NAD - Laney goodness

What's Hot
nick79nick79 Frets: 252
edited July 2018 in Amps
I've been after one of these since they got announced earlier this year, and not wanting to miss out i've just made it happen. 
Black Country Customs (Laney) LA30BL. Basically a 30w version of the Supergroup from the late 60's, and pretty much the same amp Tony Iommi used in the early Black Sabbath days (which is mostly why i wanted it..) except it's 30w as opposed to 100w. Which i still think might be too loud but at least i stand more of a chance lol. 

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1770/41366082570_9c8e49698e_z.jpg

Not really had much chance to play with it yet but its loud, bold, punchy and takes pedals really really. 
0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Congratulations  that thing looks classy! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    Nice. I’m generally underwhelmed by NADs but I’ll make an exception for that! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Cheers guys, i'm really impressed with it. Its very loud (can just get the gain knob on 1 for 'reasonable' home levels) I did very briefly turn it up and nearly kill the poor hamster who was watching proceedings. Huge bottom end, and so dynamic to play. I've never had an amp quite like this before so it's a very different experience.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    Now that is properly classy!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    I had my eye on these too. I'm guessing a cleanish British midrange base tone, which will take all kinds of dirt pedals well?
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2321
    Nice!
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Do Laney's generally have more bottom than Marshalls?
    edited July 2018
    Babones said:
    I had my eye on these too. I'm guessing a cleanish British midrange base tone, which will take all kinds of dirt pedals well?
    Yeah pretty much except it just sounds huge throughout the bass/mids/treble.  Not had chance to turn it up properly yet but it doesnt have a lot of gain even wound up to 10 as far as i can tell from chatting to others that have one. I can get the gain to 1 just about (through a loud 4x12 cab) at home before it becomes a bit much. Even that low though it sounds really really good, and a quick try with some pedals was very encouraging - I can see a Helix HX in my future now...

Lastly it's definitely got that huge low end thump that i was missing from my Mini Rec, Iommi ran his (admittedly 100w) with everything on 10 apart from bass on 0, i can kind of see why now!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72206
    edited July 2018
    The Supergroup is essentially a Super Bass copy circuit-wise, but they do sound different from Marshalls - thicker low-end which can be a bit muddy, punchy mids, and a gritty rather than buzzy top-end. More of a 'lo-fi' sound in some ways, and exactly like you would expect from the early Sabbath records, although Iommi used a treble booster as well. They're also if anything slightly louder (ie really very loud), they ran at higher voltages than the equivalent Marshalls and can be hard on valves.

At least, that's what the originals are like - I'm not sure if the 30W one will be, but I assume fairly similar. (And less hard on valves, since it won't need to run with voltages that high.) It looks a really nice amp, it's clearly well made - probably better than the originals, which are a bit rough!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It does appear to be very well made, hand built, turret board, etc etc. At some point i'll take a look at the innards just out of curiosity. I've already got the Ti Boost pedal so hopefully i'm set. Will find out tonight just how loud it is, i've a strong feeling i'll be posting on here about attenuater advice haha.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    It looks incredible 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31463
    That looks like a solid bit of kit! 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1595
    I love it, great buy.

I honestly think Laney are hugely underrated amps. I don’t know why?
    Cheers guys. Took it to practise tonight, its loud - very loud. Starts breaking up at about 4 on the gain control, which at that point is probably just past where i would be gigging it. Thats going through a 4x12 with very efficient speakers though, i think a 2x12 with less efficient speakers and it would be more manageable. At 5 it is properly starting to break up and after that it doesnt really get any louder, just breaks up more. 

I did briefly turn it up to 10 and it was just a huge huge sound - Not a whole lot of  gain on its own but hit it with the TI boost and its pure early Sabbath. Its got an awesome kind of lower octave thing going, i've never heard anything like it. 

So yeah i love it. But i need an attenuater (ideally one with a load box feature too so i can use it at home into the pc) and i'll look into the possibility of either changing speakers or change cab entirely. 

Any suggestions gratefully received!
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    Nice Amp and I'm loving the 70's stylisation of the EQ Knobs, it reminds me of some natty 70's stereo system. I didn't know about these but it looks to be a great gigging amp.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    Wow, that is nice. Cant wait to hear it in action
    Cheers mate you will, September i think? 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Lovely looking amp
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    Very nice. I've been looking at a Laney 20w or 15w cub head, which are most likely miles away from this, but do Laney not get the love they deserve?
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Looks amazing....me like!