Guitarist looking for a bass

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Phil_aka_Pip said:
    for reasons already stated :)
    I wholly understand.

5 strings ... means I can get on the 5th string from frets 5-9 the same notes that on a 4 string bass I would have to go to 4th string frets 0-4 for. So I save myself a position shift and lots of stretching over those long distance frets. Playing in the 5th (or at a pinch the 3rd) position suits me well enough.
    This is precisely my reason for preferring four strings. When bass lines can played almost entirely *in position*, to me, they lack shape. After a while, they all seem the same and I become bored. 

You wouldn't like me when I'm bored. I end up exchanging silly posts with equally silly people. ;)
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Hang on, those frets above the 5th are for playing on??
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I picked up a Squier Jazz for £100. End thread. Expect thread on topic of how to play this odd four stringed guitar. 
    rico said:
    I picked up a Squier Jazz for £100. End thread. Expect thread on topic of how to play this odd four stringed guitar. 
    Result! Good man. Now, get that next thread started. You’ll need a “what strings, and round or flat?” then a “fingers or pick?” And finally a “slap:what is it good for:absolutely nothing” threads...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rico said:
    thread on topic
    Three little words that rule out me and Bridgehouse. :-p
    Be seeing you.
    rico said:
    thread on topic
    Three little words that rule out me and Bridgehouse. :-p
    Oi! My reply was on topic (for a change!) 

This is the Bass subforum therefore my default position is on topic. Elsewhere, I guarantee nothing..
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Hang on, those frets above the 5th are for playing on??
    No; they're a ladder to the stars.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    And the Lord spake, saying, "Four shall be the number of the bass, and the number of the bass shall be four, no more, no less. Five shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, nor three excepting that thou then proceed to four. Six makes you look like a right prat."

Although, while my bass does have four strings, I can't remember the last time I used the thin one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    And the Lord spake, saying, "Four shall be the number of the bass, and the number of the bass shall be four, no more, no less. Five shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, nor three excepting that thou then proceed to four. Six makes you look like a right prat."

Although, while my bass does have four strings, I can't remember the last time I used the thin one...
    I use the thin one quite a bit. I even fed up to using frets above 12... 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    edited July 2018
    ICBM said:

I very rarely use the thin one.  Could easily live without.  I have wondered about BEAD tuning to get the low B without having to go 5 string.  I've also wondered about DGCF tuning to be able to get that low D.
    crunchman said:
    I have wondered about BEAD tuning to get the low B without having to go 5 string.  I've also wondered about DGCF tuning to be able to get that low D.
    A notorious character on the Seymour Duncan User Group forum routinely tunes to C#-F#-B-E. I cannot remember whether he also has a Hipshot D-Tuner to drop the bottom string to get the occasional B.
    Be seeing you.
    A drop tuner is a good call - the hipshot two stage one that does D & C (and can be adjusted for in-between values) is good..
    A drop tuner is a good call - the hipshot two stage one that does D & C (and can be adjusted for in-between values) is good..

How easy is that to install?  It's that low D that would be useful to be able to get to.
    crunchman said:

How easy is that to install?  It's that low D that would be useful to be able to get to.
    Very - you pick the right one depending on your tuner type and then there's no new holes at all - it's a base plate with a top piece. 

It takes longer to set it up and get the set screws adjusted for the right tuning than it does to install the plate. Once set up it stays like it for quite a while. It needs minor tweaks now and again, and you do end up fiddling with the setscrew a bit when tuning but to be honest for the convenience of having two drops which you can actually do mid song it's definitely worth the extra few seconds tuning hassle.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    why not just get a proper 5-string and have done with it?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Possibly because, on July 3rd, this happened ...
    rico said:
    I picked up a Squier Jazz for £100. End thread. 

In my opinion, this demonstrates the need for introducing thread starter editing tools. Pose your question. Get your answer(s). Close the thread. Only modmins have the powers to override the closure.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    The thin string! I thought it is for resting my ring finger and pinky on. Are you guys suggesting you can actually play it?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    See above :). Because proper basses only have four strings.

I’ve thought about tuning BEAD as well, but that would involve learning new finger positions and would just confuse me - it’s hard enough to remember what I’m doing anyway, that’s why I play bass! Worse than that, it would involve *changing the strings*...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    I bought a Tanglewood Rebel 4k at least ten years ago for next to nothing as the shop was closing down. Granted I only play it occasionally, but I've never changed the strings despite having a spare for nearly as long as I've had the bass :)
    ICBM said:
    See above :). Because proper basses only have four strings.

I’ve thought about tuning BEAD as well, but that would involve learning new finger positions and would just confuse me - it’s hard enough to remember what I’m doing anyway, that’s why I play bass! Worse than that, it would involve *changing the strings*...

Worse still, it would most likely involve widening out the nut slots so it wouldn't be easily reversible.

As for the 5 string question, I struggle reaching things on a 4 string with my short stubby fingers.  A wider neck would probably be even worse.