Best Pedal Platform Amp Head for Between £700-£1000 (Used)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Firstly i will say...Matamp!

secondly I will say, its so dependent on what kind of pedals and what kind of music. When i say dependent on what kind of pedals, im mainly referring to whether you're going to use overdrive/distortion or fuzz.

if i was going by my own experience, the best pedal platforms i've had are the Matamp GT1, and the ToeTags Tweed Deluxe clone...the tweed is only 18w, so maybe not relevant to you...but no other big amp has come close to the Matamp. 

I've also had a 70's Marshall Superbass which was great as well, but Matamp is better...i've also had a marshall JTM45, which was great with overdrive and distortion, but not so good with fuzz...again matamp was better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2355
    Blackface Fenders, while they have great cleans and take pedals well, aren't really suitable as a clean base for metal tones, bass is far too loose.

A Marshall would be much more suitable, or indeed a Hiwatt.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited July 2018
    The most definitive test you'll get for a head with pedals is to scrutinise Brett Kingman's channel as 80% of his (until recently) pedal demos were through his Laney L50H

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The most definitive test you'll get for a head with pedals is to scrutinise Brett Kingman's channel as 80% of his (until recently) pedal demos were through his Laney L50H

And you can get one here, well within budget, and with an awesome matching cab included in the price - http://www.peachguitars.com/guitar-amps/used-amps/laney-l50-head-and-4x12-cab-used.htm

Tempted myself...

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    As per @StefB and @57Deluxe ;

i use my Laney Lionheart 4x10 combo at home and it’s perfect
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    If you're trying out a Mini Jubilee I'd try an Origin as well if you can, I didn't find my Jubilee was as good a pedal platform, the Origin takes drives better than the jub clean channel.
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions everyone - After much back and forth, umming and ahhing and to-ing and fro-ing, I've finally gone back around on myself and opted for a Suhr Badger - I'm picking it up next week :)
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Matamp 1224 or GTO or GTL. Loudest amps in the world.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackstar-Artisan-100-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-Freshly-Serviced-100W-LOUD/323119445468?hash=item4b3b6b75dc:g:GtAAAOSwgiRZw~d6

Don't know if IC has ever tried (condemned? ) one but even if you are a died-in-the-wool Bstar hater they are worth a play because they are unlike any of the other range of amps. Completely valved signal path (sstate bridge rect) and the only 'B' amp you could pull two 34s on.

They do go very loud but are very controllable (no shit or bust pots) and pretty much indestructible.

Dave.

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    Dual Showman head is great if you like your fender cleans and volume/headroom for days.