The Fretboard Cover Challenge #1

What's Hot
flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
edited July 2018 in Making Music
@Roland has kindly given the go ahead for the first ever Fretboard COVER CHALLENGE run by @flying_pie and @poopot

The rules are simple - there are no rules*.

We all start with the same song suggestion and record our own cover version. It's up to your imagination as to what you do with it. It could be faithful to the original or as out there as you wish. 

The idea is to share creativity and see how we end up with differing results from the exact same start point. Feel free to change key if needed for vocals. Feel free to go instrumental/spoken word/rap if singing isn't your thing. Feel free to share ideas in this thread or keep your hand close to your chest. Just have fun with it. 

The first song to be covered is....

Drum roll...

Exciting isn't it?...

I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW by Tiffany 

Yes. That's what has been chosen. Now get those creative juices flowing and see what you can come up with. 

RULES:

Entries to be sent in mp3 format to the following Email address:

covers@thefretboard.co.uk

You may wish to submit artwork to go with your entry. It brightens up the playlist and might get you more votes but it's not mandatory. 

Entries close at 11.30pm on Friday 31st August. Only one entry per participant. 

A playlist of all the entries will be posted in the Voting Thread and you will have approximately two weeks to vote. Vote for your top 3 with 5 points awarded  for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place. Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for their own entry. 

Unlike other challenges in the Cover Challenge the winner wins a prize - they will get to choose the track to be covered for the next challenge. Please have ideas ready in advance as you will only have approximately 48hrs to Email your suggestion or The Management will decide for you. 

Good luck. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9684
    Interesting.

You say we can change the key... Can we also change the tune, chords and lyrics?! Haha just kidding will have a go
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Lol @thecolourbox ; I'd suggest you don't go as far as changing the lyrics, chords and melody but you could probably get away with changing two out of the three if you really wanted. 

FWIW I went with that particular song suggestion for two reasons:

1. I picked a random playlist on Spotify and that was the first decent track

2. There's very little guitar in the original but the chord structure is simple and is ripe for messing around with. There isn't a standout guitar part to start with so you can do what you want. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Truely didn’t see that coming.

brilliant!... :)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9684
    Absolutely @flying_pie it's a good choice, I think I know what I'd like to do with it.

Which of course means it'll end up the complete opposite
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    I only have one problem with this ... the song is already a cover of Tommy James and the Shondells ...  But should be a giggle either way :-)

wonder if if I can recreate the album cover too ... now, where are my pop socks ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Not wanting to throw cold water on this isn't it illegal? I didn't think we could do something like this.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    If covering songs is illegal better take down all of soundcloud.
    its not making money so no royalties to worry about, the original artist is credited, I do t really see an issue.
    edited July 2018
    Ok, I’ve checked ... it’s a bit of a grey area for recordings only that are not being monetised (youtube and video is different due to the inherent monetisation)
    There are unlikely to be any issues, technically the permission of the copyright owner should be sought. In most cases it will not be an issue, some artists may objec and request the tracks withdrawn.

i suggest we simply avoid litigious houses for now, so no Hendrix, Prince, Marley or Gaye.

i suspect Tommy James won’t mind.
    edited July 2018
    I hadn't realised that was a cover already @Bezzer (hangs head in shame) 

I think we'll be okay as you say with regards to the copyright. With all the jam sessions recordings already on the Fretboard soundcloud page it would appear record company execs don't seem to listen in.

If all else fails the playlist could probably be made private so that it can only be listened to via the link.
    Ok... had a play around with this... I have the seed of an idea...

in totally unrelated news, anyone know where I can get a full gospel choir? :)
    poopot said:
    Ok... had a play around with this... I have the seed of an idea...

in totally unrelated news, anyone know where I can get a full gospel choir? :)
    Sounds good. I recorded some guitar ideas for it last night and think I'm somewhere in late 90s US college rock/Foo Fighters territory.

In totally unrelated news I'm trying to get a choir effect for the Christmas song I'm currently writing (by law all Christmas songs must be recorded in July and preferably on the hottest day of the year).

So far I've recorded harmony parts with shed loads of cathedral reverb, more wet than dry,  and it sounds okay. Probably not the type of choir your after as this is in the style of Ghost rather than gospel but you never know 
    edited July 2018
     I've got an idea for this too ... mwah ha ha ha ... but it'll have to wait for a while, but I think it could work "nicely"
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    I might try this - nice idea.
    I haz intro ;)
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Any hints on how to go from iPhone voice recorder to mp3?
    sev112 said:
    Any hints on how to go from iPhone voice recorder to mp3?
    Mail the recording to yourself then convert it with iTunes?
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Ok, will give that a try, ta
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    edited July 2018
    EDIT
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Bezzer said:
     I've got an idea for this too ... mwah ha ha ha ... but it'll have to wait for a while, but I think it could work "nicely"

I'll look forward to that. The lyrics could be delivered in a way that makes them very dark, even without transposition to a minor key.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I can't think past this gem of a cover from 1989 - great album too

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom