Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I spent the night recreating my love rig of old using both channels of the Placater and the rangemaster in front of the Dirty channel
    Its just like it.
    inreally like that Amps clean channel. It’s just like a big 100w Marshall
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
  • hey guys , 

I've just bought the Michael Britt Helix patches from his website ; this has been a revelation for me , they sound perfect for me through a PA direct with the band ; so much so I've now abandoned the amp and I'm going direct from now on. They seem to be tailored for use in this kind of scenario ; previously I found I couldn't get a sound I felt comfortable with ( either too much bass or too cutting on the top end ) . For the price it is for the patches it's been amazing for me : solved so many problems , you also get his impulse responses which seem tailored to this application and sound fantastic. I highly recommend them to anyone looking to use Helix in a live direct scenario. 

https://mbritt.com/product/m-britt-helix-preset-pack-1/
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    @sidthekidlives I did similar with the Big Preset pack from one of the guys on the L6 forum (his name escapes me but he did massive preset packs for all of the big name modellers).

It transformed the unit.

Don't discount some of the customtone ones from L6 too - especially the Hindmarsh ones - they have actually replaced all presets on mine they are that good..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    hey guys , 

I've just bought the Michael Britt Helix patches from his website ; this has been a revelation for me , they sound perfect for me through a PA direct with the band ; so much so I've now abandoned the amp and I'm going direct from now on. They seem to be tailored for use in this kind of scenario ; previously I found I couldn't get a sound I felt comfortable with ( either too much bass or too cutting on the top end ) . For the price it is for the patches it's been amazing for me : solved so many problems , you also get his impulse responses which seem tailored to this application and sound fantastic. I highly recommend them to anyone looking to use Helix in a live direct scenario. 

https://mbritt.com/product/m-britt-helix-preset-pack-1/
    Just had a listen to those and they sound great.  Totally happy with my home made ones though.  When I first got it I did download some Choptones presets and although they weren't exactly what I wanted they did give me some ideas to use in my own presets.

Some of the 'problem' with the Helix is there are so many options, just as easy to make something sound awful as it is to make it sound good, but once you get the hang of it it really is an amazing bit of kit, wouldn't be without one!
    welshboyo said:
    @sidthekidlives I did similar with the Big Preset pack from one of the guys on the L6 forum (his name escapes me but he did massive preset packs for all of the big name modellers).

It transformed the unit.

Don't discount some of the customtone ones from L6 too - especially the Hindmarsh ones - they have actually replaced all presets on mine they are that good..

That'l be 'Fremen' had a listen to some of his and they were all too effected for me, loads of reverb and delay on everything, but his demos do sound great
  • sidthekidlivessidthekidlives Frets: 15
    edited July 2018
    welshboyo said:

It transformed the unit.

I must admit I'd previously discounted paid preset packs before but I'd heard great things about the Michael Britt stuff on Kemper so thought I'd give it a go . He's absolutely nailed the kind of sounds I need at the moment and the key there seems to be the IR's which he's set up very well with the patches themselves ; more for a live direct application I would say. The amount of time this has saved me is amazing , not to mention a complete elimination of faffing with presets during rehearsals which drives band mates nuts . 
  • So I was thinking about this Power Cab dooda and basically it’s a kind of a neautral guitar speaker that then basically has an eq/ir placed over the top to make it have the frequency response of another speaker? Right?

