Line 6 powercab

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Dan_Halen said:
    Nice one thanks guys!

Next questions... does it actually make a tangible difference and is there a reason it couldn't just be incorporated into a new block in the Helix signal chain in a firmware update - is it not just essentially a fancy EQ? Is there a reason the modelling needs to be handled by the cab or is this just a way to try and sell a load of these things?
    As I was typing my response I thought exactly the same.  Would have to be handled a bit different as most FRFR speakers have a high frequency driver as well.  The powercab does, but it's disabled in speaker emulation model.

Think it's basically putting an equaliser after the cab/mic block, but it would be nice if Helix had a pre-set 'in the room' mode
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26465
    edited May 2018
    Dan_Halen said:
    Nice one thanks guys!

Next questions... does it actually make a tangible difference and is there a reason it couldn't just be incorporated into a new block in the Helix signal chain in a firmware update - is it not just essentially a fancy EQ? Is there a reason the modelling needs to be handled by the cab or is this just a way to try and sell a load of these things?
    No, not really - because the whole point is to make the speaker behave like a different speaker. The model of the "different speaker" has to be tuned to the specific physical speaker that's in the cab.

Guitar speaker behaviour is not just a case of EQ - otherwise there wouldn't be a need for impulse responses etc. Guitar speakers behave quite differently under different circumstances. Then you've got breakup characteristics, speaker distortion (which happens even way before breakup, but colours the sound significantly) etc.
    <space for hire>
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    What they’ve done with the Powercab is work out what they need to add or subtract from the built in speaker EQ wise to make it sound like a V30, Jensen, Greenback etc
    Helix has no idea what it’s connected to speaker wise so it’s more complicated than just adding another block to the Helix.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    simonk said:
    What they’ve done with the Powercab is work out what they need to add or subtract from the built in speaker EQ wise to make it sound like a V30, Jensen, Greenback etc
    Helix has no idea what it’s connected to speaker wise so it’s more complicated than just adding another block to the Helix.
    Maybe a parameter in the 'in the room' block to tell it what amp/cab it's connected to?  You never know, they've added some pretty amazing stuff to it since it's launch (still cant get my amp switching working though!)
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    simonk said:
    Does the Helix need to know what it's connected to though beyond it being attached to a FRFR speaker? Unless the speaker in the Powercab is completely different to a normal FRFR. I guess I'm trying to say that unless some additional wizardry happens in the powercab beyond just switching algorithm then the Helix could surely handle it?
    edited May 2018
    I'm not saying you're incorrect by the way, just trying to wrap my head around the concept - very much appreciate the replies!
    Dan_Halen said:
    simonk said:
    Does the Helix need to know what it's connected to though beyond it being attached to a FRFR speaker? Unless the speaker in the Powercab is completely different to a normal FRFR. I guess I'm trying to say that unless some additional wizardry happens in the powercab beyond just switching algorithm then the Helix could surely handle it?
    The Powercab speaker is more like a traditional guitar speaker, in a traditional guitar sized cabinet, with some modeling feeding it that makes it sound like a Greenback, Jensen etc
    So, what you’re hearing is guitar through a 12” guitar speaker, in a cabinet, in the room with you. And that’s the bottom line I think really... the Powercab is offering something physical that headphones, studio monitors, PA speakers struggle to recreate.
    I’d also add that I have a range of PA speakers here, and they all sound different... so I’m not sure there’s anything that’s truly ‘flat response’ really.

Cheers for the clarification. Actually sounds like quite a good idea in that case!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    If they come out with a lightweight 2x12 option in the future then I'm in! Love the idea behind this as I find IRs fiddly to get the right one.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited June 2018
    I have had to go back to Victory V30 and 1x12 cab with my Helix for pub gigs as the direct to PA sound is not working with a 2nd guitarist using an amp and cab so I thought this Powercab may solve the problem but it's sounding like that is not the case? Bigger venues we mic up but most gigs are just backline and only vocals are thru PA.
    Also, what's the difference between the normal powercab and the plus model?

EDIT: Meant to say - the FRFR I have is fine as a monitor but the sound level and more importantly the projection is not right for using it as a cab in the band situation!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9450
    edited June 2018
    Following on from @Vaiai comments, I could do with some help and thoughts here guys...

I rehearsed last night with the Kemper into a small Zilla Dinky 1x12 with a Neo Creamback in it. It actually sounded very good indeed, but I could have done with a more fuller sound maybees...

I also briefly tried it with a DXR10, which was slightly harsher (could have been the Kemper setting). The DXR 10 was substantially louder, and filled the room more.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether the Powercab is loud enough in a band setting ?

The Zilla Creamback 1x12 was less reactive to the different amp sounds from the Kemper; I guess it was shaping them as a cab itself.

Does the Powercab operate as a true FRFR ? That is, would it be sensitive to the various changes in the Kemper cabs ?

Cheers
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 385
    Following on from @Vaiai comments, I could do with some help and thoughts here guys...

I rehearsed last night with the Kemper into a small Zilla Dinky 1x12 with a Neo Creamback in it. It actually sounded very good indeed, but I could have done with a more fuller sound maybees...

I also briefly tried it with a DXR10, which was slightly harsher (could have been the Kemper setting). The DXR 10 was substantially louder, and filled the room more.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether the Powercab is loud enough in a band setting ?

The Zilla Creamback 1x12 was less reactive to the different amp sounds from the Kemper; I guess it was shaping them as a cab itself.

Does the Powercab operate as a true FRFR ? That is, would it be sensitive to the various changes in the Kemper cabs ?

Cheers
    The Powercab is a closed back 112 so is therefore very directional. I would say the if you listen on-axis, then it is loud in enough for you’re average rock band in a medium venue but not so if you’re listening off-axis.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9450
    matt1973 said:

The Powercab is a closed back 112 so is therefore very directional. I would say the if you listen on-axis, then it is loud in enough for you’re average rock band in a medium venue but not so if you’re listening off-axis.
    Thanks Matt :)

I did try one very briefly at Guitar Guitar, but was VERY underwhelmed by it. It may have been the profile used on their Kemper, as that sounded average.

Would like more time to try one.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I was told a Powercab wasn't loud enough for our function band (no PA in pub gigs)  - in saying that - I had my V30 re-valved the other day and plugged it in last night at home with a Hoffnine 1x12 and just played with guitar straight in - sounded great!

I'm thinking I'll just use the Helix for FX in this instance but still going direct to PA for rehearsal and wedding gigs. I hate carrying all the gear when I know it's all in that magic box at my feet!
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    I've heard of people gigging with a helix into the front end of a boss katana, set on acoustic mode. Might be worth a try?
  • Would the Powercab be suitable for switching between electric guitar, acoustic guitar and a keyboard on a gig?
    Would the Powercab be suitable for switching between electric guitar, acoustic guitar and a keyboard on a gig?
    I don’t see why not... in flat mode it’s little more than a guitar cab shaped FRFR speaker. It doesn’t have the grunt of something like a DXR10 if that’s something to go by.