Ricky Bass for €5

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4941
Music Minds (Liffey Street, Dublin) are raffling a Rocky bass. Tickets which include two plectrums, are €5 each. Definitely worth a punt. Looks a lovely instrument, not sure of the model. But it is a Ricky and it will cost the new owner €5
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    That's about €5 more than it's worth, then ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    edited July 2018
    Rocker said:
    raffling a Rocky bass.
    Is it in the Tiger's Eye finish?

That's about €5 more than it's worth, then

Now Albert 'ad 'eard about lions. 
    'Ow they was ferocious and wild;
    To see lion lyin' so peaceful
    Just didn't seem right to the child
    So straightway the brave little feller
    Not showin' a morsel of fear
    Took 'is stick with the 'orse's 'ead 'andle
    And stuck it in Wallace's ear
    You could see that the lion din't like it
    For givin' a kind of a roll
    'E pulled Albert inside the cage with 'im
    And swallered the little lad - 'ole!
    Be seeing you.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited July 2018
    @Funkfingers in for a penny in for a pound:

I don't like Teles and I don't like Bigsbys either.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    No skin off my nose. 

I like Rickenbacker 4001 bass guitars but not enough that I go proselytising for their wider acceptance. 

Assuming that the raffle instrument mentioned in the OP is a genuine Rickenbacker rather than some Sylvester Stallone tribute model, it is probably one of the unfashionable 200 Series or the semi-hollow 4004.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    It may well be one of the unfashionable models @Funkfingers but it is a genuine Ricky AFAICT. Music Minds is a decent if small music shop that caters for a wide range of musicians. I doubt they would try to pawn off a Ricky copy. The bass is black with white bindings etc. Worth a flutter ........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    No skin off my nose. 

I like Rickenbacker 4001 bass guitars but not enough that I go proselytising for their wider acceptance. 

Assuming that the raffle instrument mentioned in the OP is a genuine Rickenbacker rather than some Sylvester Stallone tribute model, it is probably one of the unfashionable 200 Series or the semi-hollow 4004.
    4003S in Jetglo. I'd say that's pretty fashionable..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You will have to excuse me for not rushing out to research the store or its raffle. I do not make much use of plectrums and I already have a Rick 4001.

Ricky, Rocky. Po-teh-to, po-tah-to. Let's call the whole thing off.
    Be seeing you.
    You will have to excuse me for not rushing out to research the store or its raffle. I do not make much use of plectrums and I already have a Rick 4001.

Ricky, Rocky. Po-teh-to, po-tah-to. Let's call the whole thing off.
    I sometimes wonder how many buses I’d have to catch to get to your wibbly wobbly world ;)
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 494
    Nice find...cheers for posting  :)

I have a 4003s in Ruby Red. I think it's a great bass. Winning one ought to make someone's day.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    "The 4003S design hes that traditional and unique Rickenbecker look."

The S presumably standing for Southern, as in hemisphere...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    I don't understand the feeling of negativity re: this bass. I have never handled or played a Rick instrument but @ICBM speaks highly of their basses. Which is good enough for me. 

I posted the raffle details as there is the possibility of forum members being in Dublin and if so, why not have a punt for this bass. The shop will very likely make a good profit on the raffle and if so, fair dues to them. 

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    I don't understand the feeling of negativity re: this bass. I have never handled or played a Rick instrument but @ICBM speaks highly of their basses. Which is good enough for me. 

I posted the raffle details as there is the possibility of forum members being in Dublin and if so, why not have a punt for this bass. The shop will very likely make a good profit on the raffle and if so, fair dues to them. 
    Like I said, bass loyalty divides players like nothing in the guitar world. Some are 4’ers and some 5’ers - some P or J, others Stingray or Ric.

I have never played a J I like, but I’m not just a P man - I’ve played a lot of basses and I love those funky Ibanez style basses and a lot of semi acoustics I’ve played too..
    Although I joke about it, and I do only own one bass, I don’t *only* like Ricks...

For what it’s worth, I also love the sound of the Precision (but find them too large and cumbersome), the feel of the Jazz (but can’t quite get a sound I love out of one), the sound of the Gibson Thunderbird (but find them too long and ungainly, and the fragile headstock scares me), the playability and light weight of the Mustang Bass (but not the slightly weak and undefined sound), the sound of the Gibson EB-2/Epiphone Rivoli (but not its lack of versatility, although the two-pickup version is slightly better), the sound of the MusicMan Stingray (but like the P-Bass, less so the size)...

... and so on. The Rick is just the one that fits me best and sounds the way I want while having the least issues, for me. It’s also associated with a lot of my musical influences, from the Beatles to Deep Purple to The Jam to modern bands like Editors - and a huge number of others across a vast range of genres.

I also don’t really see the point in having more than one bass, unless the other one is fretless. I’m slowly working on that idea, and it won’t be a Rick - in my opinion they don’t suit it.

Does that make any sense? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

@ICBM - it all makes sense apart from one bit - “I also don’t really see the point in having more than one bass”

For me, just like guitars, two basses of the same type can be wildly different. Take the 64 and 74 precision’s I have - they are like chalk and cheese sound, feel and playability wise - very different. 

I have the ibanez semi with a piezo pickup - once again, totally different to play and a completely different sound. If you can’t notice the difference between two basses of different type in a band mix then your back line isn’t doing a good enough job of making your sound distinct enough. 

