can recommend that show how to set up various options/paths etc?

Not so much a "here’s how to create this tone video" but more a "this is what the unit can do" if you set paths etc. up a certain way?
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    duotone said:
    I know it’s probably buried in this huge thread somewhere....but are there any videos you can recommend that show how to set up various options/paths etc?

Not so much a "here’s how to create this tone video" but more a "this is what the unit can do" if you set paths etc. up a certain way?
    Here you go

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    duotone said:

Check out the official Line 6 channel. Sean Halley has some stuff on there. Also he did a cool video on his own channel using 4 cable method. Plenty of stuff out there. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.