So, in theory some clever clogs can manipulate an IR file I could load into Helix to make my v30 sound like a greenback? Or a g12h sound like an alnico blue? Surely someone out there can do that math?
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Hey guys, used to have a Helix about a year ago and.moved to an AX8. Not looking to start a war or anything, but one of the major differences I found between them was that the ax8 amps just felt and responded better; has this been addressed in the later Helix firmwares? Has the feel and responsiveness been improved?
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    hey guys , 

https://mbritt.com/product/m-britt-helix-preset-pack

That's what i did a few months ago - i just couldn't get a sound that was better or as good as my amp. I now use the Michael Britt patches saved to a new location with my fx and sometimes a new amp. I have now used it straight into the pa with a RCF powered speaker on a stand behind me for a few gigs now. 
    FarleyUK said:
    Hey guys, used to have a Helix about a year ago and.moved to an AX8. Not looking to start a war or anything, but one of the major differences I found between them was that the ax8 amps just felt and responded better; has this been addressed in the later Helix firmwares? Has the feel and responsiveness been improved?
    There haven't been any major changes to existing amps according to Line 6, but there have been quite a few new ones.  The default settings for some have been changed so they sound better before any tweaking.  For me, and I've played both, the Helix amps sound, feel, and respond every bit as good as the Axe FX and the UI is heaps better IMO.

each to their own though, and if you like the axe fx then no need to change, I don't think one is sonically 'better' than the other, just a bit different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I finally tried the Helix into a decent monitor and it sounded great.  I could easily use the Deluxe Reverb as my main sound.  That said I’ve just ordered a new amp, so I’ll be sticking to valve amps for the foreseeable.... 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    FarleyUK said:
    No it's still absolutely diabolical and you'd really hate it.  To be honest I only use Helix for all my recordings, rehearsals and gigs because it's cheap and I couldn't afford a proper unit.  I have no ear for tone or feel or responsiveness or any of that obscure subjective stuff so it's not an issue for me that it is so bad.  It's a bloody good job the audiences are always profoundly deaf or I'd be completely screwed.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Quick question -  Updating a mates Helix, no idea what firmware he has.

Do I just use the latest Helix edit to back up and then the latest editor to go direct to 2.60?
    Or do I need an older editor to back it up? 

I've always been though each firmware upgrade incrementally, I seem to remember something about using older versions of the software if your Helix was several updates out-of-date.  Although may have dreamt that!!
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I just got a Helix which was on v1.something just fired up the updater software and it installed 2.6.  Funnily, it recommended that I did a full backup but when I started HX edit, it said I needed to update the firmware before I could use it!
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited July 2018

Quick question -  Updating a mates Helix, no idea what firmware he has.

Do I just use the latest Helix edit to back up and then the latest editor to go direct to 2.60?
    Or do I need an older editor to back it up? 

I've always been though each firmware upgrade incrementally, I seem to remember something about using older versions of the software if your Helix was several updates out-of-date.  Although may have dreamt that!!
    You have to backup using the version of the editor that is compatible with the firmware version you are starting with. 

The upgrade procedure is different depending on whether you are starting with V2.20 or higher, or, V2.12.2 or lower.  The new upgrade procedure is very easy, the old one was much more of a faff.  The V2.30 release notes explain the different procedures:

Also note that prior to V2.30 of the editor there was no "one button saves everything" backup function and no way to back up the global settings so these will be lost if starting with Helix firmware of V2.12.2 or lower.  Make a note of what the global settings all are before you start if in this situation unless your mate doesn't care about them all being lost.

“He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Finally got around to using & tweaking the Factory  template files on the Helix...very useful. 

Not sure why it's taken me so long to do so, but better late than never!
    Just been playing with my Helix.  At the moment I'm pretty much using one patch (JCM800) with 4 snapshots and a few switchable effects for our whole set I've spent a lot of time on the patch and to my ears sounds great.  Today I  thought I'd just try some more of the amp models.  Have a couple of observations:

Just using the default amp/cab block with no other effects other than a bit of reverb it sounds great.  I'm sure this wasn't the case on the release firmware 2 years ago.

Switching between presets is almost gapless, again I'm sure this wasn't the case on the release firmware 2 years ago.

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Updated both my Floor and LT to 2.6 earlier then promptly had to go through my presets (not too much ball ache as I only have 4 for gigging) and unwet the reverb. Everything is sounding sweet though and I’m loving the Cali Clean model.