But just like the many guitarists on here - you don’t have to have more than one - but it’s a joy and a pleasure to be able to have more than one. 
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited July 2018
    5 for the ticket plus 2 for shipping plus more for currency conversion... is Ryan Air involved in this?

a black ricky is a dream bass 'll bever be able to afford in real life, so this seems something to try, but shipping for a raffle ticket? grrr.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited July 2018
    ICBM said:

I also don’t really see the point in having more than one bass, unless the other one is fretless. I’m slowly working on that idea, and it won’t be a Rick - in my opinion they don’t suit it.

Does that make any sense?
    what about six string? no shergold six string, no lush peter hook 'swoony style' new order riffage. that would be a massive loss to humanity, mine especially. i heart hooky.

am toying with the idea of a fretless myself, but haunted by all those horrible farty tromboney basslines from the 1980s ('wherever i lay my hat' & that whole slimy-smeary 'gracelands' schtick).
    once you've heard that evilness, it's really hard to unhear it.
    i would not want to be in the same room as any bass if i was playing it & those noises started coming out of it. but tempted to get a budget one just to see if i could do something great with it.

would also be interested to try a shortscale 6 string like the shergold. an actual shergold 6 would be out of my budget, but they look interesting & rich in potential for creating sounds i am not bored to death of.

have you tried one?
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    @ICBM - it all makes sense apart from one bit - “I also don’t really see the point in having more than one bass”

For me, just like guitars, two basses of the same type can be wildly different. Take the 64 and 74 precision’s I have - they are like chalk and cheese sound, feel and playability wise - very different. 

I have the ibanez semi with a piezo pickup - once again, totally different to play and a completely different sound. If you can’t notice the difference between two basses of different type in a band mix then your back line isn’t doing a good enough job of making your sound distinct enough. 

But just like the many guitarists on here - you don’t have to have more than one - but it’s a joy and a pleasure to be able to have more than one. 
    I agree that basses sound different, it's just that for me, that isn't very useful because I tend to gravitate to the same sort of sound, so a bass that doesn't sound like that naturally is going to be a lot of effort to make work, and I'm fussy about feel - I can actually play almost any bass, I just don't like to. I'm the same with guitars to a large extent - it took me a long time to realise that, but now I have I'd be happy with owning just one guitar - I only have more than one because I've got a couple I can't quite bring myself to part with. In fact for a long time I did use just one guitar for everything with my band, even though I owned more than one.

For me, the only thing I can't do musically with my chosen type of fretted bass - whichever that happens to be, and it wasn't *always* a Rick ;) - is play fretless, so for me that's the only reason to have another one. You're entitled to have as many as you want of course :).

If I do get another bass, it's likely to be a fretless semi-acoustic. I'm still vaguely toying with the idea of buying the remains of that Epiphone Rivoli off my friend and making a neck for it... longer scale. But possibly not 34" ;).

ICBM said:

I agree that basses sound different, it's just that for me, that isn't very useful because I tend to gravitate to the same sort of sound, so a bass that doesn't sound like that naturally is going to be a lot of effort to make work, and I'm fussy about feel - I can actually play almost any bass, I just don't like to. I'm the same with guitars to a large extent - it took me a long time to realise that, but now I have I'd be happy with owning just one guitar - I only have more than one because I've got a couple I can't quite bring myself to part with. In fact for a long time I did use just one guitar for everything with my band, even though I owned more than one.

For me, the only thing I can't do musically with my chosen type of fretted bass - whichever that happens to be, and it wasn't *always* a Rick ;) - is play fretless, so for me that's the only reason to have another one. You're entitled to have as many as you want of course :).

If I do get another bass, it's likely to be a fretless semi-acoustic. I'm still vaguely toying with the idea of buying the remains of that Epiphone Rivoli off my friend and making a neck for it... longer scale. But possibly not 34" ;).
    I think this is one of those situations where it really depends on what you're doing with bass and where it fits in with the mix in the band context you are playing in.

See if I was the guitarist in a surf band, I'd want a nice offset with a trem as there's only one sort of guitar tone that you really need for that context.. 

I do only use one bass at gigs in the current originals band. Having said that, there's times when I would really like to get a good tonal contrast between some songs - you'd have to hear them to see what I mean, but one of the reasons I have put an active circuit in the ACG is to get some more variation to contrast between songs - some need more mids, some need more scooping, and some need that traditional P thump. It's a shame I don't like Jazz basses as it would be the perfect complement for a 2 bass setup. 
    edited July 2018
    Bridgehouse said:

I think this is one of those situations where it really depends on what you're doing with bass and where it fits in with the mix in the band context you are playing in.

See if I was the guitarist in a surf band, I'd want a nice offset with a trem as there's only one sort of guitar tone that you really need for that context.
    A Strat will do that just fine. In fact, one of the guys in the Ventures used one some of the time.

You also might be be surprised how good a sound you could get for that style with (say) a PRS or an Ibanez JEM. You really don't need to use different instruments to get different sounds if you don't want to.

You can also play rock and metal on a Jazzmaster if you really want, too...

I do only use one bass at gigs in the current originals band. Having said that, there's times when I would really like to get a good tonal contrast between some songs - you'd have to hear them to see what I mean, but one of the reasons I have put an active circuit in the ACG is to get some more variation to contrast between songs - some need more mids, some need more scooping, and some need that traditional P thump. It's a shame I don't like Jazz basses as it would be the perfect complement for a 2 bass setup. 
    That's partly why I like the Rick - two pickups, which can do very radically different sounds. For the band I'm in at the moment I rarely use anything other than the bridge pickup, but I have used the neck in the past.

Also - and I'm not just trying to wind you up here - there is no style of music where a fretted bass is used that can't be played on a Precision . If you want more tonal variation, you can do that with the amp.