Best bass for metalcore

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    LSMF uses a Sansamp to get his dirt, by turning the gain on the amp down. With certain cabs it sounds pretty good actually.
    Yeah it’s a good sound. Just from experience if you feed it with a lot of sub low end and try and distort it then it can get a bit loose sounding. The Stingray bass control is centred at 40hz IIRC, so low.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    LSMF uses a Sansamp to get his dirt, by turning the gain on the amp down. With certain cabs it sounds pretty good actually.
    Yeah it’s a good sound. Just from experience if you feed it with a lot of sub low end and try and distort it then it can get a bit loose sounding. The Stingray bass control is centred at 40hz IIRC, so low.
    I don't add that much bass from the amp, and its important to keep the drive pretty low otherwise it does sound fuzzy.
    I don't add that much bass from the amp, and its important to keep the drive pretty low otherwise it does sound fuzzy.

The issue is the Sansamp will get fuzzy/loose sounding if you increase the bass before the sansamp, e.g. from the Stingray Preamp, or by just having a very subby sounding bass in a low tuning (e.g. Jazz bass in B or lower with both pickups on).

When I use my Jazz bass I use a high pass filter (micro thumpinator) to keep the subs under control to make the RBI I have behave more at higher gain settings.

Typically a P bass does better with a Sansamp BDDI/RBI in lower tunings because it has less sub to begin with.  A jazz with both pickups on has the most natural sub out of those 3 instruments, but increasing bass on the stingray makes that the most sub heavy.  If you leave the bass flat on the Stingray it should do ok.  

Bass at the amp is just to taste and won't affect how the Sansamp distorts.
    Not sure what strings he uses on there but the lowest is 130 I believe. That's pretty thick?

As the guitars are so high gain I need a cleaner sound than both of them.
    130 is what I use for a low B on all my instruments.  I feel like 135 and bigger loses a lot of attack, 125 is too thin for my tastes.  There's a noticeable difference between string types though, for example Pro Steels are more flexible than nickels at the same gauge.

As for which strings to try, Pro Steel D'Addarios are a good start.  That's what I use most of the time.  In general you get a clearer and crisper sounding low B with steel strings.  Nickel tends to be warmer, which can be the opposite of what you want in heavier genres.
    He uses Rotosound I think, on his weird tuned bass lol. I keep saying I like the Dunlops but he seems to prefer those. As its not my bass I can't exactly tell him what to put on there.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Not sure what strings he uses on there but the lowest is 130 I believe. That's pretty thick?
    I have something thicker than that on my Warwick Streamer V. 

As the guitars are so high gain, I need a cleaner sound than both of them.
    < Strokes beard >  Under these circumstances, what would Lemmy use? ;)
    Be seeing you.
    Which Rotos? They do both steel and nickel. I like the steels a lot but the brightness dies faster than D’Addario Pro Steels so I don’t use them. Their steels are stiffer and less scooped sounding than Pro Steels.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    edited July 2018
    Something active. It'll only need the lowest string, and it'll only need the first 5 frets. Lack of an output jack socket will also improve the sound.
    Also, every middle-of-the road metalcore band's bassist plays Ibanez SR300 series basses. Don't add any dirt whatsoever or you'll lose it in the mix alongside the Line 6 Spider guitar amps.
    And the correct answer, despite all this, is a Spector Legend 5.
    Which Rotos? They do both steel and nickel. I like the steels a lot but the brightness dies faster than D’Addario Pro Steels so I don’t use them. Their steels are stiffer and less scooped sounding than Pro Steels.
    I think they're the Nickel ones, I've only seen the pack once and its an Orangey coloured one I think.
    Also, every middle-of-the road metalcore band's bassist plays Ibanez SR300 series basses. Don't add any dirt whatsoever or you'll lose it in the mix alongside the Line 6 Spider guitar amps.
    There's no Line 6 amp here mate, Peavey's and Laneys!
    I think they're the Nickel ones, I've only seen the pack once and its an Orangey coloured one I think.
    Most metal/metalcore bassists I’m aware of would be using steel strings. The string choice changes the tone a lot.

Check this YT video out, GHS nickel vs D’Addario Pro steel on same bass, both brand new strings.

https://youtu.be/JTtR7K4Aels
    edited July 2018
    Most metal/metalcore bassists I’m aware of would be using steel strings. The string choice changes the tone a lot.

Check this YT video out, GHS nickel vs D’Addario Pro steel on same bass, both brand new strings.

https://youtu.be/JTtR7K4Aels
    As I said I'm not entirely sure if its steel or nickel. I'll ask as I do want to restring it before a show he never restrings it often enough and I hate dead strings!!
    I’m not familiar with that bass. I’ve tried other Ibanez basses, the higher range SR basses play nicely but I’m not so into the tone. I had an SRX for a while but I’m just not a massive lover of humbuckers on bass unless it’s a Music Man, or Precision - but they’re really a split single.
    edited July 2018
    That through-neck model should do the business for its owner. There is little in its specification for even the grumpiest bassist to dislike.
    He does have another 5 string but the pickups are fucked and he hasn't fixed it since.
    Bartolini pickups are resin-potted. Their innards are nigh on impossible to destroy. I have known Bartolini braided output cables to wear through near the soldering terminal tabs on the underside of each pickup. Screwing the pickups right down in their routed cavities might cause physical damage to the cables.

Far more likely is that something has gone awry with the Ibanez in-house active circuitry. Could be flimsy soldering joints onto the EQ PCB. Could be something as dumb as forgetting to changing the PP3.

If you can help the Ibanez/BTB owner to get his five string bass back up and running, perhaps, he will express his gratitude by giving you a really good deal on the Epiphone Thunderbird?

the correct answer, despite all this, is a Spector Legend
    Very probably. It would look right in Metalcore surroundings. With EMG-35 or -45 series soapbar pickups with the Solderless wiring harness, it would be a piece of piss to get whatever sound the OP desires without altering the outward appearance of the instrument. P, J, DC, CS, TW.

Be seeing you.

If you can help the Ibanez/BTB owner to get his five string bass back up and running, perhaps, he will express his gratitude by giving you a really good deal on the Epiphone Thunderbird?
    I really don't want it, it looks hideous on stage haha

Lestratcaster said:
    I really don't want it, it looks hideous on stage
    No further questions, m'lud. :)
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom