Volume issues - it's peeing me off

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1844
edited July 2018 in Amps
I'm getting hacked off with being told to turn down in my band.

I have a 30w egnater rebel that can be switched down to 1w but I mostly run it at 20w. We aren't a quiet band by any stretch but I'm always being told turn down. It's usually running on 1 or 2 on the master volume. I rarely play any clean but I struggle with drive pedals as every time I step on one the volume goes through the roof, even when they are turned down (strymin sunset and spark boost, way huge fuzz)

I can't get a lower powered amp, well I suppose I could but need to find a way to balance it all up. Our other guitarist seems to just turn up plug in and play, where as all my levels are different all the bloody time, I'm sure the knobs keep getting moved about in the pedal case.

I also have to stand right on top the a.o a lot of the time which can't help being g able to hear it

What the knowledge on becoming a plug and play chappy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Who’s telling you to turn down?
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1844
    The band but usually our drummers wife who stands out from with the iPad doing the sound 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    So your bass player and other guitarist who I’m guessing are both stood right in front of their own amps tell you to turn yours down?

it could just be that they can hear yours clearly but can’t hear their own because they’re stood on top of them.

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 282
    When you get it right (assuming it’s right sometimes!) use your camera to take a photo of where your knobs are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    edited July 2018
    Tilt it so that it's pointing at your head, but nobody else's. Let the PA take care of the sound out the front.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Raise the amp up and/or tilt it back so you can hear it properly, and point it somewhere other than out front - even fully sideways. Guitar speakers can be very directional.

Are you using the pedals as actual overdrives or boosts to push the amp harder? If the latter, do the former - it’s much more controllable, even though it’s not the current fashion/received wisdom.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Tell them to turn up and stop being pussies 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    +1 on the cleaner amp/dirtier pedal balance, it's a lot more predictable. 

Do you have an effects loop? If so, bung a volume pedal in it so you can self mix.

It may not be your fault at all, I depped with a band on Saturday with a bassist who was deafening on his favourite songs and inaudible on most others, making ME feel I was too loud or too quiet a lot of the time.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021

... I'm always being told turn down. 

How does it sound to you? ie. are you aware of your volume being inconsistent each time you set up to play?
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1844
    robinbowes said: no

How does it sound to you? ie. are you aware of your volume being inconsistent each time you set up to play?
    Yes very inconsistent
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Might be worth looking at a multi-effect where you can save you settings.  Occasionally you’ll need to tweak for the room but amp we will usually be fine.  

I love pedals and I’m slowly building up a board of separates but for gigging I much prefer having something ready to go as well as the reduced tap dancing.    
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    robinbowes said: no

Yes very inconsistent
    OK, so that's the issue you need to address.

There is a saying we use in IT:
    First reduce the standard deviation, then increase the mean
    Or, more colloquially:
    Make it the same, then make it better.
    You should figure out how have your rig sound the same every time you set it up, then you should be able to adjust it louder or quieter as required.

The suggestions others have made about positioning your cab will also apply.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    is "being told to turn down" constantly maybe not  symptomatic of other underlying politics in the band...??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    In your opening post I thought your language was interesting. Kinda sounded like you're not taking responsibility for your volume - like it's just something that happens and it's not your fault.

Your pedals are too loud even when you turn them down? How does that work? Pretty much every drive pedal I know can be turned down to totally silent.  :)

It's your rig. Learn how to operate it, take control.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    edited July 2018
    raise the amp up john.  Makes a huge difference.  I use a wickes stand thing that works perfectly.  

The other problem is that I seem to remember you are a giant so you probably can't hear what is happening below the ozone layer..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Oh mate @57Deluxe ; you've hit the nail squarely on the head there 
    I think you possibly need to buy a new pedal.. the "WAG filter"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Other guitarist in our band has an egnator tweeker with cab, the cab is super directional, if you stand right in front of it, it blows you head off, slightly to the side and it's a world of difference. 

Not withstanding that, try moving around to get an idea how you amp sounds from you band mates perspective. try it on 1w, what your hearing is way different from what's being projected out front where Yoko is.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    edited July 2018
    Can you convert the cab to open back by taking the back panel off? That will allow to you reduce the directionality, and see if that improves the off axis to axis volume issue. Ive just done this with a Marshall 1x12 in a smallish room and it’s improved the sound a lot.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    Open back cab preferably and then get it on a stand/box/chair/table and point it at the back of your head. If it's by your feet you will barely hear it but it'll be blasting the front row.

Some pedals appear to have a lot more volume when a valve amp is turned down low as there will be more headroom available and less natural compression happening. The volume needs to be adjusted accordingly.

Also, get a long lead and go stand by the moaners to hear what they're hearing and if they're just being twats about it.