NPD, Atomic Ampli-Firebox

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    p90fool said:
    Bit of a breakthrough today, the tone was more than passable on the Fly Rig on Saturday's gig, but it got a little lost a couple of times in a twin guitar band and was also a little flabby-sounding on a couple of songs.

This afternoon I dropped the Drive level on the Sansamp section until it was almost totally clean, then upped the drive on the Brit section to arrive at a similar gain level to where I started and everything just came together. It's articulate without brittleness, and it backs off into a natural sounding country tone without getting too thin. I can strum chords on the neck pickup with the volume down like it's an electro acoustic then get a Blackmore-ish lead when it's on full. 

I'm looking forward to this weekend's gigs a lot more now.

@dindude I only have 32 ohm headphones to hand at home, JVC and Superlux, and even with everything maxed on the Fly Rig it was too quiet. It sounded ok, but if I were practising with headphones I'd be inclined to run the Fly Rig and backing tracks or whatever into a small mixer to give you both ears and plenty of power. 
    Cheers for the info and for trying, I can use my little Yamaha mixer for exactly that. Think I’m gonna try one as a headphone practice solution before I blow a grand plus on a UA OX.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    Interested in this thread.  My solution to the weight problem was a Quilter Mach 2 Micropro (21lbs) as a clean pedal platform.  At recent gigs where I've only needed a few sounds I've been leaving the pedals at home and using a FlyRig 5 (original model) into the Quilter.  I still think there's room to optimise this, but it's been working well. 

I've recently become involved in a project where I'd ideally have access to a wider range of effects for some gigs but don't want the extra weight and hassle of a pedalboard.  I'm thinking of picking up an HX Effects which would give me the alternatives of a one-unit "pedalboard" into the Quilter or into the FR5 and then direct into the PA. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    That's kind of what I'm doing with my G3. I run it after the Fly Rig for its effects, master volume control, tuner and XLR out. (Though I much prefer a separate tuner to the one in the G3). 

It's incredibly versatile for two small boxes, with the bonus that if either one dies on me both of them are amp modellers and I could finish the gig with either one of them. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    Yeah that's what I was thinking - the HX Effects would have a role similar to the G3 in your set up if I used the FR direct to pa - hence my interest in how it's working out for you.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    This thread inspired me to pick up a Flyrig 5 Plexi for headphone practice and recording. Physical knobs and less options just work better for me, as does anolog tbh. Early days but I’m getting some really good sounds out of it, just really easy to dial in some nice inspiring tones that feel right under the fingers.

This is is my little headphone rig, for guitar and bass, can add the iPad for recording too. The little Yamaha mixer is blooming brilliant utility thingy that is also a usb recording interface that works with iOS.

https://i.imgur.com/dCVD8fG.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_P said:
    I totally get what you’re saying about building a smallish board around the flyrig and how it could get you through a gig on its own but the bass flyrig does have a tuner and a switchable pre/post boost - add those to the guitar versions and it would awesome. 
    There is a new Richie Kotzen Fly Rig coming out at some point that has a built in tuner, but not the post drive Boost option unfortunately :( he's using 2 on tour at present
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    John_P said:
    I totally get what you’re saying about building a smallish board around the flyrig and how it could get you through a gig on its own but the bass flyrig does have a tuner and a switchable pre/post boost - add those to the guitar versions and it would awesome. 
    There is a new Richie Kotzen Fly Rig coming out at some point that has a built in tuner, but not the post drive Boost option unfortunately :( he's using 2 on tour at present
    I don’t understand what they are thinking.     The RK sounds awesome imo but why they think bassists need an option for post gain boost and guitarists don’t seems very odd. 
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Just bumping this thread because I've been reading that there's a new Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 version (Version 2) promised Real Soon Now (this Spring allegedly). Among other things, the new version has the option of post- and pre- gain boost and a tuner and an effects loop.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/flyrig5_v2.html

I think I'm interested.

Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere on theFretBoard...

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    @smigeon that does look interesting, I could happily gig with just that unit alone by the look of it.