Hosepipe ban

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Nitefly said:

Another gem from 1976:  we had a Minister for Drought (Denis Howell if I remember aright).  His main contribution was the tasteful rhyme, concerning not flushing the loo, to save water:

"If it's yellow, let it mellow!
    If it's brown, flush it down!"

Can you see any of today's lot bettering that? 

Don't flush down your massive shit,
    We need it to plan Brexit...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    It is becoming necessary to get more than one use from the water that comes forth from our taps. Waste water (grey water) from whb, sinks, showers, washing machines etc can be collected and used to water lawns and flower beds for example. In chez Rocker, we keep a couple of buckets and collect the water used to wash veg and dishes also water that was used for cooking. In our house this is close to two bucketfulls each day. Helps the environment in a very small way. The roses are thriving as are the bedding plants. Worth the effort IMHO
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @Rocker my mum noticed that water containing soap or detergent isn't that good for vegetation, but from your examples yes I'd re-use as much water as possible eg that used for washing veg can be used to water veg still growing! Water used to cook veg -> gravy!

My mum also found the lav u-bend blocked with black sludge after a few years of using soapy water to flush it with.
    Take care!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @Phil_aka_Pip grey water recovery systems are expensive but likely to be used more in future house builds. Our roses and bedding plants are thriving on grey water. Reuse of water simply has to be considered these very hot days if plants and flowers are not to be left to die in the ground. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Grey water recycling should (and will) be way more common in new builds over the next few years.
    The whole idea of us flushing our toilets with water that's good enough for drinking is just crazy!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    Grey water recycling should (and will) be way more common in new builds over the next few years.
    The whole idea of us flushing our toilets with water that's good enough for drinking is just crazy!
    Agreed, I'd like to see it happen, and the cost of conversion kits for older houses come down as well.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Hmmm, I think to myself. Washing and cooking, drinking coffee etc., versus letting my garden wilt a bit.

Anyway Welsh Water waste all that money printing letters and leaflets in Welsh, so surely that's a green flag to me to wantonly waste water. Surely? What is that Welsh stuff anyway? All consonants it is, evil bastards.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Nitefly said:

Another gem from 1976:  we had a Minister for Drought (Denis Howell if I remember aright).  His main contribution was the tasteful rhyme, concerning not flushing the loo, to save water:

"If it's yellow, let it mellow!
    If it's brown, flush it down!"

Can you see any of today's lot bettering that? 

He was a hero. Was only in the job for 24 hours when the heavens opened and it started to rain.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Now I’m not one to jump in (lol) but that’s not exactly the deepest river in the country - the dried out stretches can be walked across in heavy flow and you’d struggle to get a paper boat to float on it usually..
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Rocker said:
    It is becoming necessary to get more than one use from the water that comes forth from our taps. Waste water (grey water) from whb, sinks, showers, washing machines etc can be collected and used to water lawns and flower beds for example. In chez Rocker, we keep a couple of buckets and collect the water used to wash veg and dishes also water that was used for cooking. In our house this is close to two bucketfulls each day. Helps the environment in a very small way. The roses are thriving as are the bedding plants. Worth the effort IMHO
    The water companies clean and recycle it. The UK gets more than enough water for its needs. There just needs to be a nationwide strategy rather than going all third world and flushing your toilet with washing up water.

My water company wants to build a new reservoir. Local NIMBYs block it and then moan there's a hosepipe ban. The NIMBY's should be overruled. These days you can put water storage facilities underground and build over them so you don't need to flood half the countryside.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    Rocker said:
    The water companies clean and recycle it. The UK gets more than enough water for its needs. There just needs to be a nationwide strategy rather than going all third world and flushing your toilet with washing up water.

My water company wants to build a new reservoir. Local NIMBYs block it and then moan there's a hosepipe ban. The NIMBY's should be overruled. These days you can put water storage facilities underground and build over them so you don't need to flood half the countryside.
    But doing the latter is so much cheaper, and because privatised water companies put shareholder before everyone else you can guarantee they won't build them underground, so the NIMBYs are right.
  • Hmmm, I think to myself. Washing and cooking, drinking coffee etc., versus letting my garden wilt a bit.

Anyway Welsh Water waste all that money printing letters and leaflets in Welsh, so surely that's a green flag to me to wantonly waste water. Surely? What is that Welsh stuff anyway? All consonants it is, evil bastards.
    Dwr Cymru, as a statutory undertaker, are required by law to provide a bilingual service for which I am very grateful. The Welsh alphabet has seven vowels, English has five. And I like to think I’m not an evil bastard :smile: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    edited July 2018
    @Phil_aka_Pip ;; Wow indeed - fascinating story! 

Did you know we have a similar one in the Lake District, at Haweswater?  Two villages flooded out to construct a reservoir for Manchester Corporation Water Works in 1935 (earthworks began in 1929):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haweswater_Reservoir

Interesting "Withnail and I" reference at the end...

*edit* it's pretty empty itself just now:

https://www.countryliving.com/uk/wildlife/countryside/a22099046/lost-cumbrian-village-mardale-green-heatwave-dries-haweswater-reservoir/

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    I think it time we also had a Hornpipe Ban...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    And a horsepipe ban
    I will be glad when the weather gets back to normal. Forty days without rain. Our reservoir of harvested rainwater is running low, the car is dirty and dusty (as all the other cars in our area are), zero grass growth. We had a hurricane or two before Christmas, heavy snowfall, rain that caused flooding and saturated the land and now a bad dry spell. Is this the blueprint for our future weather? I hope not....

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

57Deluxe said:
    That rules out Georg Haendel's Water Music then
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    water pressure at mine has dropped. Taps are dripping. im on a metre. its a conspiracy.  
    A woman i work with has a Daughter aged about 19. The woman said she complained to her daughter about the Gas bill as she is constantly spending too much time in the shower.
    Daughter said "I dont use the gas, just the hot water"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom